Experience Vs Study

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have two identical players, One who plays in "quality games" and one who studies "quality materials", with both spending the same amount of time doing their respective poker learning. After one year, the players compete against each other in heads up. One game online and one game in person. Who wins overall and why?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have two identical players, One who plays in "quality games" and one who studies "quality materials", with both spending the same amount of time doing their respective poker learning. After one year, the players compete against each other in heads up. One game online and one game in person. Who wins overall and why?

I believe using the information you provided that the one that plays "quality games" will have the edge.. that being said I think if the player playing quality games also studied the quality material then he would be an even better. To sum it up if they HAVE to only choose one I think playing will always be a better way to learn than studying, however it takes doing both to really stay on top of your game.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm Since heads up is a game in itself I would say the winner will be the one that has aquired the most heads up knowledge. If we assume that the studier was just studying heads up play and the player was just playing heads up then the edge in the online game would go to the studier and the edge in the live game would go to the player.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your definition of "quality games" here?
I am not sure what are you trying to get at with this question? Any one who does quality study will know that playing is part of studying.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if the player who plays quality games will also study the quality material, it would be even better. To summarize if you HAVE to choose only one, I think that playing will always be a better way to learn than to study, however, it is necessary to do both to really be at the top of your game.

lol did you just copy what I wrote?

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The person who studied would win. Experience isn't that useful without it being combined with advanced study.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the player with more experience will win , because even if u learn and read , it will never be like the real action. ( I m not saying the one learn is weaker , ) that s my opinion

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all learn differently, so it is possible that someone could become the better player simply through study. Possible yes, but unlikely. Most of us have difficulty relating the written word to actual practice. Most of us absorb better thru realistic learning scenarios. That said, if the person learning by playing quality games lost all of them, it could be argued that he's not learning a lot, and would not have a chance against a hard studier.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need a balance of both,playing alone doesn't teach you the basics of the game like ranges equity and odds.And study alone doesn't teach you about the reality of being in certain situations while playing.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Experience would win over book smarts. Until a person has hands on experience, book smarts is in the head. Actual experience can put real money in your pocket.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Does the one "studying" do ANY playing at all ? If not, I'd definitely go with the one who has been playing. There is just no way to be prepared for the wide variety of situations and playing styles by simply studying materials. You need to actually be in these situations yourself to understand how best to respond.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what that would tell us, but if the question was if they both played at the same stakes the same number of hours and one of them did no studying but table selected well and the other studied hard and didnt table select who would have more money. And the answer would be the guy who table selected would have more money, but if you asked who was the better player- it would be the guy who studied.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying can teach you a lot but if you actually see a situation in an actual game you're playing it sticks with you so much better, especially if it costs you money. The more you see the more you know and the better you can utilize what you learn, everything you read in a poker book is well and good but it doesn't usually cover what actually happens in a game. Just like Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan till you get punched in the face...In poker everyone knows how to play until someone 3bet shoves preflop, experience can help you with these situations more than just studying imo

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I bet on experience, u know the game and u can handle better the presure

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are many variables that will be linked to poker, so that you can not give an absolute answer, the fact that a player studies a lot, and with quality material, does not mean that it will absorb this content, and will have an exemplary performance. Just as a player who plays "quality games" will not necessarily be in the same level of quality as his opponents.

One way of identifying who might have some advantage in this duel would be to look at the results that both have achieved throughout the games, but still a player who has accumulated a greater number of victories may find it hard to beat his opponent's strategy that does not get the same success over time.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Except for "Variance" the one who plays in "quality games" has more experience and should win in the long run.
Many players study the Theory of Poker, and that is essential, but there is No match for an Experienced Player! :ridinghor

B

biggfeet14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying quality material for poker is helpful. But, I do still believe that playing quality games make a difference especially live. Because, not everything you can learn in a book verse being there. It's like riding a bike. Riding the bike with training wheels. Either you will continue to study the basics or learn by experience.

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Impossible to answer because to be a winner in poker, not enough is only prepared in the matter of education or experience, have to have a mental preparation, objectives, goals, metrics, analysis, because the game is always being updated further with the expansion world that is having this wonderful sport. gl bro.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends on how the apply what they learn from their experience or study. I.e. you can study hours and hours but not apply what you learn at the tables. Same thing with experience, you can play hours and hours but make the same mistakes over ad over without learning from them

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems about 4 people think Study would win, and 8 think experience would win. Thanks everyone for the inputs!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think of it like learning to drive a car for example before driving test you can read and study until the cows come home get into your car think you know it all.
But put a driving instructor in their with you they will spot flaws that is the difference in quality game player.:)

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No book I think could pose all possible scenarios in poker and much less in a head up, eventually the experience would have the advantage, but on which the experience is based ??? ... in knowledge and practice ... and in some way that knowledge is achieved either by studying or simply watching videos. Until the one who has only studied does not acquire the experience, it will not be a great rival for the one who has the experience ... the ideal would be the combination of both. Good luck at the tables !!!

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the one who plays the game in reality will win. The first will have experience, and the second will have practice.