Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2.20$ MTT
110 players remaining
Pos 57
Hero 28bbs on HJ with 99 opens 2.3x
Villain 21bbs in CO shoves

This is a bounty tournament but villain bounty is small (2x starting bounty). Also villain is unknown cause I just got moved to table. He did play a couple of hands but nothing got to showdown.

Is this a call or not?

I did tank it thinking and I put him in 66+ or AK AQ AJ

In the end I called hoping for a flip but he had pocket 10s

My question is: is that a call? Even for a flip...

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No it's not the call.I mean you already have enough chips to wait for another opportunity also you don't know the opponent.It seems to me that giving the consideration that this is bounty and that his bounty is low he is a type of a player who wouldn't risk his chips just to earn bounty so you should definitely wait for it.If he raised like 5x more then ok you maybe call but shove giving the information you wrote.No.

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are absolutely deep enough to where you don’t have to call off with pocket 9s in that position. Especially not knowing the villains tendencies, but even if you did, calling off majority of your stack against a potential range that could hit MANY different flops to beat you is just not a reasonable call. I get there are bounty implications in some spots, and I don’t play enough bounty tournaments to give solid reasoning, but I am willing to assume that a 2x starting bounty at this point in the tourney is not a huge bounty at this point. I would fold in this situation and not potentially put yourself in shove or fold mode if you lose.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2.20$ MTT
110 players remaining
Pos 57
Hero 28bbs on HJ with 99 opens 2.3x
Villain 21bbs in CO shoves

This is a bounty tournament but villain bounty is small (2x starting bounty). Also villain is unknown cause I just got moved to table. He did play a couple of hands but nothing got to showdown.

Is this a call or not?

I did tank it thinking and I put him in 66+ or AK AQ AJ

In the end I called hoping for a flip but he had pocket 10s

My question is: is that a call? Even for a flip...
assuming it's 9 handed and there are 10% antes, blinds + antes = 2.4 bbs.

after the action, hero needs to call a 18.7 bbs to win a pot 44.4 bbs (hero's 18.7 bb call + 25.7 bb pot after villain jams).

hero needs 42% equity for this to be a profitable call.

now we have to look at hero's hand vs villains range. for fun, we'll use the range hero gave in their post, though i think their 3bet jam range could be a little wider in the micros.

against a range of 66+, aj, aq, ak, hero has 44.4% equity, making this a profitable call.

it's also important to recognize that is a bounty mtt and just because their bounty is small (2x), you have to look at the value you're getting when you do call and win. it's already a profitable call in this spot, but if you call and win, you now have a 44 bb stack. and now you likely cover other players at the table with bigger bounties. so just because you're 'only' winning 2x bounties from this villain, you set yourself up to potentially win more bounties with a larger stack.

in this situation, i'm happy to call this off.

A

Andrei Afrasinei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answers guys!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands