"Deep" End of The MTT Pool

S

smallstakesdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My first time posting on this site, but figured this would be something that every newbie already knows but if not, here it is....

I am mostly a 1/2 NL cash player. I make more than I lose, but I make the rookie mistakes of not having enough patience, and playing too many hands when I don't stick to my strategy.

Anyway I won a high hand giveaway where you got a $500 buy-in into a deep stack, double bounty, re-entry. In other words, the most complex kind of tournament you probably will ever play.

It was my first MTT live. I have done MTT online, STG live, but never this. Not particularly overwhelming as I tried to just focus on my table, and keep abreast of the avg chip stack and players left.

Through the first 6 rounds, I kept pace with the avg stack, unfortunately I just so happened to have the two chip leaders of the tournament at my table behind me, and they played just as they should have with such large stacks, loose, aggressive, and got paid off with luck.

A few lessons I have learned from this experience:
  • The hardest part for me was the amount of time playing. After about four hours, I was ready to call it a day, even with all the folding I did (and I will admit I should have folded more).
  • The market that I live in (central NY), is a pretty small circle of folks. The tournament was fairly high stakes in terms of the area, and action you can get, so keep in mind that relative to what you see on TV. A $10K buy in Vegas stakes, actually might be smaller stakes than $500 re-buy in central NY.
  • I think if you are going to include tournaments into your play, at least go through 15/20 STGs live, just to get use to the structure, strategy, and endurance it's going to take.
  • Tournament play really exposes you to post-flop betting strategy. It's much more complex compared to cash, and as a tourney newbie, or even cash game novice, you will see how much more you have to learn.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure whatever you learn at tournaments stays in your tournament mind, and does not bleed over into your cash game strategy. As I told a friend, "a hand in a cash game is a poem. A hand in a tournament game is a page in a novel, usually longer, and builds on what has happened before"

Fortunately I learned these lessons with house money. I will be in no rush to do MTTs anytime soon, and unfortunately the market for STGs in my area just isn't really high.

Hope this helps everyone for those that are thinking about trying to take a dip in the MTT pool.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Do you only play live MTTs?

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, very clear and useful.
I'm a relative newby (only make money in freerolls:D).
So far I summarized what you described as a learning curve you need to take into account in Bank Roll Management.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't mattar what kind of game you prefer. The main important thing- to feel comfotnsble & to understsnd rules of this gme

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any preference mtt? turbo, regular, deep? online or live? glglgl

S

smallstakesdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry, but I have a follow-up question. Do you only play live MTTs?

I definitely do not. I as I said, I'm a cash game guy. The tournaments we have in our area, MTTs are usually early in the morning, and we really don't have a lot of STG action.

I do plan on trying to make a run at doing more MTT, but I need to get more into STG before I try to take MTT.

I won't be doing MTT unless I magically win a buyin.

S

smallstakesdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, very clear and useful.
I'm a relative newby (only make money in freerolls:D).
So far I summarized what you described as a learning curve you need to take into account in Bank Roll Management.

I won the buyin so it really had nothing to do with bankroll management, but that in itself is apart of the game regardless of tourney or cash game play.

S

smallstakesdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any preference mtt? turbo, regular, deep? online or live? glglgl

I don't have a choice between online or live, but I've done both, and I don't really have a preference, I can run with both.

I'm usually a big STG guy online, and I figure I am the same live.

I couldn't stand cash games, and generally was bad at it. But since that is all the action I can get at the times I play, I've gotten better at it. I'm still playing 1/2 as really its just something to make extra money for a baby on the way. I might try to manage my bankroll to get to 2/5, but I know skill wise I'm not ready for it/

A

andrewj50050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl bro maybe try more online poker formats. the bad thing about live is your travel expense/ accomdation, online we just need to worry about rake lol