Hard time folding

N

Nymets5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a problem where they make a good hand, but then get 3 bet or something, know that they are beat, and still call just to see. I have a bad habit of doing this, especially online, where I play at lower stakes than I do live. An example of this came when I was playing O8. I had pocket kings, and the only hand that would beat me was QJ, since there was a straight on the board. A king comes on the turn, I bet, this normally passive/fold guy bets the pot, I knew he had QJ, but called anyway. Of course he had it. Anyone else have this problem?

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have the same problem, I think we should go to study calling to 3bets.
This is going to improve our game, I will begin right now, thanks for posting that, You motived my to go study that situation!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have such moments when I think and I know that a player has such a card and I open his cards evenly, I need to fold cards at some points so as not to lose chips and try to win at other hands!

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a pair of kings

In this case, everything depends not on the stack but on the level of the opponent’s game. On-line it is extremely difficult to detect, especially when you constantly change the table. I would also play in the 90% range against the average hand and probably $ 60 against the strong. importantly, every time we play a big bank, we’re afraid of some kind of hand that hits us and we’ll often fold the dominant hand. If there was no danger of a flush and he caught only a straight on the river, then you called correctly:cool::cool::cool::cool:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have certainly talked myself into calling many more hands than I should have, but I have seen Negreanu do the same thing on High Stakes poker multiple times so I guess it can happen to anyone.

I guess the best way to look at it is "What could I beat that my opponent would play this way?" When I do that I am more able to lay down my hand.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Folding is a skill just as important as any other aspect of poker. One of the harder to master especially at low stakes or in free rolls, but failing to do so will cost you long term or as one moves up in stakes.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone have a problem where they make a good hand, but then get 3 bet or something, know that they are beat, and still call just to see. I have a bad habit of doing this, especially online, where I play at lower stakes than I do live. An example of this came when I was playing O8. I had pocket kings, and the only hand that would beat me was QJ, since there was a straight on the board. A king comes on the turn, I bet, this normally passive/fold guy bets the pot, I knew he had QJ, but called anyway. Of course he had it. Anyone else have this problem?

Stop calling big raises! You knew he had you beat and you still called??

It's one thing to not be sure. It's another to not see how you are beat. But calling when you knew that he beat you?????? Stop and Re-evaluate the hand and the type of player you are up against.

Good luck !

N

Nymets5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop calling big raises! You knew he had you beat and you still called??

It's one thing to not be sure. It's another to not see how you are beat. But calling when you knew that he beat you?????? Stop and Re-evaluate the hand and the type of player you are up against.

Good luck !
So hard to lay down a set, especially kings, but you aren't wrong. In micro stakes, people are only 3 betting with the absolute nuts

Folding in Poker