Coaching/training vs studying hand ranges, card percentages, pot odds and EV formulas

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are studying all of these concepts, how much more can coaching and training sites help?

I feel like some of these training sites might just tell you to study and memorize these concepts, numbers and formulas. Am I wrong? Is there more that coaching and training sites offer other than these concepts?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
implied odds, fold equity, reverse implied odds and how to change gears and
small ball to learn controlled aggression.
The sites show you the numbers but its up to you to learn to apply them in these infinitely varying situations

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
implied odds, fold equity, reverse implied odds and how to change gears and
small ball to learn controlled aggression.
The sites show you the numbers but its up to you to learn to apply them in these infinitely varying situations

Ok, I guess there are a lot more concepts to learn. I just wanted to make sure before shelling out money. I was thinking about going with the Run It Once Essential Plan for $25. Hopefully the cover most, if not, all of that in there.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, I guess there are a lot more concepts to learn. I just wanted to make sure before shelling out money. I was thinking about going with the Run It Once Essential Plan for $25. Hopefully the cover most, if not, all of that in there.
lol no I do not recommend using a specific training school. Theres a large variety of great videos out there that wont constrict you into a 1 way teaching 1 properway to play idealogy.
I recommend you start your training journey with Doug Polk on youtube, you do not need to apply for his school just watch the free videos.
Another Genius that really knows his stuff is James "splitsuit" Sweeney absolutely amazing, watch all his youtube videos!!
Than watch Andrew Neeme he does live cash games with analysis
than take that 25$ and buy 2 books. Phill hellmuths guide to limit holdem and end with Gus Hansens AUSSIE MILLIONS

James "splitsuit" Sweeney
https://www.youtube.com/user/PokerScenes andrew neeme
Doug Polk

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol no I do not recommend using a specific training school. Theres a large variety of great videos out there that wont constrict you into a 1 way teaching 1 properway to play idealogy.
I recommend you start your training journey with Doug Polk on youtube, you do not need to apply for his school just watch the free videos.
Another Genius that really knows his stuff is James "splitsuit" Sweeney absolutely amazing, watch all his youtube videos!!
Than watch Andrew Neeme he does live cash games with analysis
than take that 25$ and buy 2 books. Phill hellmuths guide to limit holdem and end with Gus Hansens AUSSIE MILLIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2HO0p9-6l4 James "splitsuit" Sweeney
https://www.youtube.com/user/PokerScenes andrew neeme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzOI1YS5TeU&t=1776s Doug Polk

Oh trust me, I've already watched hundreds on free videos on YouTube, I'm subscribed to Doug's channel on YouTube actually lol. In fact, I was originally thinking about paying for UpSwing Poker before I heard about RunItOnce. I think I've seen a couple Splitsuit videos as well. All great stuff. I will have to look up Andrew Neeme and watch his videos.

So you think I should continue watching free videos, articles and books instead of paying for a training site?

As far as books go, I'm halfway though "the Mental Game" by Jarred Tendler right now, then I'm gonna read "NLHE Theory and Practice" by David Sklansky and then part 2 of the Mental Game, and after that, I was thinking about ordering Jonathan Little's Small Stakes and Essential Poker Math. I will look for those 2 books on Amazon and add it to my list. Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

Edit: Yup, I'm also subscribed to Splitsuit's PokerBank on YouTube lol

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of it has too do with how well you understand and apply the concepts you are learning.

A coach may not necessarily teach you new concepts, but they will be able to show you how to properly apply the concepts and show you what they think your strengths and weaknesses are.

It is always helpful to get a different prospective of your game from someone knowledgeable, to pick up on things you may have missed or are improperly applying.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are studying all of these concepts, how much more can coaching and training sites help?

I feel like some of these training sites might just tell you to study and memorize these concepts, numbers and formulas. Am I wrong? Is there more that coaching and training sites offer other than these concepts?

best is the combination. hyou have to learn quite a lot but the coaching will give to the edge to the game.
If my grandma get a coaching it dienst make sense ;)

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh trust me, I've already watched hundreds on free videos on YouTube, I'm subscribed to Doug's channel on YouTube actually lol. In fact, I was originally thinking about paying for UpSwing Poker before I heard about RunItOnce. I think I've seen a couple Splitsuit videos as well. All great stuff. I will have to look up Andrew Neeme and watch his videos.

So you think I should continue watching free videos, articles and books instead of paying for a training site?

As far as books go, I'm halfway though "the Mental Game" by Jarred Tendler right now, then I'm gonna read "NLHE Theory and Practice" by David Sklansky and then part 2 of the Mental Game, and after that, I was thinking about ordering Jonathan Little's Small Stakes and Essential Poker Math. I will look for those 2 books on Amazon and add it to my list. Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

Edit: Yup, I'm also subscribed to Splitsuit's PokerBank on YouTube lol
yeah I wouldn;t pay for an online school . they'll just have you watching videos and doing cardshat quiz's.
David sklankys insight is awesome
a book in my target zone right now is this 2019 poker book
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Poker-Theory-unbeatable-principles/dp/1909457892

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of it has too do with how well you understand and apply the concepts you are learning.

A coach may not necessarily teach you new concepts, but they will be able to show you how to properly apply the concepts and show you what they think your strengths and weaknesses are.

It is always helpful to get a different prospective of your game from someone knowledgeable, to pick up on things you may have missed or are improperly applying.

This is exactly why I want training. I feel like I might not understand the concepts enough to apply them in game. The better I understand something, the easier it will be to remember and use on the felt. And I agree, an outside perspective helps tremendously.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I wouldn;t pay for an online school . they'll just have you watching videos and doing cardshat quiz's.
David sklankys insight is awesome
a book in my target zone right now is this 2019 poker book
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Poker-Theory-unbeatable-principles/dp/1909457892

I got you. I might do it just for a month or two just to see what they have to offer. I think I can cancel at any time if I'm not mistaken. I'm not gonna shell out a $100 or $1k for training, but I think $25 is reasonable. If all they have is what you said, then at least I'll know for sure that I'm not missing out on anything I can be learning. I will continue with the free videos on YouTube and articles and books as well.

Yeah, I heard a ton of good things about Sklansky and that book. I haven't heard of that book but it looks really interesting though.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best is the combination. hyou have to learn quite a lot but the coaching will give to the edge to the game.
If my grandma get a coaching it dienst make sense ;)

I think it will too. Even if I only do it for a month or two, I would at least like to see what they have to offer and see if I can benefit and expand from what they're teaching.

M

Mhead414

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Someone else who is definitely worth your time is Nathan "BlackRain79" Williams. Doug Polk has great tips but I found the free videos charts and guides from Blackrain more helpful. Also he only plays online poker and also is one of the most winningest online poker player all time and focuses on low limit especially microstakes. Alot of other guys are teaching or showing training videos of these high stakes huge bankrolls games and it's definitely a different game in low limit and micro. So depending on what your playing thats my advice to you hope it helps

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone else who is definitely worth your time is Nathan "BlackRain79" Williams. Doug Polk has great tips but I found the free videos charts and guides from Blackrain more helpful. Also he only plays online poker and also is one of the most winningest online poker player all time and focuses on low limit especially microstakes. Alot of other guys are teaching or showing training videos of these high stakes huge bankrolls games and it's definitely a different game in low limit and micro. So depending on what your playing thats my advice to you hope it helps

That's funny, I was just looking at his website and reading his articles yesterday. I was thinking about getting his "Crushing the Micros" ebook. I'm also subbed to Polk's YouTube channel, I've already watched a lot of his videos and read a bunch of articles at the UpSwing site.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands