Coin Flips

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often do you try to avoid flip and coin situations? And do you believe in your happiness when they happen?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I try to avoid these situations.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although you wont lose money in the long run to coin flips, you wont win any either. Additionally coinflips have high variance, which means you have to have a larger bankroll if you participate in flips. I try to limit bets on neutral odds to save them for more favorable positions.

The only time I will intentionally bet/call into flips is if I am early in the tournament and plan on rebuying. Tournaments rebuy stacks quickly lose value, so if your going to put yourself in the position to lose, do it towards the beginning.

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go for flips with those big pairs and AQ,AK type of hands when im short stacked 15bb etc, or against short stack when im deep with better part of range.Basicly in sng format you need a lot of flips in mtt avoid them if its not necessary

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play coin flips only in situations where I have a stack to keep playing calmly in case I lose. On the other hand, if I'm shortstack you can also play some coin flip since the odds I can get are better than if I keep waiting and losing blinds

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm at the lower end of stacks, i play coin flips as I think it's better than losing blinds and being bullied

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid coin flips early, I would rather flip late in the game for chip stack, and position! Getting involved early probably will get you sidelined.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do not mind coin flips if I do not know if I want to play for four hours and bubble. So maybe a half an hour to an hour in, I may be in two coin flips, to get me either into a good ITM position or to get my biscuits felted.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Ideally you would try to avoid them. But they are inevitable. You have to embrace them and understand that they are part of the game.

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always avoid a coin flip scenario, unless you're short stacked and card dead.

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day, it lands on its edge"

Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver 2

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't avoid coin flips, they are part of the game. If you constantly try to avoid them then you will miss a lot of good opportunities to win chips and put yourself in a good position to win tournament.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i think im in good situation i dont avoid flips,because at the end of the day to win money you need to be lucky and win some importmant flips too

Drewha

Drewha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a lot of factors for me. In a tournament it's important for me: at what stage I find myself, how far up to the prizes, whether I'm lucky with the cards, whether I'm ready for risk, what rivals are at the table?
In the cach I'm more interested in what situation I'm currently in. If I have downstreaк, I play tight; if I have a upstreak - I can take risks more often.
And yes, I hope for the best until the last card on the river. Although the results show that I'm not particularly lucky.

ingybingy

ingybingy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Coin flips especially in tournaments are pretty unavoidable. In essence, you really need to accumulate chips in order to lose a flip or two. Cash games in my opinion is not a big deal to have flips (since you can rebuy). In late-stage tournaments, there is nothing sicker than have QQ vs AK and having to flip for it.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apart from the bad habit of bingo players: allin with anything reasonable, anytime.
I've seen coin flips useful:
- quite early in freeroll/micro MTT's (example: you'll need to go all-in with any monster to prevent 3 or 4 people calling)
- when you are shortstacked
The above have the disadvantage that you're out if you loose, so be careful.
With a dominant stack, coin flips are the result of putting pressure on the opponent when they don't fold, statistically you'll be ok, because you can accept loosing due to the stack.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to get ahead in your hands to avoid fllips

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you try to avoid flip and coin situations? And do you believe in your happiness when they happen?

I dislike coin flip situations only because I lose more than I win, it is very hard to avoid it simply because situations happens like all-ins dictate the outcome of the tournament.

As a poker player, you have face coin flips to have a chance at winning the tournament.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to avoid coin flips. But sometimes you have to go for it. You have a big hand, low stack or the other guy is low, position, reading the players... Soon or later you got into a coin flip. Thats for sure. Examples of common coin flips: AKs vs QQ; AKo vs 99.