Folding good hands

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking for advice, I'm a break even to very small winning player at the lowest of the Low stakes, 3bb/100 over 12k hands. I think one of many leaks but possibly the biggest is calling down with my good/ half decent hands, not second pair but tpgk, trips, straights on semi-wet boards and low flushes. Also not being able to let go of AA or KK post flop when all the signs are telling me to fold. I consider this a form of tilt because when I review these hands after I'm baffled by my decisions. Has anyone had issues with this early in their playing?
Many thanks.
I can post some hands later when I get home.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, being disciplined enough to fold good/big hands when you know you're beat is one of the hardest skills/habits to develop as a poker player especially when you're a beginner. In the long run, you need to make good/correct decisions to succeed at poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is completely normal, and even when you have a lot of experience, it can still sometimes be difficult to fold good hands, when you know, you are beat.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
difficulty

When it was a monster hand by flop, it's very difficult to fold.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This really makes the difference between a solid and a good player. Especially as we are usually quite ok in getting value this is where we lose the most. Turn and river are the most costly apparent toy tk make wrong decisions.

What I usually try to do is get rid of the hand at an early stage. Especially if there are a ton of cards that will make me wanna - not necessarily do - fold the turn/river.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
small stakes are way harder or more difficult honestly.... is much easier to get a good player to lay down then is an intermiddieant or very bad player... so actually this might shock you is more there play then yours which is affecting you...

what you can do is check raise more trapping style ... they cbet raise it three four times they shove you might be beat they smooth call? you bet next street see if get off hand

again your playing a low skill level of players often.... their decisions are not what a normal grinder would do... so yes you can have issues for very long periods of times at this level

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the hardest things to do. At the time of folding can be frustrating not knowing if your really beat or not but after that hand is over and you still have chips to play with your definitely going to appreciate it. Good luck out there and keep grinding:O)

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking for advice, I'm a break even to very small winning player at the lowest of the Low stakes, 3bb/100 over 12k hands. I think one of many leaks but possibly the biggest is calling down with my good/ half decent hands, not second pair but tpgk, trips, straights on semi-wet boards and low flushes. Also not being able to let go of AA or KK post flop when all the signs are telling me to fold. I consider this a form of tilt because when I review these hands after I'm baffled by my decisions. Has anyone had issues with this early in their playing?
Many thanks.

I think laying down overpairs was my biggest leak early on. But after putting in alot of volume, I was able to lay it down. Early on, we as beginners get attached to those hands, but once you lose the attachment after putting in volume and seeing more things here and there, then those laydowns will be easy. Just understand board texture and your opponent. You can almost always feel the situations out and make the right decision accordingly.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks.
I find I struggle with this too, so you're not alone. I'm not sure why I do it, maybe just out of the boredom of folding, or not wanting to give villains credit for strong hands, but it's one of my biggest leaks unfortunately. It's even worse when villains flop sets...

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the game we also have to know how to lose to win. Some players bluff others not and others luck. You have to read, what kind of player is on the other side to know what your action is to drop or call. Good luck buddy.:)

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The lowest of the low stakes, here I mean you're thinking of a micro limit that's not playable in most poker rooms. I think it's a waste of time at this limit. I suggest you pay a higher amount and go for a higher limit (0.05-0.10) Before you do, you need to improve your game, it's a big problem if you can't play with premium hands.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the keys in poker I think is knowing when to fold a hand. It may not be easy, because you can be very strong, but sometimes the odds can be so disadvantegeous that you should.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi :ciao:
folding big hands is tough
many opponents watch poker pros bluff often with so many hands
seems at $1-3 levels many wish to imitate the pros and try bluff
so i hate fold premium hands

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It is tough to fold pocket AA or KK when two queens are on the board. The secret is to win the big pots and it is ok to lose the small pots.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not that to fold good or bad hands, or not, you need to play against the applets with opening ranges, cold calls, etc., the important aspect is statistics, and also shoot which hands give you minus the distance, and remove them from your calling range!

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very difficult to even analyze your own game without statistics collection programs. You cannot know for sure whether you played a certain hand correctly. Of course, there are obvious cases when it is easy to fold. For example, a pair of AA, this is just a pair, and on a wet board where there are all possible draw combinations, your pair does not look very good.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens more often than you think, sometimes the best players are those who know how to say no to a good hand, it takes discipline, courage, and knowledge to know when it is the best option not to continue. Best of lucks ;)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many thanks.

Yes, it took every experienced player thousands and thousands to figure out how to get away from the situation(s) you are describing.

But let me try to help you save some money!

You are just calling your opponent down on every street???

If you have a premium (or even just sub premium hand that you want to play)...why are you not raising them? Either preflop or on the flop. This should help you figure out where you stand with your opponent.

Play in position only and raise and re-raise. This should also help!

Good luck !

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u cant fold AA KK... go all in preflop dont min raise preflop. Try avoiding suted connectors like 43 56 23. If u have AK,AQ or A with smaller kicker and there are 2 allins before u just fold.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it is a lot harder to let go of these holdings when you are playing online. You only see you and the holdings you have. The best way to try to see what the others have is bet sizes and their options post-flop. If they call massive bets/raises post-flop, it shows a lot of strength on their end and you need to be weary of it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker