Equity with made hands

G

Gy001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I get the rule about equity with draws, for example: with an open ended straight and flush draws (According to the rule of 2 and 4) has 30% and 60% respectively, because of its draws.

But what I want to know is, let's say I have Ace King of Diamonds, and the flop comes Ah, Kc, and 7s. What is my equity then? I know there are calculators out there, but I want to know how to figure it out in my head against two unknown cards. Because, there is no way you can pin your opponent on one after the flop (unless you're Daniel Negreanu), and calculating your hand against a range in your head? Good luck, with that.

Please, this would make calling in certain situations so much easier.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the reason you study. When you plug in these numbers on a constant basis, then when the situation arises you will know where you at from an equity stand point vs your opponents hand range. Only way to get equity is through the calculator which computes over a million hands in 2 seconds. There is a math equation to calculate EV though.

And by the way the OESD is 16% for the next card and flush draw is 18% for next card. Only use the rule of 4 when you are all in and get to see both cards.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a by-talk, but is it only I that a person of a monster draw feels that a concluded probability is lower than a draw of normality?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use Equilab to give you an answer to questions like this one (top two AK vs random cards). Generally though, there aren't going to be simple rules like there are when we have a draw with an exact number of outs.

The other time when you can get more precise with in-game calculation is when you can make an assumption that your opponent basically has a draw. In other words, let's say we have 77 on a 6 4 2 flop. We might say that this made hand has 75-80% equity assuming that our opponent (in a lot of circumstances) will have either a 5-out draw with one-pair or a 6-out draw with double over cards.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands