Common mistakes

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 7 main mistakes that, in my opinion, lead to difficulties in the game, and therefore to large losses:

1. Obsession with protecting the blinds.
Many players are very zealous in defending their blinds. They let their ego decide for them. Others believe that by posting the blind, they have already invested a lot and do not want to waste this money just like that. Protecting the blind with weak cards is detrimental to your bankroll. If you show discipline and fold bad cards. First, you save your chips, and second, make the stealing blinds do it more often, but when you really have a good card, you can surprise them by luring them into a trap.

2. Few fold.
For example, you often limp into play and always call someone's raise after that. Or here's another case. There was a raise, you called, and after you there was another increase and you call again. Such a game will not lead to any good. If you have cards in your hand with which you certainly want to enter the drawing, you can do this by raising. Otherwise, just play a pass and wait for the card you want. Patience and discipline must always be present at the poker table along with aggression in order to achieve the required profit.

3. Almost on tilt.
We all know that there can be a situation at the table that will annoy you. This happens very often with aggressive and emotional players.

4. "Fancy Play Syndrome" or FPS.
A classic example of an FPS is a big loss in a hand where you had a monster on the flop, but with your wrong moves you gave your opponent an excellent chance to hit the nuts on later streets. This usually happens when you misjudge your opponent.

5. Playing small pairs from early position.
As soon as you see a small pair, you often overplay it, hoping to catch a set or even four of a kind. There are several problems with these pairs in early position. But how often will you collect the set? Most likely not so often, and even more so. However, if you are playing heads-up, then pocket pair is a good starting hand anyway.

6. Wrong table selecting and play without analyzing opponents.
Many of you have probably heard the phrase - "If in the first ten minutes of the game you could not determine who the fish is, then this fish is you!" I recommend that you study your opponents to assess their level and choose the most profitable game for you.

7. Failure to fold a losing hand.
For example, you flop two pair, but the flop is suited, and the turn comes another card of the same suit. The opponent, by his actions, makes it clear that he has a flash and is trying to get a lot of chips from you. What if the theoretical straight is closed on the turn? How many outs do you have on a full house? Is it worth paying a lot to try and catch him? Better to wait for a more reliable situation and win the pot.P.S. If someone can tell about mistakes or tips, complete the list. It is very interesting to know the opinions of other players.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice list of common mistakes. :)

I think another common mistake to add is "playing too many hands preflop" (although this is indirectly connected to your number 2 (few fold/limping) and number 5 points (playing too many small pairs in early position).

FPS "Fancy Play Syndrome" was the mistake I was guilty of when I first learned how to play poker. Specifically, I wouldn't value bet enough. It was too tempting to check and check-raise, or check all the down to showdown with a monster hand as a trap. Both of these plays have their place, but should not be your default.

Most is straight-forward. Make a hand and value bet it. (as for the check-raise problem it additionally cost me indirectly because I wouldn't be getting extra value from hands I was ahead of - only the hand that beat me would usually continue).

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

i think that the worst thing is not to identify and play fishes
you lose without knowing it despit the excelent hand you have
rgds

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something that I've seen/realized, not sure if its a common mistake. I feel like players can be too results oriented. If you get your chips in good and get a bad beat you still have to be happy with the way you played it. Forget you lost in such a way and focus solely on the play.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Overvaluing weak Aces is another mistake I used to make a lot. I would rather have a hand like T8s than A2-A5. What you will usually see is being at best a 60/40 favorite if you're ahead and the rest of the time you will only have one live card.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 7 main mistakes that, in my opinion, lead to difficulties in the game, and therefore to large losses:

1. Obsession with protecting the blinds.
Many players are very zealous in defending their blinds. They let their ego decide for them. Others believe that by posting the blind, they have already invested a lot and do not want to waste this money just like that. Protecting the blind with weak cards is detrimental to your bankroll. If you show discipline and fold bad cards. First, you save your chips, and second, make the stealing blinds do it more often, but when you really have a good card, you can surprise them by luring them into a trap.

2. Few fold.
For example, you often limp into play and always call someone's raise after that. Or here's another case. There was a raise, you called, and after you there was another increase and you call again. Such a game will not lead to any good. If you have cards in your hand with which you certainly want to enter the drawing, you can do this by raising. Otherwise, just play a pass and wait for the card you want. Patience and discipline must always be present at the poker table along with aggression in order to achieve the required profit.

3. Almost on tilt.
We all know that there can be a situation at the table that will annoy you. This happens very often with aggressive and emotional players.

4. "Fancy Play Syndrome" or FPS.
A classic example of an FPS is a big loss in a hand where you had a monster on the flop, but with your wrong moves you gave your opponent an excellent chance to hit the nuts on later streets. This usually happens when you misjudge your opponent.

5. Playing small pairs from early position.
As soon as you see a small pair, you often overplay it, hoping to catch a set or even four of a kind. There are several problems with these pairs in early position. But how often will you collect the set? Most likely not so often, and even more so. However, if you are playing heads-up, then pocket pair is a good starting hand anyway.

6. Wrong table selecting and play without analyzing opponents.
Many of you have probably heard the phrase - "If in the first ten minutes of the game you could not determine who the fish is, then this fish is you!" I recommend that you study your opponents to assess their level and choose the most profitable game for you.

7. Failure to fold a losing hand.
For example, you flop two pair, but the flop is suited, and the turn comes another card of the same suit. The opponent, by his actions, makes it clear that he has a flash and is trying to get a lot of chips from you. What if the theoretical straight is closed on the turn? How many outs do you have on a full house? Is it worth paying a lot to try and catch him? Better to wait for a more reliable situation and win the pot.P.S. If someone can tell about mistakes or tips, complete the list. It is very interesting to know the opinions of other players.

I tend to disagree alot of this list and agree with a decent portion as well --

I think players in general over fold -- they over fold to flop cbets, over fold to 3bets and they over fold their blinds when raised. I exploit the over folding tendency myself allllllll the time.

I would agree in the lower levels there are tons of limpy/cally players -- this is what makes the game profitable for the rest of us!

I also agree that most of the field probably doesnt deal with tilt very well -- its a VERY common issue.

FPS is just a term i consider "fabricated" to cover up for someone who doesnt have a deeper understanding of the game dynamics, board textures and ranging of villans -- bluffing is an art, it takes correct spots, correct boards and understanding of ranges to be successful consistently at it -- if you try to bluff a "fishy" player and they call you down with 3rd pair -- take the note and DO NOT bluff the fish. Makes life easy -- dont over bluff either, aggressive play is fine, but we dont need to take every single spot.

Lack of discipline is also a big one i agree with you on -- its another reason why good players make money at this game in two ways -- we make money when they call off light -- and we make money and when we make the correct folds, they dont stack us.

An over simplification of what i think the general player pool is doing wrong would be::

Playing too passively (limping - not 3betting enough - etc)
Over C-betting
Over Folding
Improper bet sizing
ICM unaware at final tables
Playing WAAAAAY too tight on the money bubble.
Bluffing too often -- with little to no understanding of what hands they are attempting to fold out and why they would. If you want to refer to it as FPS, i will accept it lol

In a nutshell, i think these are VERY common mistakes

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Under betting and over betting I think are probably some of the two most common mistakes people make.