Fastest way to get good at poker?

T

TheCactus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The title says it all. What do you guys think is the fastest and most effective way to progress in becoming a profitable player?

Dany_Style

Dany_Style

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello , my advice to you is first do not rush so much in this game there are many things that are important for the success of the experience that I tell you first have discipline , read materials for poker books, watch videos, find out how to manage your bank , there are tables with starting hands , positions on the table , there are many streets pre flop , flop , turn and river ... not knowing your level of play , if you play well and you know these things will ask you to excuse me , but if do not know better start from there if you hurry when you have a lot of skill and calculation , I think that you'll lose money.

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go play poker game on facebook and stuff, for free. After, i learn a lot from heads up games, then start to play agenst more people on table, and then mmt, most of players would criticize this opinion, but its like basketball game, first you learn rules and play alone fist, then 1v1 on one basket, and later 3vs3 on one basket, and then you can play basketball 5v5 on two baskets of course.

Anyway, just go play poker game on fb for a while, and in a meantime read about it

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no fast way need learn all the time before you can be profitable player... first you need beat micro stakes than need move up...

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read

when I started I went to the library and it was full of holdem books, look for one that covers the basics. you will be surprised how much it adds to your game quickly, and will get you pumped at the same time.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi TheCactus and welcome to Cardschat. FanatsLV said "There's no fast way need learn all the time before you can be profitable player" and that is the bare fact. How long have you been playing the game? What level are you at, or what level are you going to start at? Are you going to start with a deposit, or play freerolls to start with? Have you thought anything about setting goals you can reach, and that will get you to where you want to be? What is the thing about your game that you want to get under control the most? See there is so many questions about the game. GL to you

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello , my advice to you is first do not rush so much in this game there are many things that are important for the success of the experience that I tell you first have discipline , read materials for poker books, watch videos, find out how to manage your bank , there are tables with starting hands , positions on the table , there are many streets pre flop , flop , turn and river ... not knowing your level of play , if you play well and you know these things will ask you to excuse me , but if do not know better start from there if you hurry when you have a lot of skill and calculation , I think that you'll lose money.

+1000 could not have said this better so I will not try...lol......scorp

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult question, because everyone thinks that being a good player,
not depends on a lot, I think the way always becomes difficult
when we realize that nothing is happening as led to believe!

to get to be a good player and profitability, we must first learn to respect our limits in poker ... bankroll control first

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The title says it all. What do you guys think is the fastest and most effective way to progress in becoming a profitable player?

I don't think you can rush perfection, therefore trying to become a profitable player as soon as U can is not GTO.

There are a plethora of things that you should/must do to just get the basics. Here are a list of things you should have/attain to become a profitable poker player.... Read books, Have a friend to talk hands over with & strategize, a proper starting BR & practice BRM at all times, watch videos, have a tremendous passion to be better, treat poker as a job & whatever part of poker U don't give 100% to will be exposed by better players. That's just the basics to start with.

One of the most things that people overlook is volume of play. As I'm sure you know the more you practice the better U will become.

GL & may your cards be live & your pots be huge.

MrPink514

MrPink514

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no shortcuts to becoming a quality poker player. But for the sake of this topic, just play A LOT of play money games/hands before you play for real money.

J

Jnuttall26

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way to really learn quickly. Like everyone says. It takes 10,000 hours to perfect what you do. I by the way though read books and also watched a lot of youtube videos of pros and how they play different situations.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play. A lot. Review. A lot. Repeat.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play A Lot Of Hands!

Can not say this better.
Read books about how to become a good player, there are MANY
Reach your first 100k hands - study them
Reach 500k hands - re-read all of your old poker books, and some new ones
Reach 1 million hands - celebrate that you havent went totally insane and then you will be a good player

Enjoy

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learn learn learn.. 1st learn poker.
Play according to you bankroll and type of match you can play well.. in long time you will find how to made profit.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree you cant rush it-but you can be proactive about learning-i was privy to some online coaching and watching hundreds of u-toobe vids on different things-i also had a few ppl thru the years take me under there wings and show me a better way to play-there is no short cutting the work needed to become better player and profitable

T

TossUpKing

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
practice is huge. go by what you know. if you just are new to poker and need to see hands go down and learn what it looks like. play freerolls, but dont think itll be anything like the real games... just use it to see how hands play out.
read books. talk to other players. watch some live players, hear their thoughts on it. and whatever you do.. dont think online poker and live poker is the same. learn them seperately... good luck!

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It takes more than just playing hands, making the same mistake 10,000 times isn't going to teach you anything if you aren't analyzing what you're doing and constantly trying to improve.

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
A lot to learn, watch other players to have patience, but mostly luck.

NikoSeven

NikoSeven

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing the game for quite a while, online only, and losing so many times to inferior hands that it is really a game of luck. I know what hands are good starting hands. I know that the dealer button is the best pos to play from. But when I have a premium starting hand on the button and go all in and another player goes all in against me with a 9-4 off suit and hits a 4 on the river or 2 nines on the flop etc... Happens more times than I care to mention. Seems like you can just play any 2 cards and win, no matter what your skill is.

M

MikeyE8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way to get good at poker is watch professionals play and see what they do. Play a lot of freerolls to gain experience and try studying as much as possible. Always remember you can improve at poker.

NikoSeven

NikoSeven

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ty for the advice. Is there an ez way to learn more about pot odds and statistics and such? I had a book by Ted slanski I think it was and I realized I should have paid more attention i n math class.

B

bizbakol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a lot, watch poker pros, be brave.