Do you know when to stop playing?

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, stop playing for a moment: to calm down and "get out of luck" on the computer / cell phone.
In my opinion, for some it is very difficult to know when to stop, I say because this is one of my negative points. And I think it is essential that the player knows and puts in practice a moment of "stress". If you can give a tip and / or tell your positive and negative experiences in that context, thank you

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, stop playing for a moment: to calm down and "get out of luck" on the computer / cell phone.
In my opinion, for some it is very difficult to know when to stop, I say because this is one of my negative points. And I think it is essential that the player knows and puts in practice a moment of "stress". If you can give a tip and / or tell your positive and negative experiences in that context, thank you

What a good question. And my answer would be: .......... NO:). And if in fact this is my problem. I start to accelerate even more and lose in the process. But this has another plus. having lost everything, I just have no choice and I start to take a break from the game:bawling:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should quit when you dont feel like playing or when you dont feel you have an edge.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is actually one of my weaknesses wich usually leads to breaking the bankrol management rule, but im hopefull one day i will overcome it.

E

EvoSlike

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Hi xexeu :)
My method for avoiding to play continuously after a bad hand or stopping me playing feeling stressed is this:
I said to myself that I have to write every single game that I want to play in the notebook before that game starts. (I have to write the name of the platform where the game is held, date, time, what is the buy-in (or not, if it is a freeroll). After I finish that game (for whatever reason) I have to write down the hand with which the game ended (mine and opponents), what was the time when the game ended, how many players left and my rank in the game (if it was the tournament) and sometimes some observations and reminders for future games.
It is not as complicated as it maybe look. And it is very effective for me , to stop me from headlessly run into games without good composure, patience and feeling relaxed.
If I have no patience to write down those simple facts, than I should not play the game at that moment. So I don't.
This is a simple principle that I follow, and so far, it saved me from "going down the drain"
(And yes, I noted every single game that I ever played :) )
Cheers! :)

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your eyes can no longer see what cards your holding, Its time for bed:argh:

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In most cases, I can't stop at the time. When I succeed, I am very happy with myself. I have a lot of stress in my life, so it's hard for me to control myself. This is especially noticeable recently, because for me it is an important aspect of life. Thank you for this useful topic.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned that Pro poker players also take a break sometimes when they suffer bad beats and not playing well. Now it is easier for me to do the same thing and use my time away from the table to study and get better.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always play as much time as I want to play. I usually play 3-5 hours a day, no more. Sometimes, but rarely, I can take a break for a few days.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a normal bankroll,but I lost it in a week...I couldn't stop,even though I knew I had to hit the brakes...I moved away from buy-ins and play freerolls...Here's a reinterpretation...

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all learn by our mistakes. The most important thing is not to make that mistake again. I lost couple of bankrolls just by overextending my sessions. Like playing 5 hours straight without breaks just to breakeven. This is the surest way to go broke. Now I set up an alarm on my desktop which automatically pops up and I click sit out next BB automatically wether I am winning or losing. Now I care less about winnings and concentrate on focusing, paying attention to other players and to play a quality game. Believe me this pays off.

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some sites, like cheat on Lies, will take your money back if you win to much. At sit and gos esp. don't listen to the entrepreneurs who talk about "variance" and "gettin it in good." they get paid to steer people to the outfits that don't do it fairly, imo. Why don't they post their "went to show down" stats each week?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For new cash game players its a good idea to set a predefined stop-loss measured in big blinds, which should typically be something like 300BB. The reason is, that after getting felted 3 times, most people will start to tilt at least a little bit, and if nothing else its no longer an enjoyable session. Its usually more about being annoyed and "trying to get unstuck".

And a stop-loss needs to be followed strictly. Once its triggered, you click "sit out on next big blind" on all your tables and end the session. No discusssion or questions or "just a few more orbits, because this is a really good table". You are done for the day, and you are not allowed to play again until the next day.

For tournament players its a bit more difficult, and I have never used a stop-loss system myself. But it could reasonably be something like stop adding more tournaments, if you have already spend 10% of your bankroll. If you then cash in one or more of those, that are still running, you are allowed to continue, but if not you are again done for the day.

F

Flo199992

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me its difficult to take a break, when im unlucky and know, that i play good poker.
but then it often happens, that i become tilt and loose more money on bad playing. i think its not easy to accept those unluck sometimes, so i have to learn to close the poker site before tilting... im working on it

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I close i don't play much when i run badly. GL

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, stopping on time is the most important thing. And for me, just like you, and I think that for many, this is the main problem. And I often lose everything to zero, simply because I didn't stop in time. I think you need to work out an obligatory rule for yourself, in what situations you need, by all means, to take and postpone the game for several hours or even days. And strictly follow it. And then it will be less expensive and less expensive!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me I can stop whenever I want, Usually I will set an amount of cash I am willing to lose from my bankroll and if I reach that limit, I will shut my Poker site down and take a break, sometimes as long as a day or two before I get back into it, Seriously!
Poker has to be fun, and if I am not enjoying my sessions at the tables, I will quit regardless of how much I am up or down, I did hit the tables really heavy during the first lock-down, because I set myself a target of doubling my bankroll before Christmas. which I did quite easily, but you have to have some kind of driving force to be able to play as much as I did.
Likewise when I was playing Live I was determined to make the top 4 places in the league so that I would qualify for the Regional Final's played in Manchester, and then hopefully make the top ten places in that tournament to qualify for the National Final.
Playing on-line honed my game play so I was ready for the weekly league game, although playing "Live" was different than playing On-line, but you can adapt to the differences, and overcome them.
I got so good in League games, I qualified for the Regional Finals regularly and once bet someone that I would finish in 1st place adding a trophy to my collection, which I did twice in two consecutive season's.
Poker is fun and you have to control your bankroll in order for the fun to continue, There is no fun losing money hand over fist, it just becomes an exspensive hobby, I can honestly say On-line Poker has never cost me a penny, as I have never made a deposit, and I know when to Stop!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When my nose touches the keyboard, I stop playing.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
we will stop . then retire.
maybe after retirement we will also play

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i enjoy playing, so as long as i am having fun, i keep playing. Once it is not enjoyable i stop for a while.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm swinging the game,
I'm not swinging the game.
That's when I felt that way.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stop

When I lose to players going all in with nothing and it happens 7 times in a row I take a week off.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i do know . but i dont do it :D lol . unfortunately

you should stop when you are tired , when you are tilted , when you are on a losing streak , when you are hungry