Grinding it out for 2 months...with a $3 BR!

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whats up? Well, here's the deal, I used to play awhile back, but lost my interest (and my BR :p), so i took some time off...4 months or so. Now, I'm back and will be grinding it out with the $3 I have sitting in my account from when I went bust because I played above my BR.

Ill basically be playing tight. They say if you play too tight, your earnings suffer, but honestly, I learned the hard way that playing tight (very tight) while grinding it out works just fine. Only problem is its gruesome. Other than that though, I'll be saving that post flop shit for the .25/.50 + NL tables.

I'll be treating this like a part time job, playing 5 hours a day, and sticking to my tight rules, only ONE table at a time! Also, I'll be playing @ .02/.05 NL tables, and any freerolls I can register for. I'll get more into how I play later, but I plan to turn this $3 into $100 by December 1st.

I'll update this every night until December 1st (yes, even the FEW bad days) starting tonight. One more thing...I play at pokerstars:D

Starting BR: $3.00

Current BR: $5.50

11/8/2008: +$1.50 [+50%] Note: Still 2 hours to go.

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl man, keep us posted!

You said keeping to your tight rules, are you going by some book or just something that you liked when you played before?

Last edited:
KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gl...why not play 1c/2c so that you can grind more and risk less lol

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I was just about to stop playing and come give you all a bust report in shame...lol. To sum it up I had AA, and by the time the river came I was all in. Some fish had been betting and raising with a pair of 4's and the river was a 4. That left me with $2.25 total (I was up to $7 & would've had about $10 total).

So, i was pissed and about to go on tilt, but instead, I decided to loosen my play...tilt:rolleyes:. I had AQ suited and luckily everyone had called on some guys .15 raise. I used that, and went all in to make it look like i was trying to steal the pot. Well, the flop came 6Q3, so I reeled them in and @ the end of the night I'm happy to report Im up to $8.50, total :).

Current BR: $8.50

11/8/2008: +$5.50 [+189%]

Peanut: No NEW books or anything, simply playing with what worked for me last run

Curtis: Your right, I should. I realized that I contradicted myself by saying I learned from my mistake (going bust), and then playing above my limits again, but I just can't stand .02 tables. But uh...in light of what almost happened, I think Ill suck it up and step down, I'll let you all know tomorrow with my next update!

Note: Lesson learned today...I wasn't playing as tight as I thought. Need to tighten up some more.

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nice come back!

I agree with the others in that you should play the 1/2cent nl. Seems every time I sit at one I come in with $2 and leave with $6 or better. Not too hard to crush those tables...

P

PDMike425

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
looking good, be smart and from now on, don;t play with your entire br, just a small portion. good luck

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why the .01/.02 NL table, I have been where he is at and have found that playing .02/.04 LHE is alot less damaging to such a small BR.

W

wooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hay good luck with your quest.

Just let you know i started with no bankroll at all.
Now i have over $1000
So it is very possible.

By the way im a not so good player so if i can do it ,i think almost anyone can.
And ive never made at cash tables overall.
Its all freeroll sng cash added tournaments for me.

I will keep an eye on your progress.
I hope you do well , good luck.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. I don't mean to spam the forums or anything, but I couldn't sleep so I decided to treat myself to a SNG, and I can't edit my post.

Well, good thing I did 'cause I placed 2nd. I could've EASILY placed 1st because I was the chip leader with like 22k to someones 3k or something (probably a better lead). I lost 'cause my ass started to hurt and this guy had the best luck ever. So I just went all in every hand and his luck never stopped.

Obviously that wasn't smart, but I am happy with 2nd & $5.40. $7.20 would've been nice...but im tellin you my ass is like raw. heheh. I can make up the difference in my ring games anyway.

Current BR: $12.85

11/8/2008: +$9.85[+428%]

Quick question...anyone know where I can get anything like a 30 day trail version of poker tracker? I had poker tracker 3 beta when I was playing awhile back, doubt it works now.

EDIT: Hey "Wooo", how long did it take you to get there? Congrats man.

S

Sasskesse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should definitely play 1/2c until you reach a BR of at least $40. Otherwise, you run a very high risk to lose your winnings again.

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very impressive run so far keep up the good work. No worries about spamming the boards, I find it interesting to keep tabs on you, good reading!

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea making a new post is nice cause those of us following your progress can know when you updated. i doubt anyone will mind as long as you keep it in this thread and not making new ones.

As for poker tracker i know that they allow you to have a 60 day trial. you might download it again and see if it works. Otherwise might have to do some registry editing to get the old PT off your comp so that you can install the one now.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright well glad you guys support this. Well, I wish I would've taken a Screen shot of my $3 BR because this might seem like BS. At least I wouldn't believe it anyway.

I peeked at $15.50 today as far as ring games go, but lost some and went down to about $14.00+. I decided to treat myself to another SNG. Was it a good idea?

Starting BR: $3.00 - 11/8/2008

Current BR: $20.18 - 11/9/2008

11/8/2008: +$17.18[+672%]

I'm not complaining! Only problem is I'm scared to play tomorrow (or later today...still haven't slept) lol. Don't want to face that down swing.

And thanks Peanutym, I'll look into that. I'd really like to see if I'm using my strategy the way I think I am or if I'm just getting lucky.

I've found that @ the .05 NL level, its best to play either tight or intentionally play like a fish and purposely get caught bluffing to keep them guessing. The latter is tough though because its hard (for me at least) to keep track of my re-raises/ bluff re-raises, etc...Looks like I'm doing alright though, but I want to make sure. We'll find out if it was just luck tomorrow!

I gotta say though, you sort of get into a rhythm with the bluffing and when you switch back to playing tight, after being "caught" a few times (not huge bets of course...but not too small either) they usually call you on everything or fear you...depends on the table. But, either way you win though because you've started to play tight again! Hope I explained that right...:confused:

'till tomorrow.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey OP. I've been thinking the same. Just grind it as tight as can be then once you're upto .25/.50 then you start worrying about really playing postflop etc. So I don't feel the only one in the world who's thought of this now ;)

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow...

Okay, well at least i took a screen shot of my BR this time. Here's the deal I entered a Freeroll on Poker Starrs, and I beat thousands to get to 5th place:D...which sucked. How does 5th place suck you ask?

Well, the $20 is good, BUT i shouldn't have been eliminated (like I was anyway)! I was shooort stacked (like 250 chips) and the Card Gods revealed my AA. AA is great, but the best thing about these Ace's was the fact that I was the BB! So I knew I was going to rake in some more chips/cash and make 2nd/3rd place. WRONG! lol suffered a bad beat.

The guy had K,10 to my AA. flop comes out ***, turn ***K, and what could the river be? ahah yup a freakin ***K10. I was owned!

I'm very happy with 5th place, but the way I went out. You all know how that can be. Wish I had PT working b4 I started.

Okay so onto the new BR (with pics:cool:!

Starting BR: $3.00 - 11/8/2008

Current BR: $38.98 - 11/9/2008

11/8/2008: +$17.18[+672%] [New BR - $20.18]

11/9/2008
: +$18.80[+95%] [+1299%] <-Total Percenage[New BR - $38.98]

I'm trying to configure PT as I'm typing this. Forgot everything about the program:(. It's all good though because now I can play .05 NL wth no worries:cool::cool::cool:. I'll still play the same of coure. 'cause if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Damn, Ima be a millionaire aha :dancing2:

EDIT:I tried to upload the pic, but I don't know why they are so small. I'll use photo bucket later

Attachments

• Bankroll20.jpg
    Bankroll20.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Bankroll38.jpg
    Bankroll38.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really hate posting so much but I cant edit the posts...weird stuff. Well I played at a $3 SNG and wow do they suck there. They are no better, or possibly worse, than the $1 SNG players.

Long story short, I'm @ $51 now I'll add it to my little log when i post for the last time tonight. Hopefully, I'll be at $60.

What? dont believe me?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll20.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll38.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/mynuts2u/Bankroll51.jpg

I'm starting to think I'm really onto something here...

In yo face!! heheh.

KoenigKing

KoenigKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha thats crazy man. soon youll be able to turn your $100 into $1,000,000!!!! :) gl with it all

P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting to keep up with for someone like me that is still new to the game.

Although my NL expereince so far has been bad, i feel im getting better at limit but i still like to read about how youre doing

S

smashbot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so looking back at the beginning, you jumped right into ring games with your 3 dollars?

i have 3 dollars as well, but im playing on full tilt. the smallest ring games are .5/.10 and min buy in is 2.00.

i'll probably freeroll, since i think i dont do very well at ring. plus the ring games are still too high for my roll.

you progressed extremely fast! be sure to drop levels just in case the time ever comes. gl, keep us updated!

W

wooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well done on your progress.
you are creaming it.
You will overtake me in no time.
It took me over 8 months to get where i am
However i only play 1% of my bankroll at a time
Thats becos i dont think im a very good player yet.

So when you get to $1000000 ill have $5000 lol
Keep it up Good luck

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Well, I decided to ditch the ring games, and stick with SNGs for the night. I played 3 18 seat SNGS (@ $3 +.40) and lost, I placed, but I placed 1st in the fourth one so I got it all back + a little extra. Then I decided to go for a $4.40 180 Seat, and got like no cards, but I got to 19th place and missed the moneey (18th and under gets paid).

By the end of it, I was right back at $51, so I entered two more SNGs. One $3.40 and the other 4.40. I was doing great but had some horrible beats. I had 99, the other person had 88. I dont remember what the board was but I got 3 of a kind and somehow he landed a straight. That would've lead me to the final table in the 180 game for sure. The other beat was a AQ, me and AJ him. He landed a jack on the river. That one wouldve made me chip leader and given me a 1st/2nd place finish.

So, at the end of the day I'm at 44.18. I'll make a log later. I'm going for one more SNG and calling it a night. I'll update tomorrow.

Isn't there a way to get the hands off PT and post them up here so you all can see this garbage?

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yo Liveone. I've thoguht about what you're doing. So i took it upon myself to give it a shot. I had 31c in my Stars account. So i thought, I know, i'll buy into the 10c 360 player Turbo that they have going on. I ended up coming 1st which gave me a healthy $8.50. I might start up a new thread of my own if everyone would be up to see how i'm doing. I'm gonna go onto the 1c/2c table an TAG it up an see how I do from there. Let me know peeps

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annnnd for all your Viewing pleasures ;)

Attachments

• pstars2.jpg
    pstars2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 22
P

peanutym

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look in the section on the forums about posting ring or tourny hands. there is a link there to a converter to post with. just have to cut and paste your hand history from PT

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Well, I decided to ditch the ring games, and stick with SNGs for the night. I played 3 18 seat SNGS (@ $3 +.40) and lost, I placed, but I placed 1st in the fourth one so I got it all back + a little extra. Then I decided to go for a $4.40 180 Seat, and got like no cards, but I got to 19th place and missed the moneey (18th and under gets paid).

By the end of it, I was right back at $51, so I entered two more SNGs. One $3.40 and the other 4.40. I was doing great but had some horrible beats. I had 99, the other person had 88. I dont remember what the board was but I got 3 of a kind and somehow he landed a straight. That would've lead me to the final table in the 180 game for sure. The other beat was a AQ, me and AJ him. He landed a jack on the river. That one wouldve made me chip leader and given me a 1st/2nd place finish.

So, at the end of the day I'm at 44.18. I'll make a log later. I'm going for one more SNG and calling it a night. I'll update tomorrow.

Isn't there a way to get the hands off PT and post them up here so you all can see this garbage?