Five Card Draw - What to discard with three of a kind.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Is it better to discard two cards or one card? What are the odds of improving your hand with each option?

For example with A-A-A-7-9, should I discard both the 7 and 9 or discard only one.

vmsizo

vmsizo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, all the games are very complicated. I learned how to play only no-limit hold'em and play. The rest did not even try to learn. Maybe you should try some other kind of poker. I think it will be very difficult to change to another game

:wink:

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is it better to discard two cards or one card? What are the odds of improving your hand with each option?

For example with A-A-A-7-9, should I discard both the 7 and 9 or discard only one.

Alright, let's talk about this and what a good strategy should be. I am basing most of this on Ankeny's "poker strategy: Winning with Game Theory" which is old but focuses on five card draw.

• If you draw 1, you will improve about 8.5% of the time
  • If you draw 2, you will improve about 10.4% of the time

So, drawing 2 gives you a better chance of improving your hand, but look at how infrequently either of those draws give you a better hand. The majority of the time, regardless of which draw you do, you will still have unimproved trips after the draw. So, you should plan on playing the hand without improving. If you improve, that's a bonus.

One of his 7 rules is to "Never draw two cards." The idea being that you aren't going to "cat hop" (draw two cards to a straight or flush draw) and drawing two is going to define your range. His exact words are, "Against one opponent, unless there are exceptional circumstances, the information you reveal by drawing two cards is usually not justified by the odds."

That said, there are times when you will draw two. These spots are rare, but they happen. It would seem that some of your two card draws should be trips, to provide a hint of doubt when you draw two to A-A-K-x-x after your opponent draws 3.

His book is also based on antes and having to come in with a bet or calling/raising a bet. In those spots, you are never going to play cat hops. But, in a modern game with blinds, you might get limped to in the big blind holding three big suited cards. In that spot, it's free to draw two to your bust hand. And, you might hit a big pair or better. Now, you might draw two in that spot, but you won't be able to disguise this draw with your trips two card draws, because you should always raise trips in this spot.

Anyway, draw 1. It doesn't really reduce your chances of improving, but it does improve your ability to profit after the draw.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Alright, let's talk about this and what a good strategy should be. I am basing most of this on Ankeny's "Poker Strategy: Winning with Game Theory" which is old but focuses on five card draw.

• If you draw 1, you will improve about 8.5% of the time
  • If you draw 2, you will improve about 10.4% of the time

So, drawing 2 gives you a better chance of improving your hand, but look at how infrequently either of those draws give you a better hand. The majority of the time, regardless of which draw you do, you will still have unimproved trips after the draw. So, you should plan on playing the hand without improving. If you improve, that's a bonus.

One of his 7 rules is to "Never draw two cards." The idea being that you aren't going to "cat hop" (draw two cards to a straight or flush draw) and drawing two is going to define your range. His exact words are, "Against one opponent, unless there are exceptional circumstances, the information you reveal by drawing two cards is usually not justified by the odds."

That said, there are times when you will draw two. These spots are rare, but they happen. It would seem that some of your two card draws should be trips, to provide a hint of doubt when you draw two to A-A-K-x-x after your opponent draws 3.

His book is also based on antes and having to come in with a bet or calling/raising a bet. In those spots, you are never going to play cat hops. But, in a modern game with blinds, you might get limped to in the big blind holding three big suited cards. In that spot, it's free to draw two to your bust hand. And, you might hit a big pair or better. Now, you might draw two in that spot, but you won't be able to disguise this draw with your trips two card draws, because you should always raise trips in this spot.

Anyway, draw 1. It doesn't really reduce your chances of improving, but it does improve your ability to profit after the draw.

Thanks so much for the reply Vinnie. Much appreciated.

I cut my “poker” teeth playing five card draw in the seventies. These days I only play it in the Cardschat special games (200,000 member celebration & decathlon series). Brought back a few memories.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

discard 2 cards, if u have bet bluff u can stand and push all-in, it so strong hand, don't hasitate that.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks so much for the reply Vinnie. Much appreciated.

I cut my “poker” teeth playing five card draw in the seventies. These days I only play it in the Cardschat special games (200,000 member celebration & decathlon series). Brought back a few memories.
When I was a kid, the 80s, draw was one of the games I learned poker playing. That and stud (mostly 7 card, but some 5). None of us played all that well, I see that now. I could destroy those games with what I know now.

Note: I still think 5 card draw and 5 card stud (1 down, 4 up) are the best games for teaching basic poker play and hand ranking to new players. They are both so simple, compared to some of the more popular variations now.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like thas game, In my opinion, better is to discard one card, then the opponent thinks that you have two pairs. I was playing live card draw and many times I cheated my opponents..