How to avoid going broke from set over set?

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hit a set on the flop how would you play it? I normally do check raise or cbet like usally. Facing a raise will you reraise it?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are supposed to go broke.

The chances of your opponent also flopping a set are so small this is why the quote is so true. Unless you have a deadset read on your opponent and you are SURE without any doubt whatsoever that they have a bigger set - you are always going broke in this spot. Its part of the game. Its the same instance as Kings running into Aces preflop. It's not pretty, its not even all that likely, but it WILL and if you play long enough IS going to happen to you. Chalk it up to part of the game, just know you did what you were supposed to do and move forward.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chances of your opponent also flopping a set are so small this is why the quote is so true. Unless you have a deadset read on your opponent and you are SURE without any doubt whatsoever that they have a bigger set - you are always going broke in this spot. Its part of the game. Its the same instance as Kings running into Aces preflop. It's not pretty, its not even all that likely, but it WILL and if you play long enough IS going to happen to you. Chalk it up to part of the game, just know you did what you were supposed to do and move forward.
To funny.. I have run into full house over full house at-least ten times in the following week alone. My full house ran into quad three times this week to. No need to go any further than a week.

I play eight tourneys a day. No super tablier or marathon player. Online is the place for bad beat heaven. DO your tilt session and move on. Go play live and become the player you want to be.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The beats in online play come fast and furious. Ita due to the amount of hands you are able to see and play. I've ran through a pretty rough downswing before. The variance live is so much less because you dont see but about 1/3 of the hands per hour that you do at a single table online. Playing in both realms is relevant and will help your game - I think going through the "bad beats" and the suckouts online will help control you from falling to pieces if you start running bad in a live event.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet of course to start making the pot grow but if a player bet before me then I just call flop and turn. if my opponent continues to bet on the river then I run my all-in if I think I have the best hand.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9x out of 10 I'm getting felted. The only exception to that would be pending what preflop action ensued and what opponent's normal hand range is. But, I'd be hard presses to let go of a set.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no real set way of playing sets to guarantee success. What you do really depends on what you have observed on your table up until that point... what happened in prior hands, pre-flop, post-flop betting, observations of opponent's tendencies, your position, etc.

If the villain you are up against a TAG player who bets mostly for value (and not really bluffing that much in your estimation), and you are facing multiple re-raises on a wet board post-flop, then likelihood is that he has something stronger than high pair or even overpair and so you might need to be prepared to lay down the set.

If you are playing a LAG player, then the range of hands that could be beating his is larger and you could take your chances and calling all the way down (if OOP) or check-raise him all the way to the river (depending on what the board looks like).

If you aren't really sure what you are up against, and you haven't really been observing player tendencies... then that's probably something you'll need to address. Having a feel for a villain's style will have a big impact on whether you are willing to lay down a potentially big hand. HUDs can help you with this. If you are new to the table and haven't had a chance to figure out your competition, then you can probably take your chances and base most of your responses to the action (since that's all you have to go on).

I'll suggest that you post your hands here along with your observations of the villain and the more-than-capable members here will be able to give you some good suggestions on options on how to handle the situations in question. That's probably the best way to learn and where this community can be most helpful.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make sure you don't go BROKE and have the higher set with call bets

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hit a set on the flop how would you play it? I normally do check raise or cbet like usally. Facing a raise will you reraise it?

It depends what the flop is and how many players there are. For example you have a set of 5's and the flop consists of the same suit cards and a player is betting big then you probably have lost unless you want to chance the turn and river for a full house or quads. Otherwise you would bet big so no one catches on you.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set over set is rare and doesn’t happen enough to think of it happening to you( you play more hands online which is why you see it more)

If you are folding sets cause you think somebody has a higher too often you won’t be as profitable.

The times to be careful with a set is when there are potential flush and straight draws on flop.

I always raise or c-bet if the board is wet( I don’t want to scare anyone off before they hit their king or ace)

But if I get 3-bet with flush or str8 draws then I may call to see the card. If the betting gets too crazy and looks like he may have something higher than trips I’ll fold and have in the past.

But if the board is pretty dry rainbow and I’m getting 3-bet than most of the time they have top-pair, two pair, higher pocket pair than board, or they are bluff 3-betting (especially in micro stakes).

The rare few times they get me on a higher set I write it off as a bad beat or bad luck. But at the end of the day you’re more often 3-bet or raised with lower combos than a set and will make more than the few times you go broke

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basicaly its almost impossible not to go broke,you watch the pro's when this happens they will be talking and even saying the only thing you can have is a set but their money still goes in,then saying I knew it but couldn't get away, thats poker and why even really good players go broke

Last edited:
JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't avoid going broke in set over set situations at stacks = 100bbs or under. These are spots you go broke 100% of the time, bc you will be getting value so often.

When you can start to think about laying down sets is in super deep stacked cash games where it may not be such a good idea to put in 300 bbs with bottom set :)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure it's possible not to go broke after flopping a set. Usually after flopping a set you will call just about any bet, let's make sure you can cover your opponents' chipstack.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One important thing that I left out from my original response is that the texture of the flop is key in how you handle the set. Slowplaying a set is only advisable against a pretty loose-aggressive player post flop (which is to say... someone who is prone to bluffing or overplaying their hand) and either calling them to the river if the flop is uncoordinated (no flush or set draws) or check-raising on the flop if you are OOP.

Majority of time, I'd cbet like I would if I had top pair though... but size of bet would be higher if it's a wet board and a lot of other players still in the hand to make them pay for their draws. Size of bet needs to be situational, and not based on value of hand... otherwise, keen observers will be able to figure out what you are holding based on your bet size.