Hello all. I’m seeking advice on what area I should study first

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I will try my best to inform you of my level.
I’ve played poker for about a year altogether.
If I were to guess my rating I’d say advanced fish.
I’ve never studied anything but have won a couple of welcome freerolls.
What area should I look to improve first?

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker compounds, think of it this way raise 2bb before the flop and then each consecutive bet is a half pot bet (this is just an example not a fact) so pre flop you raise 2bb and the small blind calls everyone else folds now there are 5bb in the pot your 2bb the small blinds 2bb and the 1bb folded by the big blind... so you raise half pot on flop 2.5bb and get called now there is 10bb in the pot and you do the same on the turn bet 5bb into 10bb and get called and on the river you bet 10bb into the 20bb... if you happen lose this hand by making a mistake depending on where you made the mistake each bet after the mistake got bigger and bigger meaning the earlier you made the mistake the more you've lost!
So take it one street at a time start with pre flop! Cut down pre flop mistakes and you've cut down the mistakes you make on the flop etc with hands that shouldn't be there... start with your ranges if you're happy with that then look into spots like with x stack size in early position, late position etc.... study button play and big blind play with stack sizes and actions of everyone else in the pot!
That's where I'd start anyway!

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker compounds, think of it this way raise 2bb before the flop and then each consecutive bet is a half pot bet (this is just an example not a fact) so pre flop you raise 2bb and the small blind calls everyone else folds now there are 5bb in the pot your 2bb the small blinds 2bb and the 1bb folded by the big blind... so you raise half pot on flop 2.5bb and get called now there is 10bb in the pot and you do the same on the turn bet 5bb into 10bb and get called and on the river you bet 10bb into the 20bb... if you happen lose this hand by making a mistake depending on where you made the mistake each bet after the mistake got bigger and bigger meaning the earlier you made the mistake the more you've lost!
So take it one street at a time start with pre flop! Cut down pre flop mistakes and you've cut down the mistakes you make on the flop etc with hands that shouldn't be there... start with your ranges if you're happy with that then look into spots like with x stack size in early position, late position etc.... study button play and big blind play with stack sizes and actions of everyone else in the pot!
That's where I'd start anyway!

Thank you Neart.
Have you viewed the tutorial on here, ‘Become A Winning online poker Player In 30 Day’s’ ?
If you have is there a section in it that explains pre flop play?

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I always think about what's most common that will improve your game the quickest and most easiest
I went with this order when I first

I started with
1.opening this is the most common you want a fundamentally sound preflop game
2. calling a preflop raise
3. 3betting by posistion and sb play (some players in cash games have a 3b or fold strategy from this player you can look this up)
4. flop c-betting (c-betting big for value ) but also later knowing what kind of boards are good for your range later on for c-betting to take down the pot
5. calling flop c-betting some players might be a bit to fit or fold with this so its a good idea to call some c-bets with plans on taking down pots on the turn more often when you face button opens and you call from bb
6. x-raising some flops as bluffs with good backdoor equity and overcards
7. barreling turn as a semi bluff when you turn equity or as a bluff

and it goes on ofcourse I can't go all day about what you should learn but notice how it all started with preflop then it went to flop and turn I would go on and learn some complex river situations just yet because in 60k hands on pokertracker there's only 63 hands ive bet flop turn and river so that would be even less for x-raise or AI on the river

im assuming your completely new so some of these might not apply to you

hope this helps:)

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bankroll management and the fundamentals. Then learn the rest at your own pace.
Or just keep playing freerolls like a boss and don't give a f about boring theories and be in the 97% of players.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always think about what's most common that will improve your game the quickest and most easiest
I went with this order when I first

I started with
1.opening this is the most common you want a fundamentally sound preflop game
2. calling a preflop raise
3. 3betting by posistion and sb play (some players in cash games have a 3b or fold strategy from this player you can look this up)
4. flop c-betting (c-betting big for value ) but also later knowing what kind of boards are good for your range later on for c-betting to take down the pot
5. calling flop c-betting some players might be a bit to fit or fold with this so its a good idea to call some c-bets with plans on taking down pots on the turn more often when you face button opens and you call from bb
6. x-raising some flops as bluffs with good backdoor equity and overcards
7. barreling turn as a semi bluff when you turn equity or as a bluff

and it goes on ofcourse I can't go all day about what you should learn but notice how it all started with preflop then it went to flop and turn I would go on and learn some complex river situations just yet because in 60k hands on pokertracker there's only 63 hands ive bet flop turn and river so that would be even less for x-raise or AI on the river

im assuming your completely new so some of these might not apply to you

hope this helps:)

Yes most of that is way above my level but I’ll be starting at ur first point on pre flop game and try to get a sound understanding of that.
Thank you

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management and the fundamentals. Then learn the rest at your own pace.
Or just keep playing freerolls like a boss and don't give a f about boring theories and be in the 97% of players.

Yes I’ve poor bank management. I chip away at SnGs and then blow it all in tournaments because of greed 🙂
At the moment I am definitely in the 97%
Thank you

S

SouthernCroix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you Neart.
Have you viewed the tutorial on here, ‘Become A Winning Online Poker Player In 30 Day’s’ ?
If you have is there a section in it that explains pre flop play?
Read it it's worth it. I read two chapters position and pre flop and it got me to third out 755 on a micro TT.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read it it's worth it. I read two chapters position and pre flop and it got me to third out 755 on a micro TT.
Thank you.
I’ve just watched 5 or 6 episodes that have brought me to pre flop play.
Fingers crossed I’m off to play

S

SouthernCroix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you.
I’ve just watched 5 or 6 episodes that have brought me to pre flop play.
Fingers crossed I’m off to play

Good luck, just know that the lessons are great on YT but there's more indepth explainations on the pdf

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Value/bluff bets
Ranges and combos
Equity (odds : pot odds)
Implied odds
Fold equity
Exploitative/GTO concepts

I think we can play reazonably with that.

Aleksmy

Aleksmy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each player has their own experience and style of play. It can always be different, depending on the players you play with. If you always play the same way, you will be quickly beaten.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The areas I study first (and what order I study them in) depend on the direction I am approaching from but it usually will be one of these...

Eyes, face, T then A.

Or...

A, T, face then eyes.

Make sense? :laugh:

Right, now that I've got that little bit of somewhat un-pc jesting out of the way (my apologies ladies), onto my "real" answer..

Now, Allyte..!

Why on earth are you asking us, what you need to study, and in what order, for you only to reply "yeah, that's all above my level" after we've typed out some great suggestions for you?! :biggrin:

You should (and will) instinctively know what areas you need to study first...

What aspects of your poker game do you feel least comfortable with?

Study those.

What parts of poker strategy do you know least about?

Study those.

What types of poker do you want to play most often? (cash? tournament? HU? live? online?)

Study strategy specific to those.

What area of your game do you feel most confident with?

Study that, to make sure your confidence is well-founded and accurate.

Where's a good place to start studying, generally speaking?

The begining! :wink: :laugh:

Look for content titles such as 'the fundamentals', 'beginners course', 'crash course' and '101'. If what you read is new to you, keep reading. If it's stuff that you already know, skip ahead a little!

Once you've gone through that process, you'll be about ready to rinse, repeat and start it over again! :biggrin:

What you study, when and for how long can have a big impact but as long as you're studying something helpful, anything, it's good!

Do let me know if you'd like me to expand on or be more specific about any of this.

No-one knows your poker game and where you're at in poker, better than you! :p :eek:

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The areas I study first (and what order I study them in) depend on the direction I am approaching from but it usually will be one of these...

Eyes, face, T then A.

Or...

A, T, face then eyes.

Right, now that I've got that little bit of somewhat un-pc jesting out of the way (my apologies ladies), onto my "real" answer..

Now, Allyte..!

Why on earth are you asking us, what you need to study, and in what order, for you only to reply "yeah, that's all above my level" after we've typed out some great suggestions for you?! :biggrin:

Study those.

Study those.

What types of poker do you want to play most often? (cash? tournament? HU? live? online?)

Look for content titles such as 'the fundamentals', 'beginners course', 'crash course' and '101'. If what you read is new to you, keep reading. If it's stuff that you already know, skip ahead a little!

Once you've gone through that process, you'll be about ready to rinse, repeat and start it over again! :biggrin:

What you study, when and for how long can have a big impact but as long as you're studying something helpful, anything, it's good!

Do let me know if you'd like me to expand on or be more specific about any of this.

No-one knows your poker game and where you're at in poker, better than you! :p :eek:
Hello and thanks for the reply.
It took me a minute to get that joke but I got there in the end.
I did try explain my level at the start. I had never looked at any poker theory and wanted to dip my toes in to see the benefits, but did not know where.
I got adviced to look at preflop and that has been great. I was amazed that I was a tight player and I was only getting more tight.
Looking at pre flop odds have opened my eyes to loads more playing. For example I would have never played a K 8 s. I wanted the chance of a straight and a flush.
Anyway I m working on that and thinking of players ranges more than just noticing if they play loose or tight. Odds and implied I’ve only just touched off and found out what a c-bet is.
If you have any advice in what I’ve wrote above it would be appreciated!

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Eyes, face, T then A.

Or...

A, T, face then eyes.

Now, Allyte..!

Study those.

Study those.

Also I play MTTs mostly and a small bit of SnG

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
often at the beginning of acquaintance with poker it seems that this is a lottery and a lot depends on luck or on some factors not related to the game itself, just play on the bankroll and you will understand that this is a simple and very difficult game, you will know all the charms of variance and downstream, without it this game is not

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
often at the beginning of acquaintance with poker it seems that this is a lottery and a lot depends on luck or on some factors not related to the game itself, just play on the bankroll and you will understand that this is a simple and very difficult game, you will know all the charms of variance and downstream, without it this game is not
Ah jeez “variances”
I’ve a degree in accounting and can see how they apply but my god I am sick of them.
Don’t even have the degree a year so the word still makes me 🤢

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Bankroll management and preflop ranges. You won't find good preflop ranges for free, especially SB, BB and 3bet-4bet ranges, but ask around and you someone might give you them for 20-30 bucks. Preflop ranges are absolutely the most important part of poker.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management and preflop ranges. You won't find good preflop ranges for free, especially SB, BB and 3bet-4bet ranges, but ask around and you someone might give you them for 20-30 bucks. Preflop ranges are absolutely the most important part of poker.
Wow you’ve blown my mind thinking that I could buy something like that. I will look it up for some free ones, just to get an idea of what you are talking about.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If I have to pick only one topic of studying that would be the raise first in (RFI) ranges , and how to adapt based on the line up of players.

Without a solid pre flop game don't waste your energy and time in something else!

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have to pick only one topic of studying that would be the raise first in (RFI) ranges , and how to adapt based on the line up of players.

Without a solid pre flop game don't waste your energy and time in something else!
Yes thank you for the advice.
This is what I’m going to try.
Walk before I can run.

ItsThePits

ItsThePits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I found the "Poker Strategy" tab at the top of the page to be very helpful.
It may seem long at first to go thru, but if your serious about learning and improving, you can take them 1 at a time everyday.
One way to do it is before spending hours playing on your favorite website, take the time to view 1 course and then start playing your daily fix of games.
After a week or so of doing this you will see that you are all done.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guide on here is good but watching the videos is essential as the bulk of the content is there rather than in the PDF.

Not sure why so many seem to think bankroll management though, it's not really a skill to be learnt but rather a matter of discipline and understanding a few simple things. It's also wont help you a lot if you aren't good at poker.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guide on here is good but watching the videos is essential as the bulk of the content is there rather than in the PDF.

Not sure why so many seem to think bankroll management though, it's not really a skill to be learnt but rather a matter of discipline and understanding a few simple things. It's also wont help you a lot if you aren't good at poker.
Thank you and are you referring to the become winning online player in 30 days ?