First time playing Omaha. Need advice!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played Omaha for the first time ever (play money)... while drunk.

It's pretty fun. I noticed that having AA in your hand is really good it seems.

Anyone know of any good newbie learning sites for Omaha? I've been wrecking these people on a play money site while drunk, but I would like to seriously learn how to play. So that I can play it on Carbon occasionally on the micro limits.

I feel like my No limit Holdem game is decent, but I have never tried Omaha so I would like to play that as well occasionally.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6tsvxuhh5
<---- Right click and open the image in new tab to see it. For some reason it wont show on this website :( I am guest Hxvx LOL.

I have double the stacks as the other two guys. I'm just basically playing it as if it was NLHE, but I know that they are two completely different games. Especially with the fact that it is PLO and not No Limit. I wish I could shove and just stack these bad players, but unfortunately pot limit holdem is slowly take their stacks away.

Last edited:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since Omaha is a drawing game, stop your opponent/s of outdrawing you by

betting hard. If the community cards are very dangerous, you have to let your

hand go.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since Omaha is a drawing game, stop your opponent/s of outdrawing you by

betting hard.
If the community cards are very dangerous, you have to let your

hand go.

Good answer. You must know what a dangerous flop looks like, and develop an intuitive handle on the odds of your hand getting worse or someone else's improving, always at least prepared for the possibility of letting your hand go.

The biggest conceptual difference in Omaha (vs. NLHE) is the degree of having to draw and REDRAW to the absolute nuts. Included in that, is a very solid grasp on 'wraps'.

AA is always nice, but you have to understand the value of your entire hand as a team. The best starting hands have potential for high pair (trips or boat), nut flushes and/or good wrap (straight) potential.

Omaha is a game where you will soon learn that if you don't have the absolute nuts, good chance someone else does. With 4 cards, if you have a crummy flush, someone will have a higher one. Sucker end of a straight, you are beat. Any pair on the board that doesn't give you a boat, uh oh. And you see boats get beaten by better ones all the time.

Bottom line, the biggest mistakes I see are people overvaluing their hands. My biggest struggles in the game fall between that 'betting hard' as mentioned above, or value betting with a very strong hand (but running the risk of a worst flop scenario).

The mastery of the basic skills of Omaha vs. NLHE are very different with regards to betting. Omaha has/should have somewhat less bluffing involved, especially pre-flop. The Pot Limit structure keeps you more honest, although the pots can still easily escalate to all-ins. No one wants to get into a pissing match when they suspect they're beat. Knowing when you're beat is the trick. lol

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, I'd caution you not to play drunk, not Omaha and not any kind of poker. It's a great way to spew chips and lose your roll.

Which kind of Omaha? Omaha High and Omaha High Low are dramatically different.

Cash or tournaments?

This and this should start you off.

Good luck. ;)

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
remember that in omaha you cant make a flush with one card, you need two!

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, I'd caution you not to play drunk, not Omaha and not any kind of poker. It's a great way to spew chips and lose your roll.

Which kind of Omaha? Omaha High and Omaha High Low are dramatically different.

Cash or tournaments?

This and this should start you off.

Good luck. ;)

Good advice. I've played it on maybe 3 drinks, but not recommended for beginners. NOT a good game for anything more that the legal driving limit. haha Agree, it is a complicated game, hi/lo even moreso, and even seasoned players make all kinds of mental mistakes.

Thanks for the links. How do you separate just a single post from the whole thread?

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
omaha is tough for me prefer limit poker to it and omaha high low since people will chase the lows and yes get a ton of split pots but can play that better. My history with omaha is either im top five get a roll right off bat or out within half hour so need some help on play myself so bumping this.

I play connections cards and go for that in omaha is that a good strategy to some of the better omaha players here? 78 suited 910 suited etc.. playing omaha straight or non omaha high low which prefer?

What starting hands do you all suggest that win a lot at omaha?

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omaha is tough for me prefer limit poker to it and omaha high low since people will chase the lows and yes get a ton of split pots but can play that better. My history with omaha is either im top five get a roll right off bat or out within half hour so need some help on play myself so bumping this.

I play connections cards and go for that in omaha is that a good strategy to some of the better omaha players here? 78 suited 910 suited etc.. playing omaha straight or non omaha high low which prefer?

What starting hands do you all suggest that win a lot at omaha?

Which Omaha? Omaha High or Omaha High Low? Regardless of which, you cannot consider just 2 of your 4 hole cards. You need to consider all 4 of them and they need to work together.

Check out the two links in my post.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well im good at omaha high low cause play the highs while hoping people are chasing the lows generally.

I play suited connections in omaha what I call plain so guess that is omaha high? I play that style and do ok like said omaha for me is hit a big one or a miss totally lol either am out within a half hour or I own the tournament usually.

Is no in between haha. Why I prefer say limit holdem to omaha anything.

I am extremely good at limit poker but prefer no limit mtt tournaments.

J

Julia_H

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a relative newcomer myself, first piece of advice is, don't play Omaha and holdem in the same session - the differences in mindset are big enough that you should take a break between them.

There's far less variation in hole card strength in Omaha; don't overrate hands because two cards would be strong in holdem and as others have said, ideally all four cards work together. Bare pairs are easy to outdraw so learn to let go of AA and KK if they don't improve on the flop; while AA double-suited is a great hand I don't even play AA rainbow unless it's a very passive game. Don't naked bluff, and don't expect your opponents to be bluffing very often; the big pots will almost always be straight v higher straight, flush v flush and boat v boat and you want to make sure you're on the right side of them.

Other than that, good luck, enjoy and keep practising!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a relative newcomer myself, first piece of advice is, don't play Omaha and holdem in the same session - the differences in mindset are big enough that you should take a break between them.

There's far less variation in hole card strength in Omaha; don't overrate hands because two cards would be strong in holdem and as others have said, ideally all four cards work together. Bare pairs are easy to outdraw so learn to let go of AA and KK if they don't improve on the flop; while AA double-suited is a great hand I don't even play AA rainbow unless it's a very passive game. Don't naked bluff, and don't expect your opponents to be bluffing very often; the big pots will almost always be straight v higher straight, flush v flush and boat v boat and you want to make sure you're on the right side of them.

Other than that, good luck, enjoy and keep practising!

Really? One guy I saw from Nevada plays both Holdem & Omaha at the same time. However I should mention that he plays full time and makes a decent living playing both at the same time. :D

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should not change hold'em by omaha, it can ends unhappily, but if you already decided you should to know more about this one and don't play for money for the first time.

L

LornaMurray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, you should use some online Ohama learning sites for getting help. You have to keep an eye on new updates and techniques. Play for very low stakes or play money at first. Just because it’s called Pot Limit Omaha doesn’t mean you always have to pot it.

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is a 'drawing' game and a lot of people will chase to the river trying to make their hand! AA is always nice but if you don't improve on it likely it's a loser! Check out the sites recommended and really review starting hands - that' key. Great advice to watch the board for 'what could be' - if the board pairs, there is always a good possibility of a boat at best; or trips! 1 & 2 pair rarely win. And don't play DRUNK - especially when you move to real money! Good luck!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is a 'drawing' game and a lot of people will chase to the river trying to make their hand! AA is always nice but if you don't improve on it likely it's a loser! Check out the sites recommended and really review starting hands - that' key. Great advice to watch the board for 'what could be' - if the board pairs, there is always a good possibility of a boat at best; or trips! 1 & 2 pair rarely win. And don't play DRUNK - especially when you move to real money! Good luck!

Yeah I just checked out the starting hand list. I was shocked to see AAJT double suited as #2, but then I realized it made a lot of sense seeing as how PLO is more of a drawing game.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL I just stacked the table. One guy had trips of 888. I flopped a set of Jacks on the flop. The turn card was an 8 to pair the board giving me JJJ88. I took everyone's chips.

Go figure the next hand I had JJJJ. I folded it because I would not have 4 of a kind. I'm getting the hang of this game :D . It's frustrating waiting for good cards though.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started with 500 chips, and finished with almost 30,000 chips. I'm definitely understanding the concept of having double suited & high pocket pairs or suited connect

People can't fold second best flush when I have the nut flush. Like McDonalds... I'm lovin it!