How to calculate the pot odds?

telford777

telford777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all!
Can somebody please tell me how to calculate the pot odds? No matter how much I read and watch, I cannot get my head around it.

It is well documented that a good poker player can quickly calculate the pot odds and factor then into the viability of playing his/her hand.

I just get confused. The more money that goes into the pot, the more my mind scrambles.....especially when I play time limit games.

Thankyou in advance.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look, it's not as hard as it seems to.

For example, the pot is 10$, you have 7 and 8 of spates on your hands, the flop is 6 of spates, 9 of spates and ace of hearts. Of course, we are assuming that the opponent has a better hand, like pocket kings of hearts and diamonds.

So, you saw the flop and you see that the opponent bets 5$, so the pot is now 15$. After this, you have to calculate your outs. Outs in the poker - it is cards, which can make your hand better. So, in this situation, you can have straight, you can have flush and even straight flush. Just 1 thing you have to remember, that 1 out = 2%. So, there are 12 cards of spates in the card pack, but we already see 4 of them, that means that we have 9 outs for the flush, but you still can have straight, for straight you need a T or a 5. There are four Ts in the pack and four 5s. This is plus 8 outs, so now you have 9+8=17 outs, BUT, the main mistake that you can make, that you have to remove 2 of your outs, 17-2=15 outs. Why? Because we included 5 and T of spates into the outs. So, as was mentioned before - 1 out = 2%. That means that now you have 30% to win.

So, the pot is 10$+5$ bet from the opponent=15$. How to calculate the pot odds?
You have to divide the bet and the pot+bet. In this case, it will look like this:
5/15+5=0.25. 0.25 is the same as 1/4 or 25%. But you have 30% to win, and 25% is less than 30%. It follows from this, that it is profitable for you to call. I hope you understood everything. Good luck!

telford777

telford777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thankyou for your reply.I really appreciate the time you took to explain this to me but it still confused me.I understand the outs rule, but then I assume the pot odds half if I don't hit my required card on the turn?
Also,I would have contributed toward the pot also, so do I need to factor that in to the equation also? Apologies, but my maths is really bad and by the time I have tried to work out the pot odds(badly), either the time runs out(on tourneys) or if at a real table, my opponents just know that I am attempting to count the pot odds...... Which telegraphs that I have a potentially decent hand.... Then they will usually fold.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator