def. know when to call it quits

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
was playing a cash game, doubled up twice..and was ready to leave when i got K J and there was a small raise...just double the blind and i was BB so i said to myself..ok last hand i'll see the flop. Flop was K J 3. He went all in...i knew he either had A K, or K 3..if he had pocket Kings the raise should have been bigger so i called. Sure enough, it was K 3 and i'm like..awesome i got another double up. But as donk luck goes, he hit the other 3 on the river. now i'm left with only 3 bucks in my account : (

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have no way to anticipate when this is gonna happen, and if he'd hit any of the 41 cards in the deck that weren't outs you'd be home free, which means the next dozen or so times you play that spot you will win it every time, and if you leave beforehand you'll miss out on all that money.

so basically if you're playing well and running hot and have a good image, keep playing. Don't quit while you're ahead; you'll be leaving money on the table.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea how you can narrow his range down to just AK or K3. Mind explaining?

shakey1985

shakey1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were like 90/10 favorite and you called. Good work :)

Though, I'm currently studying hand reading and I'm definitely curious how you managed to narrow his range to two hands? What was the preflop/flop action that led you to such a specific conclusion?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You were like 90/10 favorite and you called. Good work :)

Though, I'm currently studying hand reading and I'm definitely curious how you managed to narrow his range to two hands? What was the preflop/flop action that led you to such a specific conclusion?

LOL, apparently it was a min-raise from [unknown position] by a player with [unknown stack-size] and they saw a flop with [unknown about of players] and there was [unknown action] then the min-raiser shoved!

Yeah, I am trying to find a set of values that fits those unknowns and makes sense for narrowing a hand-range to exactly two hands. I'm having problems doing it as well. I'm wondering if OP can explain it fully.

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't quit while you're ahead; you'll be leaving money on the table.[/QUOTE said:
if you never leave ahead you either break even or lose everytime no way to make money.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you never leave ahead you either break even or lose everytime no way to make money.
No, you'll make money at your long-run average rate. Which over a large sample you will anyway, and your losing sessions will average out to offset your winning sessions.

You'll just play less hands. And worse, you'll play far more of your B game than your A game, as you'll quit early when you're running hot, and keep on trucking when you're tilted.

Remember, when you play poker what you're looking for is for your moves to have a positive expected value over the indefinite times you will repeat them, not for them to win you money now. And your long-run EV, if your play is solid, is gonna be slightly positive with usually huge upswings and downswings. The results of one hand or one session (or even one month) matter none.

S

short stacker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id say hed have two high cards or pocket somethings not king 3 unless you raised on top of his raise if you were in late position or on the button representing a monstor and he would have snap folded his king 3