Double Barreling in Poker

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's talk about double barreling this week. A double barrel is a bluff or semi-bluff that occurs after the turn and after you made a continuation bet on the flop.

Can you pull the trigger when you need to - and do you know when it is not a good spot for it?

Read this article and let's discuss it:

Double Barreling

I choose these spots very very carefully. I need a good read on my opponent to follow through with a double barrel - because I am so picky it works a lot for me - but I likely miss opportunities at the same time.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think, I do it maybe much too often this double barreling and it is sometimes a mistake to do so. Also that I use the C-Bet too often. I think, it is often my mistake, that I play preflop aggressive and try to continue afterwards the same. Meanwhile I try to learn to check more often and see how the opponent reacts on the flop and on the turn. Also more in thought about to let the opponent bet and put more chips into the pot.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think to go for a double barreling, you need to see on the board. If there are a lot of dro in the board, then it's better not to bet. If the board is dry, then you need to bet. Of course, in a position. :confused:

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can aggree that most people overuse it. If C-bet on the flop can be a prob/value bet/block bet on the turn I see most people just bluff away too much. The pyschological idea the "if i put in the money pre- and on the А so i must C-bet turn" is just such a huge leak. Though it's interesting as creators of that poekr bot... Liberatus I think said that they belive "Turn play is the strongest part of the computer" so it can tell you that even pros often screw-up turn plays.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It is a great article, provided by CC!This is the key for positive outcome of our efforts to perform well in mtt's and sit'n goes!
Use it carefully! I prefer to have a blocker in my hand, thus reducing hugely the variance.
Very useful when you are ahead in chip stack :top:

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont often double barrel,usually i double barrel if i put my opponent on not so huge drew and blank hits turn,if i put him on pockat pair or Ax float,in some sitations if im preflop aggresor and somone defends later position and calls cbet and when A or K hit the turn its good card to dobule barrel etc..

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like double barreling only if i put the opponent on air and that he's kind of sticky to the flop after my cbet and not folding. if he has something like second pair, it doesn't really work, and you really need a tripple barrel and betting big. also, it is also good to have a blocker in your hand for the potential draws the board might have.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If im involdes with more then two players ,i usually wouldn't use a double barrell ,.Playing in league games is even harder to apply the technique as so many play so tight . if you know i player is weak it is prime to use it

Betmakers

Betmakers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me everything depends on the position in the hand + the number of players of course

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always make decisions about the second bet based on which opponent - if he is passive and knows how to fold, then I bet. If the opponent never gives in on bets and often goes to showdown, then I bet only when I have equity

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on the time you have playing at the table, the continuation bets with almost mandatory when making a RAISE / PREFLOP you have to know your rapporteur when choosing the size of your continuation bet and you also have to see the FLOP before measuring the size of your continuation bet, there is no perfect game but if you can avoid making a bad bet with wrong cards and the wrong player, I personally always give my time at a table to meet the players and study their game, I do not make decisions lightly with players I do not know

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Double barrelling is effective on suitable boards against advanced players that can see and think about something else besides their two cards and how they connected to board. Sometimes it can work against calling stations as well if your image became too tight at this table. But overall I would not recommend it in freerolls or a majority of micros tournaments as people are just not gonna fold their underpair. So pick your opponents wisely or you'll run of the chips pretty quick trying to use this trick.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double barrels are good against intermediate players. It's a waste of money against calling stations.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Delayed Double Barrel recommends against firing the second barrel on the turn if the opponent is a calling station. This is generally good advice.

But there are some opponents, common in microstakes, who have a lower than average Fold to C-bet, but an average or below average Went To Showdown.

These players will call c-bets with one overcard in their hand, with an underpair or second or third pair, with a gutshot draw, or with a plan to float you. But they'll fold to a second bet (or a re-raise) on the turn.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To decide on a second barrel in the form of a bluff or semi-bluff - it is extremely important to understand the style of your opponent's game. This does not work against some players. You will only worsen your situation if you bluff against the "telephone center".

One of the complexities of playing in big tournaments is that you almost always play against unfamiliar players. Their behavior is unpredictable.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you have built a solid image on your table you can profit highly from Double Barreling I like semi-bLuffs with high potential like 2 Big cards on a flush/starigt draw and I double barrel Turn and River to take down some pots.---------------------------------------------------------------

You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.

Zig Ziglar

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it useless (flop-turn). Opponent will see it on the river. It is confusing: what to do on the river? Maybe against tight player it's fine.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking in the Zoom format - what I'm most familar with - cbets tend to be called with a wide range of hands. Everything from bottom pair, to draws, to overcards. Double barreling is essential to punish those drawing that miss the turn, or for those holding overcards that miss. The key against unknowns is that your story has to make sense. On a 7 high board that you raised pre, double barreling when the turn is an 8 usually doesn't pay off. Your story has to jive with the board or it usually gets met with a check raise or aggression that unless you have a hand...is tough to call.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Double barrelling is pretty common in online game. Position and type of opponent is critical to success. We try to represent a crediable story but sometimes though a bad card for opponent is all it takes. Should not try when you are very active at table as it is easily picked off or exploitated.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to double barrel often, but online poker players have improved. I have to choose more wisely and less often.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the article but I have a question.

How many BBs should we have when we double barrel?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes it is a common situation and a strategy I follow many times. It has profits many times but it also can reduce my stack and send me back! It needs intuition to find when is the right hand to do it. It depends too much from the opponents we have each time and the kind of play they have.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm doing this, maybe too rarely.I prefer to have a blocker in hand and a large stack when I do it.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'm not a player to play a lot of double barrels, I try to play hands connected to the flop, and play decene and premiun hands ... doing a lot of bluff does not bring anything good because you will not always win, there will be an opponent with a better hand, and the best is to play safe, I do not have much to say about this topic because I'm not a player who plays with a lot of bluff, but occasionally you can do the same if you are leader in chips

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I do not have made a lot of successful double barrel.I try to avoid bluffing but it saved me a couple of times.