Facing my most common mistakes....what are yours?

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can only move forward and improve if you try to recognize and admit to your mistakes.

Here are some of mine:

- Calling from my SB all the time to see the flop and playing OOP (i discussed this in another thread and trying to improve it)...

- when in a multiway pot, I seem to regularly make a donk stab at the pot on the flop (just because the pot is huge, not due to any read, shouldn't be doing that with 4-5 people in the pot )

- My number 1 reason these days for exiting tourneys is.....taking a bluff too far and not giving up the hand when knowing the opponent is not capable of laying down a marginal hand

Im interested in knowing what mistakes you guys commonly make , it'll help me evaluate if I make those mistakes too and hopefully minimize them

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i ussually dont fold second monster even when i feel iam behind

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often get too far into the scope of just one hand, rather than understanding the scope of the entire tournament. For example, I'll often make a play because it's the "only way I can win the hand" which isn't always the best play. Sometime we have to accept our losses and conserve what we have left.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often get too far into the scope of just one hand, rather than understanding the scope of the entire tournament. For example, I'll often make a play because it's the "only way I can win the hand" which isn't always the best play. Sometime we have to accept our losses and conserve what we have left.

That's definitely a good point, and a often a trap I fall into. A bad lay down that can take you deeper in the tournament is much better that a bad call that can cripple or bust you.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I biggest mistakes I play are usually early in the game. Pushing to many chips and scareing the others off of small pot when I could have easily scored more chips.

The other is bluffing late in tourneys hoping to get some easy chips then getting caught and loseing a sizable amount of chips for no reason.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I biggest mistakes I play are usually early in the game. Pushing to many chips and scareing the others off of small pot when I could have easily scored more chips.

The other is bluffing late in tourneys hoping to get some easy chips then getting caught and loseing a sizable amount of chips for no reason.

Yes, your first point is also something I'm trying to improve on. Not making proper value bets and getting taking down small pots where a bigger pot could have been built.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good points. I really like to play the early stages for value and see a lot of flops cheaply (if the table is loose passive and allows me to do so). There is sooooooooooooo much value in hitting a flop hard and getting paid by players who over value top pair type hands.

Late stage steals are such a delicate act, and I certainly prefer a 30BB stack or more so I can safely get away from steals and/or experiment with the table to see how certain players react to steal attempts.

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to either over fold, or stay in hands too long. I've not found that happy medium lately.

Oh, and my other MAJOR flaw is believing getting the chips in with the best hand is a good idea. :cool:

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing pairs too hard - "pairs suck".

Believing that I am being bluffed and calling down when I am dominated.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, it is lack of patience, lack of discipline, or lack of patience and discipline. :D

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am heads up player and the most difficult thing when playing mtts is to readjust hands strengts. For example in heads up game second pair is a value bet while in mtt top pair top kicker is practically bluff catcher...

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, it is lack of patience, lack of discipline, or lack of patience and discipline. :D

If two aspects of a winning player were to be highlighted, it would be patience and discipline.

If you have the discipline and patience to fold for an hour in early stages of a tournament due to being card dead, you are doing something right.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want more action when I get bored so 3-bet and bluff all the streets way too often. Sometimes it works and I get right imago and get value with good cards but it's often very expensive :D

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My main problem is not neccesarily a mistake but I am sometimes just not quick enough to think it all throu. When I analize the HAnd afterwards I notice my poor decision due to lack of time.

And I can really feel most of your Problems some are hard to overcome.

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold to easy with good cards. All it takes is someone to make a bet where I could lose 20% of what I have left. Have watched straights go bye, 3 of kind because I have fold pairs below 10"s.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold to easy with good cards. All it takes is someone to make a bet where I could lose 20% of what I have left. Have watched straights go bye, 3 of kind because I have fold pairs below 10"s.

This might not be a mistake. Depending on the table dynamic and the stage of the tournament, folding low-mid pairs is fairly standard. :)

Also, whether or not you would have hit a flop should not have any impact on your analysis on whether the fold was "good" or "bad."