Freezing time in late stage

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So here is the deal. 2 tables, and everyone start to freeze time even large stacks. It was like 9-max and 3 shorts. And everyone freezing. What is the point for large stacks to do that? Can someone explain pls? I went mad in the end :mad:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does not make any sense, but inexperienced players do.
Same with the bubble, most if not all sites switch to hand-for-hand play. you'll see many small stack players keep delaying, where it only works against them.

damkoMTK

damkoMTK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are trying get on the final table and cash out. So they are playing it slowly not to risk the loss. It happens a lot

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, stalling in a tournament (usually in the late stages just before the money, and/or final table) is one of the saddest, most pathetic strategies ever used in online poker. Daniel Negreanu campaigned against it in live poker and online, but people still continue to do it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people here at CardsChat who do it in our tournaments, and it ruins the game for everyone else.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In a satellite tournament it is correct to stall even for a big stack. Which often makes them super boring and slow before or on the bubble.

In a normal tournament it can be correct for the short stacks to try to just get in the money by stalling.

When it is hand-for-hand it is just stupid to time out of course.

If big stacks also slow down it probably means that the prize money means a lot to them. But it is usually incorrect since you should use you big stack to pressure the player that are afraid to take risks.

The big stacks should often be more aggressive on the bubble or just before the bubble if medium stacks and short stacks are afraid to place out of the money.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i use this constantly and it pays off... whether im in first or 28 of 28 i do not MIND being short of blinds yet others do.... if you have four tables and money goes up for the next person and is NOT hand for hand play for you to play that hand and LOSE your stack and lose that extra money makes you DUMB imho... new poker tells you to go all in if you have so many blinds only... i win as often in finals from 9th as i do 1st.... so till im at the final table if there is any WAY i can possibly ensure myself more money I am FLAT OUT going to use that every day every tourney every time.....

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In a satellite tournament it is correct to stall even for a big stack. Which often makes them super boring and slow before or on the bubble.

In a normal tournament it can be correct for the short stacks to try to just get in the money by stalling.

When it is hand-for-hand it is just stupid to time out of course.

If big stacks also slow down it probably means that the prize money means a lot to them. But it is usually incorrect since you should use you big stack to pressure the player that are afraid to take risks.

The big stacks should often be more aggressive on the bubble or just before the bubble if medium stacks and short stacks are afraid to place out of the money.

Correct pentazepam - there are valid reasons for the big stack and the short stack to delay play in and around the bubble. Anyone who claims otherwise is being contrary for the sake of it. If you have played for an hour and a half and have run bad, been low stacked the entire time, making a minimum cash under the circumstances is gratifying, even rewarding.

Frankly, its silly to claim otherwise as we have all been in such a situation.

On the other hand, there are some sites with a unique culture that seemed to have developed a rancorous attitude where people deliberately run the clock down to annoy other players from the first hand onwards. That's an entirely different matter and one which is grating.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Correct pentazepam - there are valid reasons for the big stack and the short stack to delay play in and around the bubble. Anyone who claims otherwise is being contrary for the sake of it. If you have played for an hour and a half and have run bad, been low stacked the entire time, making a minimum cash under the circumstances is gratifying, even rewarding.

Frankly, its silly to claim otherwise as we have all been in such a situation.

On the other hand, there are some sites with a unique culture that seemed to have developed a rancorous attitude where people deliberately run the clock down to annoy other players from the first hand onwards. That's an entirely different matter and one which is grating.

im twisted but even i couldnt do this hahaha

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You probably proved your point and now they are gambling if they change. It is up to you to throw a ringer in the game. Be warned you don't want to change unless the money is right. You dont want to change for a two dollar tournament. Think of what you would do. Hide it and do it on a big money tourny thats worth the win.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed very annoying. You cannot do anything about it. Just don't do it yourself. There is no use in delaying your game just to finish in the money or to just reach the final table. Play to win.