Do I call all in for my stack with AQ?

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am never sure whether I should call an all in shove with AQ. I mean people shove with so much garbage I feel like I should but last night I went for it against the big stack and of course he had AK. Should I do it every other time or 1 out of 3, or never. I don't know. Do you call off your stack with AQ? Had I won I would have been in first place in the tournament. I always go for 1st place never to min cash.

daveman640

daveman640

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hi! I think AK, AQ and so aren't cards to risk all your stack preflop. You should play aggressively but not to risky.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am never sure whether I should call an all in shove with AQ. I mean people shove with so much garbage I feel like I should but last night I went for it against the big stack and of course he had AK. Should I do it every other time or 1 out of 3, or never. I don't know. Do you call off your stack with AQ? Had I won I would have been in first place in the tournament. I always go for 1st place never to min cash.

If the player has a history of shoving frequently, then I'd consider it, depending on how deep you are. Cash game? This player is probably shoving any two-suited cards or decent face cards. They could have pairs, too. The problem with people who shove frequently is you cannot really put them on a hand....they could have trash or AA.

If the player doesn't shove all that much, it's an easy fold.

Again, there are other things to consider. Are you short stacked at the moment? If so, then get it in. If not, then maybe not. Were you the first to raise pre-flop (i.e., the pre-flop aggressor)? If so, then that player *may* have QQ (although rare), KK, AA, or even AK. Were you simply calling a limp or a raise and someone shoves behind you?

It's always situational and a very hard question to answer. Most of the time, I'd give it some serious thought before committing my entire stack with AQ, especially if it's unsuited.

Early in a tournament, it's almost never worth putting your tourney life on the line. Late in a tourney and short-stacked, get those chips in with AQ. You'll need chips to continue, and you can't afford to wait for better cards.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call with AQ when you are confident that your hand is good. If you aren’t, don’t call.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a poorly written question. where is all the information like stack sizes, blinds, game type, etc?

here is the best answer i can give you based on what i've read: yes, you should 100% get your stack in with aqs suited, except for the times you should 100% fold aqs. otherwise, it depends.

does that help you?

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a poorly written question. where is all the information like stack sizes, blinds, game type, etc?

here is the best answer i can give you based on what i've read: yes, you should 100% get your stack in with aqs suited, except for the times you should 100% fold aqs. otherwise, it depends.

does that help you?

I'm going to disagree with this answer. Nothing in poker is 100% one way or the other, not even 7-2 offsuit.

I believe my post covers some of the bases that the original person did not include in his/her question. I'm sure my post isn't perfect, either.

Last edited:
C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

In those loose small mtts wer e people shove with 22, 47 off etc. I would guess you have to call with AQ specially suited. However if your opponents are tight. I would probably fold.
AQ looses to 22. Take into consideration if the loss eliminates you and how your opponent has ´played up till then.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ

Even though AQ is a solid starting hand it would not be one I would go all it with often. A lot depends where you are in the game or tourney meaning are you sitting on the bubble? is it a freeroll or cash game etc? Have seen too many "chase the Ace" players lose to small pairs like 77 as no Ace comes on the flop, turn or river.

GL :D

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Well, unless you are in the big blind with a short stack.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming this is a tournament question then it really depends if you should call it. Personally even though I will go with it from time to time, I hate the AQ hand because there are too many times a King comes somewhere, orto me its fools gold (similar to JJ now that I think about it). I particularly hate it preflop as well but if its later in the tournament or if I am low on chips, then I will ship unless there are multiple callers beforehand.

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the player has a history of shoving frequently, then I'd consider it, depending on how deep you are. Cash game? This player is probably shoving any two-suited cards or decent face cards. They could have pairs, too. The problem with people who shove frequently is you cannot really put them on a hand....they could have trash or AA.

Again, there are other things to consider. Are you short stacked at the moment? If so, then get it in. If not, then maybe not. Were you the first to raise pre-flop (i.e., the pre-flop aggressor)? If so, then that player *may* have QQ (although rare), KK, AA, or even AK. Were you simply calling a limp or a raise and someone shoves behind you?

It's always situational and a very hard question to answer. Most of the time, I'd give it some serious thought before committing my entire stack with AQ, especially if it's unsuited.

Early in a tournament, it's almost never worth putting your tourney life on the line. Late in a tourney and short-stacked, get those chips in with AQ. You'll need chips to continue, and you can't afford to wait for better cards.

Late deep stack vs deep stack. I was going for the glory.

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

does that help you?

Tourney, deep stack vs deep stack, final 15. I was like F it I want to win.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This friend have said all.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to disagree with this answer. Nothing in poker is 100% one way or the other, not even 7-2 offsuit.

I believe my post covers some of the bases that the original person did not include in his/her question. I'm sure my post isn't perfect, either.
i think you missed the sarcasm in giving a very general answer to a very general question that lacks information.

there are definite situations where this is a 100% call or a 100% fold. but it mainly depends on the information that op is lacking in their initial post.

to say that nothing in poker is ever 100% one way or the other is incorrect. there are definite situations where it is either or.

if you have aa in the big blind and its folded to the sb that jams 150 bbs on the first hand of a $10 mtt, this is a 100% call, 100% never fold situation.

your post is good because you cover a lot of 'if' situations but you can't give a solid answer without enough information. it's just not possible.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you missed the sarcasm in giving a very general answer to a very general question that lacks information.

there are definite situations where this is a 100% call or a 100% fold. but it mainly depends on the information that op is lacking in their initial post.

to say that nothing in poker is ever 100% one way or the other is incorrect. there are definite situations where it is either or.

if you have aa in the big blind and its folded to the sb that jams 150 bbs on the first hand of a $10 mtt, this is a 100% call, 100% never fold situation.

your post is good because you cover a lot of 'if' situations but you can't give a solid answer without enough information. it's just not possible.

Poker is a game of incomplete information. Only if you had all the information would a 100% situation come up.

I see your point, but I respectfully disagree.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information. Only if you had all the information would a 100% situation come up.

I see your point, but I respectfully disagree.
yes, i agree. poker is a game of incomplete information but there are situations where you don't need all the information to make 100% accurate decisions.

but, if you disagree, i can't change that. i respect your choices.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, i agree. poker is a game of incomplete information but there are situations where you don't need all the information to make 100% accurate decisions.

but, if you disagree, i can't change that. i, too, respect your decisions.

If I understand this right, you're saying I should play 66 with everyone in the pot, costing me 50bb's, a chance to win a total of maybe 56-62bb's? 66 does not play well vs. multiple opponents...neither does AA, for that matter.

I'd probably fold here, unless I had a very, very strong feeling that everyone at the table was playing trash.

Love the discussion!

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well in my Case just now it wasn´t good to call with AQo but ye depends on the situation your position, stack size and the information you have on your opponents

leoronin

leoronin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its all luck i call with A/Q and will win and some times i call with A/A and lose to two pair its all on how ya feel is luck on your side and you have been doing good or are you have a bad day losing either way the flops,turn and river will always decide

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I understand this right, you're saying I should play 66 with everyone in the pot, costing me 50bb's, a chance to win a total of maybe 56-62bb's? 66 does not play well vs. multiple opponents...neither does AA, for that matter.

I'd probably fold here, unless I had a very, very strong feeling that everyone at the table was playing trash.

Love the discussion!
my apologies, i edited that part out because i didn't think it was necessary to include in the point i was trying to make. i'll add it in for others that are reading this.

it's the final table.

bb: 50 bbs (you)
utg: 100 bbs
all other players have 2 bbs.

utg shoves for 100 bbs, everyone before you calls, and you have 66.

in this scenario, this is a clear fold. why? because 66 is going to be a close equity spot preflop against utg's range. you're not concerned about the other 7 players with 2 bbs as they can't bust you from the game, only utg can. you also have 2nd placed locked up. you don't want to risk busting out of a spot that you're virtually guaranteed to finish in in a close equity spot. even if villain has 78o and you have a slight equity edge preflop, you still lose ~50% of the time and risking the chance you getting knocked before 2nd place, when you have it locked is devastating to your roi%.

do you need to know utg's shove range to make make this fold? do you need to know if utg is going to jamming 10% range or 100% range here? do you need to know if utg has made plays like this before? what hands they went to showdown with? no. that information is irrelevant. you should never be calling here in a marginal equity spot that's going to potentially risk you busting out of a seat you have locked down.

what about aces? well, you mentioned that they don't play well against multiple opponents, but are you really concerned about aces's preflop equity going down against 7 players with 2 bbs? of course not. your only concern is how does aces play against utg's range? and it's a lot better. now you have a huge equity advantage over utg's jamming range, making this an easy and clear 100% call. again, you don't need 100% information to call here.

the point i'm trying to make is that, yes, information is important sometimes. there is no denying that. if you're at the river with the 2nd nuts facing a huge overbet and you're trying to figure out if villain is overbetting with the nuts or making a play with worse, yeah, dig into that information bank of yours. but there are times where you don't need all information to make a clear decisions.

going back to the original post, op didn't give enough information and i made a sarcastic comment about this spot being a 100% call or 100% fold or it depends because, no matter what op says, it's going to fall in one of these answers.