Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If there's one thing we all have in common, it is a love for this game called poker. Whether it is Texas Hold'em or some other variant, we have all come to this forum for our love of the game. But do you know the history of poker?

Poker is widely believed to be a combination of several different games, and may go back in history much farther than you think! Check CardsChat's own history lesson right here:

History of Poker and Texas Hold'em

Top banner blanc

Did you learn something new?​

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a very interesting story, poker over the years has evolved to almost considered a sport, the internet has helped a lot to expand this beautiful game, I love poker

A

AxelJPB77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Important Data

Talking about the origin of poker is an extremely complicated task because, as with many other games, its beginnings are somewhat vague and diffuse and there is not much physical constancy (texts, photographs, news, ...). The vast majority of game historians cite a text written by Jonathan H. Green in 1934 as one of the oldest written references about poker.

This text details the rules of the game of poker and argues that, at the beginning, it was called the "cheating game". This game, popular on Mississippi ships, even without a proper name, is called poker by Green himself (he used the term "poker" for the first time), but even today the reasons why He used that word.

Other historians of the game, on the other hand, say that poker has a totally different origin and comes from a French word, "poque", that named a game of that nationality. Born from the French "poque", or not, the game was changing and evolving. In its beginnings it included only 32 cards and, little by little, it was reaching the 52 cards that make up the deck at present.:wink:

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a very interesting share. No I have not ever read up on that! thanks so much!

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool inside. Thank you! ;)
"...Chris Moneymaker, WSOP champion in 2003 and Greg Raymer, winner of the WSOP 2004..." seems so long ago. interestin how game has changed since that time. If some1 is interested check the old VODs on poker statregy and be amazed LUL
TY again

ReoRekop

ReoRekop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
incredible how far this cute game came

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While holdem is fairly new in comparison,
Different types of gambling similar to poker have been around since B.C Roman times and as long as the written word has been around.
Probably longer who knows if nobody recorded it.
Some say poker has its roots in minoan civilisation 3500 years ago.

Last edited:
BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the idea that a convicted felon learned his card skills while in prison and then had the audacity to choose a new name for the game which has stuck ever since. Only in the mighty US of A could a story like this have such true meaning and value. The land of Brave certainly rings true in this story. Defeating the odds of being a felon and being able to influence the future of what has turned out to be such a famous game. Imagine if he chose it to be called SNAP! How different the world would be!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmm I had read somewhere that Hold'em came about by Roadies Having only one pack of cards and decided to use two each and lay 5 face up for every one to make their hands from...

I Love the History of Poker (Poque)and the story of Jonathan H. Green... This Strategy Thread has been unique in all the Forum Challenge threads...

Thank You 1843 with out that Prison release we may be calling our favorite game some thing completely different...

I Still don't consider poker as gambling even though it uses chance as a basis...

Last edited:
bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I never thought dominoes were an ancient version of poker. I like dominoes too. now, when I get ready to play dominoes, I'll tell my friends, come on, let's beat a goat at poker. :D

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I learned a lot. I knew that playing cards are supposed to have been invented in China, but most of the evolution of poker I didn't. To be honest, the invention of hold'em after 5 card draw and 5 card stud is really brilliant.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very interesting stories about poker, something I read a while ago was that the bet was made with gold nuggets, imagine if you like the bet yet

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting to know a little about the history of poker, its beginnings, it has evolved, until today, the online game.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems logical that Poker was given its' name by a Mississippi gambling, ex-convict. It also is believable that the game started in Texas. As for the guys who have won the wsop main from online tournament wins, gives us all hope. Thank you for the article.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Chris Moneymaker was one of the great precursors of the transition from live poker to online poker. I remember him playing alongside Phil Ivey and Sam Farha (with the cigarette in the mouth without smoking, his lucky charm). :D

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I read a bit on it...one early form was from the French "poque"...and regarding a more recent history, a book called "Poker Faces" is a great read. That book describes the poker "economy.":flute:

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that Gutenberg invented the printing press, so that he could print some playing cards, for playing the game of poker, (and to get rid of those dang dominoes). As books were being printed and spreading around the world, so were playing cards, and the game of poker. But, maybe I am just bluffing???

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Didn't realise it had come from China. Explains the massive games and interest still in that part of the world. They love a card game over there

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Interesting the history of poker and texas holdem that developed in las
vegas and nowadays in all parts of the world it is played, both live and online.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting and informative, about the French version of the origin of the game heard, but about the Chinese and Indian have not heard. Not enough facts, is it not possible to find out what online poker room was the first and through which selected Moneymaker and Greg, it would be interesting.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have always wandered where it had come from and now i do :) me and my brother are always coming up with different ways to play hold em like instead of betting, we pay the blinds to receive a new hole card

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker was born in China, france or canada, never mind it is a bloody good game.
Did i learn something new, yes i never heard about the Chinese playing domino.

N

nolifescotty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing for a lot of years and I an remember playjng the 5 card draw poker with my buddys at home before the computer came to be. those were the days

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , very interesting !
I had no idea how poker got started , I figured it wasn't with cards at first , primitive games were always played with stones, sticks what ever was handy until they started to make dishes and tools - then games were a natural once they learned how to make the pieces for them.
It's like the evolution of man :)
I am sure every country has their own version and would like to take credit for what poker has become today , so they just all might have to settle for a historic contribution !
Thank-you for that bit of history - after all it is what CC is built on !

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to read this as soon as im finished with fold equity.... hehehe
TY