Help with stealing blinds

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best position and how much BB bet to steal the blinds preflop?

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
steal blinds is a move somewhat risky, should only make tight players, and Small blind against an opponent betting only about 4 or 5 times the big blind.

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash Game:

With tight players in the blinds I am raising the CO and BTN with a very wide range for 2.5x. All other positions I open for 3x, occasionally 4x UTG depending on table, 3bet percentage etc. If the blinds are quite loose/like to see flops I am tightening my range accordingly.

Tournament:

Similar again but it depends on stack sizes, as they get relatively shallow I will switch to 2.5x from EP and MP then 2x from CO and BTN.

It really is blind dependent however. Do you use a HUD?

maximjd

maximjd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i use to steal blinds only if i am on SB o Dealer and all fold before, but it's too risk, if BB make you a ReRaise u don't know if he is bluffing and you can loss so much chips. i think you have to steal with at least something good on your hand ànd with a good read of your opponents. if you raise 5 blinds and BB reraise, you use to fold, and you need 3 steal more aprox to be again where stake been before. it depend of moment of the tournament too, it works more when people its close to paid positions, for ex. 20 paid and left 23...

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best positions are the final , BTN Cut -off and HJ , but in some situations it is also interesting to steal the starting positions as shown more strength

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CUT OFF and BUTTON is best positions to steal blinds,because u have more informations about others,but also you can make a big raise on the UTG or UTG+1 just to show a very strong hand

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In terms of position at table the button is the best, but in terms of blinds and what not I think the bets time to steal blinds are near the buble when there are a lot of short stacks and you can pad your stack while players try to survive and hold on...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the cutoff or button is the best position to steal blinds if you're opening up the pot. I would say try with 3x the BB and if that works, try 2.75, then 2.5. Find the minimum you need to risk in order to steal blinds. This way, if you need to fold to a reraise, you aren't giving up as much of your stack. 4x-5x the BB raise is way too much for a steal.

M

m3th0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stealing blinds shouldnt be a priority in a ring game as much as it is in a tournament. Best way to steal blinds is when the no one else seems interested in playing the hand.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally raise in the cut off 3x big blind, if a loose player (and i expect a call) i limp then raise on the flop if he checks as I will have position :)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is so situational....how many BB to bet ?
Well, just as much needed to make it profitable in the long run.

From what position....yeah, best outof a position with just a few players left to act.
However, on a nitty table...every position.

When to start stealing....well pretty obv with low blinds it's not very profitable because players will play back more because it's not costing them much.
Besides from that, the reward is small if you succeed.

However, waiting till the bubble you're way to late.
As a rule of thumb I'd say it gets really interesting when antes come in play, which doesn't mean you must skip opportunities before.

You have to realise stealing blinds is about more than winning or losing some chips in a single hand.
It's an investment for future hands....you're creating an image which will win you more whenever you have a real good hand.
Besides from that....people might be getting annoyed of having their blinds under attack and at some point may decide to open up their defending range.
Which actually means they start playing hands outof position (unless you steal from the SB) and it will be hands they are not comfortable with.

Well, that's what we want, isn't it ?

Z

zooboss

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i am trying to steal blinds someone very often steal all my stack :sad:

D

diserg1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheating in poker is required for the reception of the game, without which it is impossible to win in the long run. The word deception, of course, have in mind not cheating tricks and different techniques of the bluff, allowing deceive opponents tactically. Actually bluffing, unlike cheating, permitted by the rules of poker, without him the game would have lost the whole point

AIexander K

AIexander K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CO and BTN is best positions to steal blinds :cool: