elimination bets

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I made up the term but ill give a definition and begin a debate about it.
Lets say you have pocket aces and there are 2 club cards and a heart on the table and your assuming your opponent has 2 more clubs. Would you bet big to eliminate the chance of the opponent staying in and acquiring the 5th club.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok I made up the term but ill give a definition and begin a debate about it.
Lets say you have pocket aces and there are 2 club cards and a heart on the table and your assuming your opponent has 2 more clubs. Would you bet big to eliminate the chance of the opponent staying in and acquiring the 5th club.
Why would you want opponent to fold if you're in the lead? Don't you want to accumulate more chips from your opponent?

Also, why do you assume opponent has a flush draw just because there are of the same suit on the board? It's definitely in their range of possible hands, but its impossible to narrow it down to that specific of a hand just based on preflop action and the flop. Just because 2 suits hit the flop doesn't automatically mean your opponent has a flush draw, especially heads up. If you think and bet that way, especially large bets to force worse hands to fold, you're losing out on a ton of value with your big hands.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's called lead bet or donk bet and it's kinda fishy move , you can do it though for protecting purposes :D

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both players made excellent observations. You are making the assumption that your opponent is on a single card draw, and depending on the pot odds will go for it. Trying to make the most chips from the top hand is always a great strategy, but losing the same can be devastating. You would need to review the action of the first bet, assuming he called a min of 3x, and from that consider that any suited except high suited would fold. If you are satisfied with the current pot size and you have enough to match the pot, you would take away his odds, I believe, and maybe pull in the pot. I guess it really depends on where you want your chip count to end up after either play.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More times than not if I flop top par I'll throw out a big bet to keep them chasing down with over cards. It's better to win a small pot than to lose a big one.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT these bets make sense bet big. In cash games they are super stupid (no hate just saying).

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pushing people off a draw.

I think the more likely scenarios are, what to do if you have trips and there are 3 to a flush or 3 to a straight on the board. Do you blow it off and play normal, or do you bet to push people off their drawing hands? In these situations, if you don't at least attempt to push them off their draws then you only have yourself (and not the poker site) to blame when they do catch that 4th flush or straight card.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I do an overbet to protect my hand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the more likely scenarios are, what to do if you have trips and there are 3 to a flush or 3 to a straight on the board. Do you blow it off and play normal, or do you bet to push people off their drawing hands? In these situations, if you don't at least attempt to push them off their draws then you only have yourself (and not the poker site) to blame when they do catch that 4th flush or straight card.
Definitely playing my big hands for value and not trying to bet them off of their draws here.

In the case they flopped a straight/flush, I still have re-draws to hit a boat/quads on the turn and river. Or if they turn a straight/flush, I still have outs to hit on the river.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why knowing odds is a must if you want to be serious about playing poker. If the other player has a flush draw, that means they have about 35% chance of hitting it on the turn or on the river. Let's say it's close enough to 1/3 of the times. If you make a pot-size bet on the flop, you're giving them the pot odds to be indifferent between calling and folding if they assume you're not doing that again on the turn (or if you went all in). If you are planing on betting again on the turn, 1/3 of the pot on each street should be enough to make the other player indifferent.

Everytime you make them pay more than they should to see a card, you're making a profit in the long run. Everytime you let them see a card for less than they should, they are making a profit in the long run. I tend to bet slightly above the correct amount to make a small profit over them, since most players won't be able to calculate precisely how much they should be paying.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to bet high enough that they dont have pot odds in their favor to call me . Always try to keep the numbers in your favor .