High and Low stakes...

C

chinogalfio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that in microstakes it is useless to apply what we see in high stakes. Who else thinks so?:confused::confused:

Last edited:
E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things surely are maybe not useless, but way less useful than in high stakes. For example gto is not as much important in lower levels. But imo its good, thats why the game is easier in micro stakes

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in microstakes it is useless to apply what we see in high stakes. Who else thinks so?:confused::confused:

I disagree. Lot of "tricks" I've learned from watching high stakes poker also work on the micros. However, I think understanding the situation is more important and typically the micros offer enough weaknesses that you can do well just by playing straight-forward poker.

However, some other situations (bluffing out of position is a big example of this one) won't work as well. (In this case, this is suicidal at micro levels because there are too many calling stations that aren't considering what you are representing. They will call your bluff down even with bottom pair!)

However some exploitative "tricks" I've learned from high stakes poker also work just as well at the micros. Tony G bombing big when he has the absolute nuts is something that works at all levels better than you would expect it too. When you go way bigger than a typical value bet (an especially useful play if you know they got a good piece of the board), it can sometimes look "bluffy" and they might call with much worse hands that wouldn't have even called a "standard bet." Granted, a lot of the time, they will just fold and you may lose out on potential small value bets, but the times where they do call, you might make up for the many spots you could have value bet and then earn some extra chips right there!