Fear of loss

dimpuh

dimpuh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is always a fear of losing money / chips when playing tournaments, there is no such thing in cash games, I can’t understand how to overcome this, tried to choose tournaments with a smaller buy-in, it still doesn’t help, can anyone tell me how to overcome this feeling?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe start multi tabling, if you are not already, and play something, which run all the time, like the 45 man SnGs. If busting just mean buying into another one, will you really still care all that much?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well my friend ... if you are afraid of losing ... then do not play poker because you will end up losing everything ... it is normal that when we start playing poker we have that feeling of losing ... and believe me that we will eventually lose. .. but there are ways to lose ... and I mean that if you lose playing well but the variance defeats you you should not worry ... the matter is if we lose a hand for being afraid of not being aggressive for example ... if we have an AA pocket and we decided to "slow play" we would be risking losing our hand ... and that would be our mistake ...!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to play more and you will get more comfortable.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How is it not an issue with cash games? When you are losing more than a MTT buy-in's worth of cash, that should be significant for you depending on how your bankroll management is set up. Maybe review your BRM.

AIexander K

AIexander K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play only bankroll

An integral part of becoming a poker player is compliance with the principles of bankroll management. This is what has always distinguished a good poker player from an excellent poker player. And even when the meadow was softer, and the grass was greener, and poker could be earned with a mediocre understanding of the game, competent management of the bankroll was given a lot of time - this was and remains the main secret of a successful game and progress on limits.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is always a fear of losing money / chips when playing tournaments, there is no such thing in cash games, I can’t understand how to overcome this, tried to choose tournaments with a smaller buy-in, it still doesn’t help, can anyone tell me how to overcome this feeling?

You have to learn to love winning more than you fear losing.

If you are afraid of making mistakes or of wasting money then invest some time into studying the game and learning solid strategy. Armed with this you'll have a positive expectation at the table and you can plan to win more often than you lose.

Playing with money you can afford to lose is important but also feeling like you're a better player than average on your table is important too, because then your fear will be replaced with confidence.

Check out my website or youtube for a bunch of free courses & videos which will arm you with those winning strategy! (for free)