Chips
AQ or AK post flop when missed

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed JJ is one of the most complicated hands to play because overcards hit so often. AK is easy play for me. I will continuation bet, but if the flop is blank and I meet strong resistance I would fold. While JJ on K74 flop is a nightmare to Play..

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably any hand where you are not sure where you are at. JJ is notoriously tricky because the "high pocket pair" has really good equity, but it loses to pretty much all "premium hands" that would easily continue against you. Same goes for AK or AQ when they miss the flop. It is difficult to assess if your hand is still the best or if you are behind already. This is the same reason why playing Ace-rag (like A2 or A6) or Paint-rag hands (like K4 or Q5) can be tricky or not advised. Let us take the example of K4 offsuit. We continue with this hand and we just got lucky by hitting top pair! Say the flop is something like K, J, 3 rainbow board. Okay great: but now what? If we bet and the opponent plays back, then they may have us crushed and if we slowplay by checking a lot, then we may lose a lot of value if we were far ahead in the hand. Let us say that in this situation, we bet the flop and the opponent re-raises us. This is a tough spot to be in. What if they have top pair as well? Then they probably have a better kicker than our low number (4 here). Something like AK vs our K4 is really bad for us.

Complicated hands are probably the ones tough to figure out if we are ahead or behind. How can we make profitable decisions, consistently, when we don't even know where we are at in the hand?

Not every hand plays this way. If we have pocket Aces, then we can safely say we are ahead preflop (of course with 85% equity or so versus a random hand, the 15% "bad beats" are still expected even if we are ahead now). What if we have 72o? If we decided to play it and the board didn't help us out, then it is an easy fold - we know where we are at in the hand (and therefore cut our potential losses by continuing when we are dominated).

In my opinion, "complicated" hands are usually ones tough for us to assess how we compare to opponent(s), regardless if we hit or miss the community cards.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ and QJ. When hits higher cards on board its dificult to plays these to me. sometimes i was against AQ,KQ,QQ,..

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For some reason I struggle with hands like AJs and A10s. I hesitate on folding if no one has open raise or raise pre-flop.

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 10-10, J-J, and A-K.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My vote would be for mid pocket pairs when you are out of position and there is one overcard on the flop. These are spots you generally can't give up in but are not sure where you stand and you also know the turn card is not only not likely to help but usually will be another overcard. In these instances you really have to be aggressively disciplined. You normally need to put money in the pot but also be ready to walk away if need be. If you get all the way to the river it will be very tough to know if you are being called down by a better hand or someone who thinks you are on a bluff.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands