Getting better

A

Andrei Afrasinei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Recently I started to study as much poker as I can (articles/streams/videos/etc) and I wanted to start playing as serious as possible. I deposited 60$ and started to note on a spreadsheet what stakes to play depending on my bankroll and some other stuff in order to manage my bankroll so i don't lose everything in a short period of time.
I currently play micro stakes mtts and i've played about 90 mtts. So far so good because right now my bankroll is 160$. It has been 200 but i started to lose in the last couple of days. Even tho' i want to think it was bad luck i know i just need to improve. My best result is 30th place in a 3.30 bounty builder cashing out 137$. However... I'm out of ideas on how to improve in an efficient way. Is playing playing playing the best way to improve? How did you guys get better at the game? I can barely reach last 100 players and never got to the final table. I know i didn't play alot but still...
Just to be clear..i don't want to be greedy i just want to know how did you guys improve? What worked best for you to improve? What is the best way to spot my mistakes? I am sure i do the same mistakes over and over again without even knowing so.. Is there a way to discover those mistakes?

Thank you guys. Cheers.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there :D
Its good to hear you have a bankroll management, thats very important.

Its not greedy to want to improve ;)
I can recommend watching tournement reviews, to see what other
players do to make it deep, there you can pick up on some good stuff.
Gripsed poker training on youtube have some reviews worth watching
and there you will also find alot other great stuff related to mtt poker.

Also study pot odds so you know when to play and when to fold.
Have a gameplan for what to do with diffenrent stack sizes, so you know
when to reshove, push all in, and when to play or fold.
Just keep grinding and believe in yourself. Dont let a bad streak
question yourself. Take pokerbreaks on 2-3 days is healthy for your
game as well, and you clear your mind from bad beatings and bad streaks.

Good luck :D

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think myself as a good player, still a lot to learn but I think the best way to learn is analyzing your hands after session. Posting on forum, listening other people's opinion is a good thing too. Also, books and videos is a good way too improve. I'm watching Splitsuit's videos on YT. Even though, it's not about cash, but I still enjoy it.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can never have enough info to make you better

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found that just reading some of the information provided by the members of the Cardschat groups has been helping me a great deal. I put that to use earlier this week and I placed first ina freeroll tournament. I won over $20 ..... my biggest win ever. It may not be much to a lot of you guys, but it was amazing for me. Thank you Cardschat !!!!

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play many tournaments but learning some push fold ranges would probably help a'lot and they should be easy enough to find.And you have sites like pokervip which have extensive tournament and cash game video library's.You want to try and learn from different sources to give you a more diverse understanding of different tactics and strategies.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are doing something right when you went from your $60 deposit and turned your roll into $160. You also noticed a down streak since your roll at one time was over $200.

I know for me, i may drop down to $1 tourneys when I am under $100, I may play $2 when over $100 , and then play $3 tourneys when the roll hits over $200.
Best of luck in your journey and I always base my success on the size of my roll.

S

Streethawk71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Analysing your own hands is most telling.
This is how to spot your leaks and plug them.