Help with playing short stack

M

matthue1313

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was hoping to be playing in a tournament tonight and was hoping somebody could give me some pointers on playing a short stack if I happen to drop down sometimes I find it hard to play a short stack and I could use some pointers and some tips on how to play a little bit longer

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being the short stack in a table can be pretty nerve wrecking, since any player in the table can potentially knock you out of the tournament.

There ia no real strategy being the short stack, rather than hoping to get aces or a high pair and move all in.

Also, if you take too long, the blinds and antes might make it improbable to make a comeback, even if you happen to double up.

bluffing is not recommended either, as stated above, unless you have a reasonable amount of chips in comparison with the rest of the table, other players may call you with a mediocre hand, just because they can afford losing to you... So your best bet is to simply wait for a decent hand and cross your fingers.:D

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn the 10 big blinds push or fold hands chart by heart. It will help tremendously your short stack game.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use this App

https://floattheturn.com/wp_php/ftt_shove.php

or something similar. Get used to its controls, and be sure you are familiar with it. It really helps when you are 20BB or less. It won't guarantee wins, as you can still bust out, but at least you make decisions that have a chance at success.

Also, never go all-in on junk just because you are short. I know of several players who made a comeback after being down to 1 BB, just by playing good hands. I've done it myself once or twice, even at less than 1BB. Always wait for good hands then shove. By the way, the shove chart is best used if everyone folds to your position. Don't assume that because it is on the chart that you should call other villain's all ins with it. I made that mistake early on!

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only advice I can give is if you're not getting good cards and widdle your way down to 1 or 2 BB's then don't look for a "good" hand look for the "best" hand you think you could get with the few remaining hands left. For instance, if you're 3 from the BB and catch J9o then ask yourself if you honestly believe in the next 4 hands you'll catch better than J9o. If you think so, then by all means fold, but if you've been card dead anyway then it may be best to take a shot.

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
download snap shove on your phone, figure out your shoving range... and min raise the bottom and top of your shoving range, and shove everything else in the middle :)

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push and pray from position. Good luck.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its mainly about timing and position at that point to increase odds of winning when you shove.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm playing the short stack the 1st thing I try to consider is my position. The number of people to act after me is on my mind more so when I'm short stacked for if I'm taking a chance with a marginal hand and want to get in for just the BB I don't want 6 people to act after me. I try to catch a hand before I shove because anyone at the table has the ability to knock you out. That being said a little poker prayer can't hurt lol!!!:D:D

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I was hoping to be playing in a tournament tonight and was hoping somebody could give me some pointers on playing a short stack if I happen to drop down sometimes I find it hard to play a short stack and I could use some pointers and some tips on how to play a little bit longer
The bottom line, short stack strategy is to play with premium hands and big pairs TT and better.:deal:
Best of Luck

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Short stack attacks
I get them in tournaments when the big blind is most of my stack
I just shove and hope for the best

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play all in with any good cards

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It all depends on your style of play. I am convinced that it is best to be disciplined and patient. Try always to wait for a strong cards and use your position at the table.
Good luck.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With more then 30BB : I don't change my game too much at this point.. I just try to grind to grow my stack and get out of that situation..

With less then 20BB : I tight my game as h* and play basic poker bring back my stack over 30BB asap.

-TRP-

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its also good to know which villans will call your shove correctly. Some villans will call correctly, some will spite call, and some would not call a 1 blind shove if you hit them with a math book and an icm calculator.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can provide a few pointers here. First off, know that it's common to get a short stack in tournaments. The rising blinds/antes means that if you aren't constantly doubling/tripling your stack, then there is a good chance you will become short stacked. I just played a single night tournament where most of the stacks at my table were short when I finally got eliminated.

1) Always know your stack size. In my first few tournaments, I made some big errors when I didn't realize how short stacked I was. A common mistake was making a standard raise or 3-bet pre-flop when that would make me pot committed.

2) Know who are the aggressive blind stealers. When your stack gets into the 15BB to 20BB range, look to re-steal against late position raises. I used this tactic quite a few times and it worked beautifully. I got folds the first 2 times and I doubled up when he called me the third time.

3) Do not let your stack get too low. Once you get under 15BB, you should be looking for hands to push. Once you get to 10BB or less, you really need to be looking to push any half-way decent hand: pairs, any ace, any 2 broadway cards.

4) EP can actually be a better place to push since LP gives a lot of people in front of you a chance to raise, which a lot of times gives them correct odds to call your all-in. You can avoid this by pushing in EP.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With less then 15 BBs you have to wait this situations and allin:
- Premium hand;
- Good hand and you are in late position (SB too) and no one call/raise before you;
- Good hand and someone in late position call/raise, probably he want steal blinds in this case you all in only if you have any read about the villain.