Don't Call big bets from Good Players!

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this is by far my biggest leak. Calling a big bet on the Turn or River because I have something and don't believe they got there. I don't know why I keep doing it, but I just did it in another tournament... sigh....

Just don't do it! Maybe 3-4 handed you mix it up more, but not 8-10 handed. They might be too nitty, but Good players generally aren't bluff-aholic like the Rec players you want to take money off of!

F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post the hand for analysis if you don't mind.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a good way of stripping them down or I would.... I need to sit down and figure that out, maybe tonight will lend itself to me doing that depending on how the tourney line up goes.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What motivates you the most to call?

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would ask why you think they don't have the nuts or the big whatever they do. Do you read them having a great hand but choose to play out of frustration or hoping to get a card?

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this is by far my biggest leak. Calling a big bet on the Turn or River because I have something and don't believe they got there. I don't know why I keep doing it, but I just did it in another tournament... sigh....

Just don't do it! Maybe 3-4 handed you mix it up more, but not 8-10 handed. They might be too nitty, but Good players generally aren't bluff-aholic like the Rec players you want to take money off of!

Always ask yourself why call!

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you not sure about your hand than better fold than loose all your stack there will be other hand where you can get profit...

lois505

lois505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree about that, some pepoles raise big really means they have something is biggest, we need fold will safe more, most of time i always lost at i dont belive they have , then i just lost

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I learned this I became a much better player. Sometimes they have it... Or get there no matter how improbably. Learn to trust yourself when you think you are beat. In doing so I have been shown bluffs and been ridiculed at the table. When this happens I just smile knowing I'm still a good player and will find a better spot. Remember, only bad players never get bluffed.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think makes you so tempted to call?

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly think it's related to how I play that makes me call. I'm pretty decent at bluffing people off of hands at times, so I think that's where I get into bad situations I start to assume the other guy is making plays I would make. Especially if I've been running good, then it really starts to make sense that the other guy would play back at me with very little.

Most of these hands I catch something in the middle I think might put me ahead, and the other guy just flips over more. i.e. I'll catch a Jack for top pair and the guy ends up flipping over trips. Not quite a cooler I think, but kind of close.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I don't know why I keep doing it, but I just did it in another tournament... sigh...."

So this is the big question. Why. I think this is something you are going to have to keep in mind in every hand. Just let your clock run down a little and take time to think. I believe if you do this it will help with one leak you have in your game, but it's only one thing. Keep letting us know what is happening so we can help. GL to you

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't fold two (even top) pairs on river in zoom where time to think is very short in addition. Often lose.

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is funny. I saw this thread, and laughed mentally saying "Typical fish/rookie mistake...". I've been playing my entire life. I wouldn't do that.

So I play mostly small and micro stakes tourneys ( MTT & SNG ). But when the bankroll allows I play a day or two at higher SNG's ...

So I'm sitting 5 handed at a 9 max regular. To my right is a very regular that I have well over 10k hands on.

I can tell you with 90% surety that if he puts out a 1.5BB to 2xBB bet preflop UTG, UTG+1, or UTG +2 he IS holding AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AQs.

I KNOW THIS!

So 5 hande 6BB's low stacked he makes a simple 1.5 BB raise from the button. I'm holding broadway.

Flop KQQ. I'm thinking "DOUBLE UP!!!". He checks, I check.
Turn A, River A.

Wow, ugly board. "Is he holding AQ suited? Yeah, I bet he is. If he bets, I fold."
So he bets half my stack....
I call!!!
Did I just do that?
Yup AQ suited. I even knew it would be hearts!

But I came back with some coin flips to beat him but out and take 2nd...

I guess deep inside we all have a little fishy that loves to play like a fish.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just let your clock run down a little and take time to think.

I agree. Our minds work in mysterious ways. Even a split second more contemplation can lead to a breakthrough. For me, patience has been a valuable asset in poker. If I fold in an uncertain situation, then I may save myself some chips for when I have a better, more certain opportunity to get them in.

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did the same thing today in a free roll. Had A3 and folded to me I raised and buddy re raised me big time and I thought he had crap. Pocket J's. Right in the feels

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a read this antiquated poker strategy book (it was from the 50s or something) and it said that many players who would otherwise be beating the game are defeated by suspecting that everyone is bluffing

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did it once on a final table when i was very new to the game...

6 players left the button was raising my BB every pass... I got 84 suited and hit bottom pair on a rainbow flop of 89J... i bet he called... turn was an ACE... i bet he raised i shoved... He had A8 and called...

Awful play by me but I learned a lot from that hand...

And the reason I shoved was because I just didn't believe he had anything and I was tilting from his constant blind steals...

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its case to case basis. There are also bad players who overbet with good hands.

I think the crucial point here is to analyze the sequence and look for reasons why his overbet is justified.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you have good cards, or a good combination appears you must put a biggger bet! This way you will rise your money!

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lose the last tournament against a big bet from a good player, i got top pair (Q) and decent kicker (K), and at the river, he made a big bet and i payed, he got 2 pairs.

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its case to case basis. There are also bad players who overbet with good hands.

I think the crucial point here is to analyze the sequence and look for reasons why his overbet is justified.

I think this is why I qualified the "Good Players" here. you should be able to tell in two rounds what's going on.

I think this also exacerbates my problem because after I fold to bets 2-3 times I feel they start to feel they can exploit it. Then I start playing back sub-optimally.

It's kind of the mind games.

But yes, knowing that A high can be good against a bluffy player having fun is definitely something you should keep in the tank.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are also bad players who overbet with good hands.

Good point. Against erratic loose players, it helps me to remember all of the would-be winning hands that I fold pre-flop and the fact that this type of player may be playing those types of hands, thus making those random monsters.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Our minds work in mysterious ways. Even a split second more contemplation can lead to a breakthrough. For me, patience has been a valuable asset in poker. If I fold in an uncertain situation, then I may save myself some chips for when I have a better, more certain opportunity to get them in.

Thanks for that, because I remember about 1 1/2 years ago when I would not think at all. I had no patience for players who run the clock down. There is so much to learn, and at times, that don't work either. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Today I can say I've folded some hands that I hated to, but they were losers with out doubt. It's really hard to say fold and save the chips for that next hand that might trip you up, instead of getting knocked out. But It's Learned Behavior.

N

nickisgeek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same weakness. The most typical situation, when aggresive player, that was raising almost every hand, was pissing me off. And at last i got smth like AQ, and decided to limp (not raise) in order to not scare him. But what do you think? He had AK, and bitted me. That being said, try to stay foccused all the time, and do not conduct on raise-provocations.