Getting out of the blurred thought

I

Iceman0805

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, guys. This is my second thread and I hope you like.

Before any questioning, I'm just a poker learning that enjoys writing.

Let's go then. I don't know if you guys are like me who have or used to have a single and simple goal: to win. And I've always got pissed of every time I didn't.

The motive of every decision never was clear in my head.

But in my new and serious learning process I've changed my mind. Every decision I make is preceeded by an quick analysis and based on a motive, even if, in the end, it become totally based on instinct. I'm trying to tell myself: You did this because of that.

And with this simple change of mind I'm having a new experience on the game because winning or losing is not the more important thing anymore. It is the decisions that matters.

This kind of attitude allows me to analyse every decision itself and judge "what the hell happened that made me loose with AKs against 39o" instead of simply complain.

That's it mates. I hope you like.

:icon_thum

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, my first goal is still to win, but I'm a fan of doing some questioning and analysis as to why i'm putting my chips into the pot. Am I gambling or really playing my hand correctly? More importantly, why is my opponent doing what they are? Are they gambling or do they really have a hand?

I agree this makes you more involved in the game and helps to keep your emotions in check.

Good luck to you going forward.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I agree its not about winning or losing and it was when you first started. The reason the drive to win at first is to get you interested you know feel it out a little bit. However, the competition heats up and the poker gods are at a dismay as to witch one should win a hand so getting out on right decision important. As far as ace king losing to 3-9 that happens because you just won with slick and got ****y and bet it again. Every two hole cards can be beat. You have play the percentages of how often slick should win then to pocket tens finally for example ace ace when do they all line up for three hole card lead cause each of the pockets do for a win.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah. If there are 100 players and they play 100 games, the law of averages may suggest each player is going to win one game. So going in with the mindset that I am going to win every game, well , that can be the goal, but I would say a very good player would win at most 5 of the games. So I would be prepared to lose 95 games as a realistic outcome.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you are playing purely for fun, the end goal in poker is to win money. There is a large element of luck in poker though, and this mean, nobody can ever win all hands, tournaments or sessions, they play. So in the short term the goal is to make good decisions, and this is the only thing, we should focus on. If we made good decisions, it does not matter, that our AKs lost to 93o.

If however we made bad decisions, then it does matter. Say we start with 100BB in a cash game, we raise AKs, BB defend. Flop comes A92 rainbow, he check, we bet, he call. Turn comes 3, the board is still rainbow, he check, we bet, he check-raise, we call. River is a T, he jam, we call, he show 93o and win with 2 pair. This is a situation, where yes he got lucky, and he played bad before the flop, but we made by far the biggest mistakes in the hand. We should have folded on the turn or the river, because our hand was not good enough to play for all the money.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO to many people talk about luck. When often its bad playing that got you beat. Did you let that 93o hand get in cheap? If you shoved preflop with AA and 93 calls and beats you he didnt get lucky he just played very bad and hit. If that person was truly lucky you will find him at the final table but often you will notice his chips take wild swings and go from 2000 to 20000 to 5000 to 25000 to 0 within a few rounds. Having said that I often realize my stupidest plays are when I shoved when I thought I was behind thinking well I might get lucky. If I do or don't hit my 1 outer it was not luck it was bad play either exposed or rewarded.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes indeed well said,the trick is holding it all together for the required amount of time but that is a huge part of the mindset required for winning poker play.
I could say there are other factors outside of good decision making but it really does nearly cover it all and again its a matter of keeping the right mindset for the required time,i slipped at a final table a few days ago in the small blind simply because my mind wandered to something outside poker in my life,i lost concentration and made a silly raise that wouldve been fine early on,but not at FT....haha was in dreamland but clicked as soon as i made the raise...its that easy to slip,yet so hard to keep that right mindset the entire time.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your new approach to the game. Poker becomes a much more pleasant game when you embrace the whole experience and not focus solely on whether you won or lost. We all want to have some big wins and it can be very frustrating when we are playing well and getting close only to bust out a few hands later. You have to realize that there are going to be ups and downs, sometimes many more downs than ups (definitely true for tournament play). You want to improve your game and, subsequently, your chances of success. You should analyze your play after each session. Make sure you don't just focus on the hands you lost. Sometimes we make mistakes even on the hands we won. Also, take note of any different situations that came up during the game and how you handled them. Good luck with your new approach. Be persistent and practice good bankroll management !