fighting of bluffs in early MTT

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I play online but I also play live. I play tight at the beginning of a tournament but sometimes I find myself being bluffed by a bigger stack. For example tonight blinds started 100/200 I got seated kinda late so there were a couple of bigger stacks. I had about 9500 chips, and lets say 2 of my opponents had double that. After folding a few hands I got QQ under the gun I raised 3x bb. fold,UTG+2 called UTG+3 called, others fold, SB raised 2000. I called, the other two also called. flop was KKA rainbow SB bet 3000, I folded, utg+2 called, utg+3 folded. the turn was 4, SB bet 2000, utg+2 called, the river was 5. both checked, sb had 33 and utg+2 had 22.
I think now that maybe I should've reraised all in preflop because he bet so much. I didn't have a lot of info on him before this hand to lose all of my chips this soon to a ragged Ace. I also didn't expect two more hands to call his raise preflop.
how do you avoid losing big hands to these bluffs?

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was live I presume? I have 0 experience live but I'll comment on the hand anyways. I think you could have 4bet with the intention of stacking off on flop or just 4b all in. With 2 more guys behind you, you don't really want to fight off 3 guys post flop. This looks like a good spot to just ship and try to double up early in the tournament. Some fishes never folds pocket pairs after all.

That being said, alot of the times the 2 behind you are probably gonna fold most of the time because I don't see any decent player flatting from early position with AA/KK unless there is a maniac behind. So just calling here would have been fine.

Fold on flop is correct. You still have 2 behind and in a 3b pot fourway someone probably got the Ace or King. Flatting the 3b also looks suspicious of slowplaying monsters.
I guess although you folded and probably got tilted by these fishes, you should be happy your table is full of fish and proceed to take their chips in good spots :D

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with tohos. I'm guessing this was probably a small buyin tourney, lots of bad playesr. I'd GII here preflop. But not with a 4bet nonshove as tohos suggested at first. Your 4bet would be 4.75x raise to his 3bet which is fine. Just GII, they'll stack off with way worse, like 33 lol.

C

cleiton1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your desicion was right because the flop is very strong and you couldnt do anything with QQ but the others maybe wanna lose their chips or they dont know to play

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably just go for the 4 bet allin preflop.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I don't like late registration. You have no idea how these fish play and that sets you up for that bluff. I don't think you could of done anything else consider 3 others in the hand pretty good chance one has an ace.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's only one way to "fight off" bluffs, and it is calling the bluffer. I find that he slows down against you (at least for a little while) after a called bluff - if he's not a maniac.

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the comments. It is a freeroll tournament. I am a beginner and this serves as good practice. I am trying to step my game up a little to where I'm not short stacked later in the tourney because of playing tight and/or getting caught with bigger hands or bluffs.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the comments. It is a freeroll tournament. I am a beginner and this serves as good practice. I am trying to step my game up a little to where I'm not short stacked later in the tourney because of playing tight and/or getting caught with bigger hands or bluffs.

Snap allin 4bet for value in a freeroll!

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll I go all in with QQ,KK,AA
Usually I get only one caller and I win, I dont like to limp or Raise with those cards , too many hands , too many options to get beat by a lucky straight or flush, ALL IN is intimidating and usually makes most of the unsure players fold.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap shove 4bet pre-. If you're going to play tight, you need to be aggressive when you enter pots. When the 3bet comes around to you, your choices are to 4bet or call. Calling is clearly the more passive of these.

Also, without any reads, all you can do is assume typical play for the level of tournament you're in. In most live freerolls, this means QQ is ahead of the range for the 4bet, and also ahead of the 4bettor's calling range.

F

fernandough

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a game of instincts early. If your table seems to be lacking aggression, be the aggressor, if they are overly active, readjust and pick your spot.