Discussion of probability theory

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I'm here want to link me a good guide/link/pdf to understanding nash equilibrium?

I've heard it tossed around ALOT

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I'm here want to link me a good guide/link/pdf to understanding nash equilibrium?

I've heard it tossed around ALOT

I've never heard of nash equilibrium, Dwarf. I'm looking at it now on wikipedia. Before I comment, let's remember that "game theory" covers a lot of things beyond just probability theory and poker. Why don't you read that entry too and tell me what you think?

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like if everyone plays "Nash Equilibrium Poker" the game is reduced to luck.

Also I dont think its possible, but I've seen alot of people talk about approaching nash as a play style.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a good thread going on here on strategy, about probability theory and application to calculating odds. It started off with a new CC member wanting info on a hypothetical problem. If you're good at math/probability, or think you are, or want to learn something, come check it out:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/how-calculate-odds-a-multi-card-311611/

Thank you. I have contributed a direct solution to the problem using the simple probability ratio of number of desired outcomes divided by the total possible outcomes, if you are still curious. Not as simple and elegant as the original solution submitted by Rhombus, I think, but still interesting. (IMHO)

Last edited:
Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. I have contributed a direct solution to the problem using the simple probability ratio of number of desired outcomes divided by the total possible outcomes, if you are still curious. Not as simple and elegant as the original solution submitted by Rhombus, I think, but still interesting. (IMHO)

Thanks for the input, FirstCrack. I'll definitely look at. Maybe not tonight, I'm not in the math mood but I will very soon. Maybe we'll educate the OP in the other thread a little bit, as well as anyone else interested.