Help Managing Bankroll

Thefish87

Thefish87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to manage my roll better I just x4 my roll to 7 to 32 bucks from spin gos what should I do next just figure I some advice from some regs who have mastered they're roll :confused:

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your confident in your game you could give 2nl cash games a shot with $32 it's 16 buy ins.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your confident in your game you could give 2nl cash games a shot with $32 it's 16 buy ins.

That's not a good BR management. 50+ buy-ins is a good one.
And moving to cash tables after playing most likely 25 cent SnG's isn't a smart decision at all.

Well it actually depends on the player and his plans for the future. If you want to start some sort of poker career, than it's good to follow a simple rule: Have 50+ buy-ins for each single table you're playing. Want to play 4 tables of NL2 limit? Than it's good to have $400 bankroll for $8 invested in 4 tables. And you can move on to the next limit when you'll have 50 buy-ins of that limit. If you're playing just 1 table - it'll be faster, ofc. if you're good.

Yes, it's good to follow BR management and so on, but there is one important thing that poker articles and books are not telling you. 100 year life is 24*365*100 = 876.000 hours.. Will you live to 100 years? 30% is sleep time... some time has passed already and so on... SO how many effective hours do you have left? You can easily calculate how much time have you spent alrady and will spend in the future by going up in poker limits with so called "good BR management" Is it worth it? Most of the players can earn much more per month for their time by getting a decent job and doing something useful for the society and for themself.

What is your product that you create for the society and for yourself during poker sessions>? Are you doing something good for yourself and others around you? Or you're damaging yourself and washing your life into the toilet seat of 52 cards?

Oh, and answering your question - 25c SnGs with 45-90 participants is a good choice for $32 bankroll. Investing 1 dollar into four 25c tables is not a bad decision. 45 player games are starting every 3-10 minutes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, and answering your question - 25c SnGs with 45-90 participants is a good choice for $32 bankroll. Investing 1 dollar into four 25c tables is not a bad decision. 45 player games are starting every 3-10 minutes.

If OP is playing on pokerstars, that would also be my recommendation. 32$ is not quite enough to play 2NL cash games without significant risk of going broke, and since he started with SnGs, why not continue that route at least for now.

As for cash game bankroll management, multitabling does not increase your risk, it only increase the pace at which, a downswing can occur. So its not like, you need a 4 times larger bankroll, because you play 4 tables at once.

There are different strategies and opinions, but for games like 2NL and 5NL online you really dont need all that much of a bankroll. Somewhere between 20-50 times the buyin is enough depending on your comfort level.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If OP is playing on PokerStars, that would also be my recommendation. 32$ is not quite enough to play 2NL cash games without significant risk of going broke, and since he started with SnGs, why not continue that route at least for now.

As for cash game bankroll management, multitabling does not increase your risk, it only increase the pace at which, a downswing can occur. So its not like, you need a 4 times larger bankroll, because you play 4 tables at once.

There are different strategies and opinions, but for games like 2NL and 5NL online you really dont need all that much of a bankroll. Somewhere between 20-50 times the buyin is enough depending on your comfort level.

Well, I was and still is a member of pokerstrategy.com, and won my first $800 in my first month of online poker after receiveing free $50... They're not offering this anymore for long time, and not offering any free software.
But their advise was to have 30+ buy-ins for each table for the limit you're playing and move on to the next limit with like 100 buy-ins of previous limit or 30+ buy-ins of new limit. Indeed it wasn't advised "for each table"
But, I've played my personal bankroll management strategy and it was tighter, I was using 30 buy-ins per table and later adjusted to 50 buy-ins. Spent many profitable years playing like that. Constant "salary" each month...

Why?

One day during my first year I had to move down from NL20 to NL5, stepping 2 steps down in just one day. Serious upswings can be followed by serious downswings. Several times in a row you're beating AA with hands like AQ, and 2 days later it's vice-versa. So if you're planning to stay at the limit and willing to climb up the ladder, then you have to have serious backup to stay on your feet during serious downswings...

Let's say you're -$400 at NL20 and your bankroll was $1K, then you have 30 buy-ins left and you have to decide if you're going to continue playing at this limit or will have to move down. This same -$400 situation is different at NL20 if your bankroll is $6K. ALl you have to do at this point is to check your tilt level, and if you're doing everything correctly, then situation will change soon, and you'll stay at this limit being well prepared for the coming upswing.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to risk small amounts of your cash at a time, usually %10. I think no more than one dollar each tournament or cash game would be okay.

Good luck!

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If OP is playing on PokerStars, that would also be my recommendation. 32$ is not quite enough to play 2NL cash games without significant risk of going broke, and since he started with SnGs, why not continue that route at least for now.

By the way... I'm not following nay bankroll management at all during past 3 years. Got just one simple rule: No deposits, just cashing out. And it works. Getting small, but stable prfot each year, 2-4K per year from all sites. Thanks to Cardschat for giving an opportunity to win couple of dollars for the ticket to play some MTT.

and yeah...

I'm not playing like a reg during these 3 years, only during evenings while I'm drawing or programming things. Simply can't do just one thing and too addicted to multitasking... and poker is like 5-7 seconds during each minute working at the PC.

With such "BR management" I recently won 70Euro in MTT using free 1Eur ticket at iPoker network, and next day I've used these 70Euro to play HU SnGs and Cash at NL100 and ended up withdrawing approx 450Euro. Well that's the best result for like 10 hours of poker this year, but also recently has lost $70, 80, 50 at the PS and in total 120Eur at iPoker that I've won using free tickets or freeroll money. Lost or won by moving from the final tables of micro MTTs directly to medium-high cash tables or HU SnGs

You see, time is most important factor... Life is not a neverending process. If you have that unused time to spent for playing poker on daily basis, then the better your bankroll management is - the better for your wallet and poker career. Safe way is the long way, and long way always beats the short way, and like Confucius said, "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" This first step is writing your route, your code of conduct. What is more logical, and what is not - it will be your personal decision and you'll be the one to blame for your faults and wins.

P.S. Back in the year 2009-12, son of my brothers friend, a 13 y.o. boy was playing at PS using account registered with details of his grandma. At start he was playing only 990 player SnGs, 2 cent buy-in... Not every day, mostly in the evenings... When he turned 16, he asked my older brother to help him to withdraw the money, because he decided to buy alienware laptop and a smartphone. In 3 years he turned 5 dollars to $4K, and he played 2 cents SnGs until he got $300... Check the prize structure there, AS far as I remember it's like $4 for the first place there :))))) Boy has never played more than 25cent tourneys and managed to get to 4K bankroll by playing in the evenings after his lessons and half of the summer. Crazy isn't it? No tilt + large amount of free time + "I was waiting for good cards" LOL. Nobody ever explained to him what bankroll management is, and others things about poker.

mad_bad

mad_bad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is true patience, experience and skills, but most Inportant is love for this game, I think lilte boy respect own bankroll like a big deal, by playing poker 3 years that's a,, I LOVE THIS GAME'' good post tnx

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing professionally or semi-professionally there are clear advantages in playing over-rolled. But if you are just starting out and trying to build a small bankroll, its a bit different. I have heard about people, who have played like 300.000 hands at 2NL and are still afraid to move up, because they fell, they should have 500$ to even try.

And that is just a waste of time honestly. I deposited 100$, played 20.000 or so hands at 2NL and then moved up with maybe 25 or 30 buyins for 5NL, which worked just fine. As long as you are ready to move down again, if things go wrong, its not a problem to use a somewhat aggressive bankroll management strategy in the beginning, and you dont want to remain stuck at 2NL forever.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to risk small amounts of your cash at a time, usually %10. I think no more than one dollar each tournament or cash game would be okay.

Good luck!

This is EXACTLY what i have always read. Never play anything with more then 10% of your roll cause of the downswings.
You didnt get that money by playing cash games so dont waste it there. Play what you been playing and build your roll til your ready to move up in buyins// Good luck in what ever choice you make

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have got one serious problem about my bankroll, but not only that but about games online generally. After a time, I am "tilted" and I start making poor decisions, time after time. Then, is not only bankroll or money. Sometimes we need give a break.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would go with x100, not x4 before moving on. Why ruin a good thing.

J

japg11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend that you focus on a modality that you like and spend half the time studying, that is, if you play 2 hours a day, you will have to study 2 hours. With that bank I would play maximum spins of $ 1, and it would go down to $ 0.25 with $ 10. And don't play more than 2 simultaneous tables, focus on studying!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to Build a Bankroll -

How to Run it Up -

Bankroll Building Essentials -

I've also got an e-book with some mindset commandments to help get you thinking about building your bankroll the right way. It's called the bankroll building bible and you can get it here for free --> http://gripsed.com/stackin

Let's Get Stackin!

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multitable sng 45 man are a good way to build a bankroll slowly ive watched some players building a bankroll from it

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way... I'm not following nay bankroll management at all during past 3 years. Got just one simple rule: No deposits, just cashing out. And it works. Getting small, but stable prfot each year, 2-4K per year from all sites. Thanks to Cardschat for giving an opportunity to win couple of dollars for the ticket to play some MTT.

and yeah...

I'm not playing like a reg during these 3 years, only during evenings while I'm drawing or programming things. Simply can't do just one thing and too addicted to multitasking... and poker is like 5-7 seconds during each minute working at the PC.

With such "BR management" I recently won 70Euro in MTT using free 1Eur ticket at iPoker network, and next day I've used these 70Euro to play HU SnGs and Cash at NL100 and ended up withdrawing approx 450Euro. Well that's the best result for like 10 hours of poker this year, but also recently has lost $70, 80, 50 at the PS and in total 120Eur at iPoker that I've won using free tickets or freeroll money. Lost or won by moving from the final tables of micro MTTs directly to medium-high cash tables or HU SnGs

You see, time is most important factor... Life is not a neverending process. If you have that unused time to spent for playing poker on daily basis, then the better your bankroll management is - the better for your wallet and poker career. Safe way is the long way, and long way always beats the short way, and like Confucius said, "The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" This first step is writing your route, your code of conduct. What is more logical, and what is not - it will be your personal decision and you'll be the one to blame for your faults and wins.

P.S. Back in the year 2009-12, son of my brothers friend, a 13 y.o. boy was playing at PS using account registered with details of his grandma. At start he was playing only 990 player SnGs, 2 cent buy-in... Not every day, mostly in the evenings... When he turned 16, he asked my older brother to help him to withdraw the money, because he decided to buy alienware laptop and a smartphone. In 3 years he turned 5 dollars to $4K, and he played 2 cents SnGs until he got $300... Check the prize structure there, AS far as I remember it's like $4 for the first place there :))))) Boy has never played more than 25cent tourneys and managed to get to 4K bankroll by playing in the evenings after his lessons and half of the summer. Crazy isn't it? No tilt + large amount of free time + "I was waiting for good cards" LOL. Nobody ever explained to him what bankroll management is, and others things about poker.

13 years old? 5 dollars? 2cents buy-in? alienware laptop and smartphone???? 3 years?? 4k?????

Come on.... and I`m Batman

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No more than 5% in any one game.

NOORI

NOORI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a general rule, I just never buy-in more than 1% of my bankroll. Mathematically I will never be broke even on a very bad beat :eek:

Cerealez

Cerealez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Start on cash games in the lowest limits, it doesn t matter if u can afford a higher limit, you need to feel comfortable even if u lose or u will start making risky moves to recover your losses. Then with a correct bankroll management (ppl say 50BB) you can start climbing. Another thing to point is that if u go to a superior limit u will feel the change, maybe what u have earned in an hour in the lower limit you can make it in 5 minutes, of course it also goes in the opposite direction, when u lose:D.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I recommend you is that you should have at least 100 buy ins for cash games (NL2 is an exception for you) and 200 buy ins for mtts! You need to watch videos from good players and watch lessons online and you stick with these rules and you will progress slowly but safe and you will never lose all your bankroll

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back some good horses ;):icon_thum

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening;
Which type of poker is best for controlling the
bankroll?

Thefish87

Thefish87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not a good BR management. 50+ buy-ins is a good one.
And moving to cash tables after playing most likely 25 cent SnG's isn't a smart decision at all.

Well it actually depends on the player and his plans for the future. If you want to start some sort of poker career, than it's good to follow a simple rule: Have 50+ buy-ins for each single table you're playing. Want to play 4 tables of NL2 limit? Than it's good to have $400 bankroll for $8 invested in 4 tables. And you can move on to the next limit when you'll have 50 buy-ins of that limit. If you're playing just 1 table - it'll be faster, ofc. if you're good.

Yes, it's good to follow BR management and so on, but there is one important thing that poker articles and books are not telling you. 100 year life is 24*365*100 = 876.000 hours.. Will you live to 100 years? 30% is sleep time... some time has passed already and so on... SO how many effective hours do you have left? You can easily calculate how much time have you spent alrady and will spend in the future by going up in poker limits with so called "good BR management" Is it worth it? Most of the players can earn much more per month for their time by getting a decent job and doing something useful for the society and for themself.

What is your product that you create for the society and for yourself during poker sessions>? Are you doing something good for yourself and others around you? Or you're damaging yourself and washing your life into the toilet seat of 52 cards?

Thank you very much I've be gone for awhile losing n losing since this post wished I've read this up and down me reading actually gave me a different insight in how I want to approach this game because reality your are right how much time we have to really invest but I thank you for this insight on br I will most likely take into consideration

Thefish87

Thefish87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have got one serious problem about my bankroll, but not only that but about games online generally. After a time, I am "tilted" and I start making poor decisions, time after time. Then, is not only bankroll or money. Sometimes we need give a break.

I second that I'm on my break right now just watch videos and read up on poker it's going to be a long break as I'm in midst building a small to deposit and practicing these useful tactics my next 1 is just overcoming tilt but in ways where I'm losing kk in every way in spots where my money is best or where I need to shove but still get calls but I think just breaking and pretty much good!:sleep:

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frankly, I am quite surprised you were able to improve that much by playing SPIN n Gos. But I believe there is a high possibility of having a downswing, because in Spin n gos much more depends on luck than other formats.
Like mentioned before, a 50 buy-in bankroll is a must, I would suggest even more, because Spin n gos are more unstable from BRM perspective than classical tournaments or Sit n gos. So in perfect case you would have 70 buy-ins before considering stakes raise.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management