Full stack bluff

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you bluff for your whole stack, and how often do you get exposed and opponents called?
I try not to do that, especially when I have more than 20 big blinds.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's up to situation. If the opponents are passive players or the cards look favorable to me, I do sometimes. But vice versa, if opponents are persons like kinda tanks, so they call anytime, then I don't bluff.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
a lot depends on the style of play of the opponent, as my colleague mentioned earlier. Passive players can bluff more often. For me it makes no difference whether I have a big stack or a small stack, I bluff when I think it's this moment. They rarely call but also rarely bluff.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is tricky because you need a reputation or some respect if you try this (unless they are weak/nitty/passive players who would fold too often). If you don't have this reputation of someone capable of pulling the trigger with these hands, then the bluff won't work. Likewise, if you do plays like this too often, then you come across as a maniac and to no surprise, they start calling you down.

Even if the bluff is situational, you have to be correct a good amount of the time I think. It is perhaps a bit reckless to be in with nothing for huge percentages of your stack and All-In is 100% of your stack by default (unless your stack covers the opponent).

Not saying this isn't a good play - it could be profitable in the correct setting. I think you need to be very selective with this play though.

It might also work slightly better in live poker than online too. In live games, people are less inclined to call off All-Ins for fear of looking silly. Online, no one really sees you behind your computer monitor. In live poker, the embarrassment they might encounter might give you some extra fold equity, but even here it is a risky play I think. Choose spots with care :)

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done it and won a good amount of chips and I have done it and lost. It is poker. Before my brain issues hurt me, I was called the assassin by old friends. If I took a dislike to a player, I would use every trick in the book to destroy them. I had nothing preflop. I honestly think I had like 72 os or something similar. That was not important. I had won a few pots off a big mouth with nice hands and would show my hands to him. I ran a bluff on him with that hand and he folded. When I showed, he was livid. It put him on tilt and was gone from the tournament quickly. You just have to pick the right person at the right time.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only when enemy's timidity can be sensed clearly.