Hey Everyone have some questions.

K

Kennedy10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey people... new to the forum. I have a few questions I'd like answered to the best of your ability...

first off, I've been playing poker since i was a child for fun.. I've played a little on ignition poker, but not for long lol. I played tournaments mainly but could never place high enough to where 2 hours of play time amounted to anything in 5-15 dollar buy-ins before i lose any more money I want to play for free to sharpen my game, It seems that all players that play free are really aggressive compared to real money. It makes sense but I'd like some advice on strategies, good free poker sites that are more competitive, and any advice you could give..

1. What percentage of your total bankroll should you place in a cash game and tournaments. for example say you have 100 dollars you want to "lose"... buy into a cash game for 20 dollars.. 20%.

2. When you are short stacked and are wanting to play aggressive why do professional players most likely 3-4BB on a 86S compared to a A3O..... I'm asking this because its part of my strategy and I'm thinking about changing it. 1. your more likely to hit a straight than a flush. 2. You have high card... I understand the fact that its the unknown of what you have, which is their argument.

3.When you are short stacked when should you start playing aggressive if its your strategy? 20BB give or take 5BB....

Thanks for any advice you can give me

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hey people... new to the forum. I have a few questions I'd like answered to the best of your ability...

first off, I've been playing poker since i was a child for fun.. I've played a little on ignition poker, but not for long lol. I played tournaments mainly but could never place high enough to where 2 hours of play time amounted to anything in 5-15 dollar buy-ins before i lose any more money I want to play for free to sharpen my game, It seems that all players that play free are really aggressive compared to real money. It makes sense but I'd like some advice on strategies, good free poker sites that are more competitive, and any advice you could give..

1. What percentage of your total bankroll should you place in a cash game and tournaments. for example say you have 100 dollars you want to "lose"... buy into a cash game for 20 dollars.. 20%.

2. When you are short stacked and are wanting to play aggressive why do professional players most likely 3-4BB on a 86S compared to a A3O..... I'm asking this because its part of my strategy and I'm thinking about changing it. 1. your more likely to hit a straight than a flush. 2. You have high card... I understand the fact that its the unknown of what you have, which is their argument.

3.When you are short stacked when should you start playing aggressive if its your strategy? 20BB give or take 5BB....

Thanks for any advice you can give me
Hello there ! Welcome to the forum ! Good luck in the games ! :) Look at this information it may be useful to You https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/cardschat-a-new-ebook-training-course-455641/ https://www.cardschat.com/faq.php https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...ord-thread-bronze-level-freerolls-all-401613/

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Welcome to the community! Good questions--as someone else mentioned, definitely check out the CardsChat course in the "poker strategy" tab of the navigation bar at the top of the page. That being said, I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, although I'm no expert.

1. I am unsure about cash games, but the pros I have consulted with have recommended a 1% of bankroll ABI (average buy-in) for MTTs and a 3% of bankroll ABI for SNGs (i.e., if you have a $100 bankroll, limit yourself to $1 buy-ins for MTTs and $3 buy-ins for SNGs). The keyword here is average, meaning you can take a shot at a larger buy-in tournament than you typically play, as long as you compensate with enough smaller buy-ins to keep that average in line.

2. While playing aggressively when short-stacked is recommended, both of those hands are what might be considered speculative in the sense that they both require a good runout to make the best hand.

For the two hands you referenced, while flushes may be less likely, they are much stronger in hand ranking than straights; not to mention, 86s can still make a straight, and it can actually make a straight in two directions (8 high straight and 10 high straight), while the A3o can only make a straight in one direction; furthermore, the potential straights made by hands like 86s are stronger than the straight made by A3o because a 5 high straight is the lowest ranking straight that can be made.

Regardless, my initial comment relates to the fact that when you are playing aggressively with a short stack, it would behoove you to choose your strongest hands (made pairs, suited connectors, suited/connected broadways), rather than speculative hands. Trying to play like a pro likely will not be profitable unless you are playing with other pros and have a similar understanding to ranges and how they change as the hand progresses.

3. It somewhat depends on tournament structure and what the average stack is, but your overall playability post-flop really starts to drop below 20 BB. I'd say 20 BB is about the danger zone. However, you might be in some tournaments, such as (hyper) turbos where the structure results in the average stack being about 20 BB. In this case, you need to make the decision of playing as you normally would and understanding that everybody is in the danger zone and likely worrying about the same things you are OR if you want to take a risk to double up and have a significant advantage over the remaining stacks. My personal preference is to go for it (within reason) once I'm below 20 BB because you really don't have enough blinds to continue sizing up the pot as the hand progresses.

Hope this helps, and good luck!