Harrington on holdem

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Iv just bought the Harrington on holdem set and I just wanted to double check that the information in the books is still relevant to the modern game and if anyone else has read it was it a good read And did it help improve your game

A

Avvavva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Iv just bought the Harrington on holdem set and I just wanted to double check that the information in the books is still relevant to the modern game and if anyone else has read it was it a good read And did it help improve your game
It is definitely worth reading, sort of poker ABC book. He explains a lot of game principles very well.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great thanks I can’t wait for it to arrive first book I will of read in a long time lol

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great books that will teach you a lot of principles that are timeless. But it is a good idea to keep on mind that Harrington wrote the book when tournament poker was mostly for professional gamblers and not as popular as it became when online poker became available. So today’s poker scene is probably a bit more aggressive at the tables. But when you master the skills Harrington teaches you can adjust accordingly.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bit dated

The Harrington books were amazing for their time, but poker literature has definitely improved since those were written. But yeah, it's a good beginner book. I'd rather you read "The Grinder's Manual" as an intro to hold'em. That's a bit more advanced and touches on lots of topics. It'll make you profitable under 50NL.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say you can still learn a great deal out of these books. Definitely for the basics. However it was written a long time ago, and over the years play has changed. In general it has become more aggressive. But in more concrete examples, for example Harrington does not really cover the concept of floating (if I recall correctly, however he definitely assumes it's way less common than it is now). Either way, it is a good place to start of from, but you will need to adjust your play after to deal with a more aggressive environment.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you tell your opinion here after you read it? Need an opinion before getting it

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules