Home Games With Fish

H

harrumff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get better at home games with fish. This game is so loose that the big blind is literally like an Ante.

I want to know how to "beat" this game with friends.

The issues
1) Folding pre-flop is looked down upon
2) No one really follows any standard betting rules
3) There is always one maniac at the table who will play with anything, and makes a point of sitting behind me.

I'm known as the tight aggresive guy at the table, but any and all bluffs are called almost all the way down to the river.

I end up seeing and playing too many pots out of position. Would love some tips on "winning"

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...Who cares. Fold preflop.

...then make up your own. Make a bet, get called, then be like "wait, I only wanted to bet [amount]" and pull some back.

If you get any flack for it, call them out on it and say if they cant follow betting rules, then you cant either.

3) There is always one maniac at the table who will play with anything, and makes a point of sitting behind me.
...then fold all your trash hands and raise it up nice and big with your monsters. I'd limp in a lot too with small pairs and suited connectors, get as much money in when I flop something strong.

I'm known as the tight aggresive guy at the table, but any and all bluffs are called almost all the way down to the river.
...Then obviously stop bluffing them and value bet to the river.

I end up seeing and playing too many pots out of position. Would love some tips on "winning".
...What do you mean by "winning"? Do you not want to win? I'm confused.

Anyway, it looks like you're just as fishy as the other players at the table. The easy solution is to stop calling bets preflop with weak hands OOP, and stop trying to bluff a loose call station.

These are the easiest players to play against. Just value bet them. Don't bet into/3bet into them without a really strong hand. And call your big draws more often when stacks are deep because you have a ton of implied odds.

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Yeah the situation you describe can be very frustrating.

Folding pre-flop: Well..you need to decide if you're going to play the way you normally would or if you just want to play the way the table is playing. If you play your normal game you'll just have to put up with being looked down upon. If you decide to play the way the table is playing all you can do is minimize the amount you put in with low value hands and big bet with high value hands.

Not Following Standard Betting Rules: I'm not sure what you mean by this, if you mean people are betting out of position so be it, just don't let it bother you. If you're getting most of your money in with mostly premium hands it'll work out.

One Maniac at the table playing anything behind you: In the long run this isn't a bad thing....sure the maniac will hit sometimes..but if you're playing better hands you'll win in time.

Any and all bluffs are called down to the river: Yeah you can't bluff people that won't fold...

End up playing too many pots oop: When you're playing super loose aggressive people it's easy to get sucked in. Again you either need to fold your marginal hands or decide to play them and minimize what you put in.

If it's just a game with friends (and it sounds like it is) for not a lot of money I'd probably just play for fun and not worry to much about optimal strategies and the like....flatting more pre, playing more straight/flush draws than I normally would, etc.. and accepting that sometimes I'll lose and just have fun.

H

harrumff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Folding pre-flop: Well..you need to decide if you're going to play the way you normally would or if you just want to play the way the table is playing. If you play your normal game you'll just have to put up with being looked down upon. If you decide to play the way the table is playing all you can do is minimize the amount you put in with low value hands and big bet with high value hands.

Not Following Standard Betting Rules: I'm not sure what you mean by this, if you mean people are betting out of position so be it, just don't let it bother you. If you're getting most of your money in with mostly premium hands it'll work out.

One Maniac at the table playing anything behind you: In the long run this isn't a bad thing....sure the maniac will hit sometimes..but if you're playing better hands you'll win in time.

Any and all bluffs are called down to the river: Yeah you can't bluff people that won't fold...

End up playing too many pots oop: When you're playing super loose aggressive people it's easy to get sucked in. Again you either need to fold your marginal hands or decide to play them and minimize what you put in.

If it's just a game with friends (and it sounds like it is) for not a lot of money I'd probably just play for fun and not worry to much about optimal strategies and the like....flatting more pre, playing more straight/flush draws than I normally would, etc.. and accepting that sometimes I'll lose and just have fun.

Super advice. I took it last night and came up $25 on a $25 buy in.

Limped a lot more draw hands, Kxs Qxs and folded on the flop. Raised up my better hands and value bet all the way down if I hit two pair+ on dry boards.

Thanks

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get better at home games with fish. This game is so loose that the big blind is literally like an Ante.

I want to know how to "beat" this game with friends.

The issues

I end up seeing and playing too many pots out of position. Would love some tips on "winning"

any rake involved in your home game?

if not, and other people don't mind

buyin shortstack , preflop all in all your chips regardless, and find a excuse after double, leave for a while like , I am going to buy a coffee or something, back in a few minutes, and reload your initial chips.

do it again and again.

play enough hands, EV and math is your friends.<- i believe if you can play 10K hands per months, using SSS at home game table you are sure a winner every month.

good luck.

H

harrumff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks for this. Very helpful

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games