Folding the winning hand

S

suu18

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi
I am just wondering how common it is for players fold the winning hand, either through a lack of concentration or a misclick, only to realise it later? Is is something that only happens at the beginner level or do experienced players do it occansionally as well? I have played a fair bit of poker, but I just stupidly folded a straight in a hand online (caught runner runner), not realising that that is what i had. I am wondering if anyone ever done something like this before?

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, Im pretty sure Ivey hadn't looked at his hand since the beginning of the hand, if he had he wouldve known he had the winning hand. Online you have the hands right in front of your face the whole time.

schnozzinkobenstein

schnozzinkobenstein

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. Ivey must've been really tired to do that.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to figure these players are sittting there for long peroids of time. Hhil had to think he had club and not a spade. You dont see that lot on the tour and not from Ivey.

I have played a some late nighters online that have went to early morning. Had few misclicks and misread the baord. All part of being human, mistakes will happen. good thing there was he didnt realize it, pot was not all that big. Could have been lot worse.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it happens. A few weeks ago I accidentally folded an AA preflop after somebody went allin before me. Misclick...

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded a river straight yesterday cause i'm a fool and wasn't concentrating though I did realise as I was pressing the button. Don't worry about it. There's a thread in the golden archives where a guy folded a FH, now that was funny.

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol! just now too i did and after i seen that i folded the best hand.. my game went dirty and i played like mad dog and lost it.. and now sitting frustrated... It happend many times, it is all about reading the opponents, if you did it well it wont happen..!

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first year playing in a live B&M $5/$10 LHE game. I get KK. Myself and three others cap it pre-flop. I flop a set and cap it with two others. I turn a full-house and we cap again. We all cap the river and one guy flips over his quads. I muck my kings full over aces without showing.

The next night I'm hanging out waiting for the games to get going and I'm reading the card room rules: "Any jacks or better full-house beaten by four of a kind wins our bad beat jack-pot!"

Always show your hand to the dealer...

whowantsahighfive

whowantsahighfive

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, online if I fold the best hand it's a misclick, haha. Live, I can't recall having done it. I know I've misread my hand before but yeah, anyone who's played a lot of live poker like myself has done that. Mainly because I look at my hand once and that's it. Sometimes I confuse myself forgetting which card was the diamond and which was the heart.

R

RoTs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens. Just try to make sure you take the time look at the hand when you act. Maybe to many tables or other things going on that don't let you focus.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first year playing in a live B&M $5/$10 LHE game. I get KK. Myself and three others cap it pre-flop. I flop a set and cap it with two others. I turn a full-house and we cap again. We all cap the river and one guy flips over his quads. I muck my kings full over aces without showing.

The next night I'm hanging out waiting for the games to get going and I'm reading the card room rules: "Any jacks or better full-house beaten by four of a kind wins our bad beat jack-pot!"

Always show your hand to the dealer...

OMG no that sucks!!! How much was the jackpot??? More than the pot you guys had together?

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im sure everybody folds a winning hand from time to time..whether via misclick,misread,bluffed off of it, or whatever else...shit happens

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG no that sucks!!! How much was the jackpot??? More than the pot you guys had together?

I honestly don't remember. But, I really needed the money at the time. It was big enough that I actually threw up when I realized what had happened, lol.

B

bammi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody makes mistakes . I have done it by misclicking a few times multi-tabeling. Once I click all in when I meant to fold. I had something stupid like 73 the person I called had a high pp pair. I ended up winning the hand but I felt like a donk

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly don't remember. But, I really needed the money at the time. It was big enough that I actually threw up when I realized what had happened, lol.

Poker is a great game... but sometimes it can just make u feel sick. Hence the term SICKKKKK... its not just a replacement for OMGWTF.

On another note, almost folded aces today when multitabling freerolls, it was pretty close.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a great game... but sometimes it can just make u feel sick. Hence the term SICKKKKK... its not just a replacement for OMGWTF.

On another note, almost folded aces today when multitabling freerolls, it was pretty close.

u almost folded aces on accident? or after you saw a flop, turn and thought you were beat?

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u almost folded aces on accident? or after you saw a flop, turn and thought you were beat?

It was preflop lol, I used to get super excited when I saw aces in the pocket, now its just another starting hand unless I'm deep in a tournament. I had just folded on the two other tables, it was like K6... fold... 65o... fold... AA... fo- wait, uh what?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its pretty common at any level.

You cannot see your opponents cards.

So if of all the hands he could have you beat two of them.. and it just so happens that this time he has one of those two but bets anyway... it is correct to fold the winning hand.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha.. i have never seen that video before. Priceless

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it when i know that i still don't have nuts , and the bet size that i would fold the winning hand due to that you still don't know what the other person has

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've made thos mistakes too, heck i missclicked AA, today i folded a straith, saw it after i did it.

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you just imagine?

After seeing the video and some of the responses of other members, and at least a couple of mistakes that I've made, can you imagine how much the misses, mistakes, or oversight's would add up to in $$$$$$$$. It would be very interesting to know how much if there was ever a way to determine it.

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't remember what it was, but yeah, I folded the winning hand once or twice thanks to tiredness/lack of concentration. I'm sure it happens to everyone at one point or another.

The only memorable "misclick" I can remember was when I was browsing the net and just as I clicked a link the poker window popped up, and I was all-in with 72o. Needless to say I wasn't very popular at the table... especially since I won the hand. :p

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker