Coaching

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I was seeing on the Internet that there are many people who are dedicated to doing poker coaching and I found it interesting. Obviously being a rookie it seems to me that I shouldn't get into this yet, but from what level do you think a player could start having a coach?

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a coach a few years ago as a part of a stacking and coaching deal, back then I was break even on 10NL before coaching and had a pretty decent math knowledge thanks to few this forum members who were active then. With a coach, my game changed drastically and only if I stick to it for a bit longer it could've turned to a successful story but I simply didn't have time to fulfill the volume goals with all the time spent on coaching so I dropped the deal.
My advice would be to try to beat 2NL and 5NL on your own, which is realistic and then take a coach. When you get the coach make sure to record the sessions with the coach, it will help you a lot to learn something that you might've overheard in real-time...

G

gazdagleszek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

Interesting question. You nead to learn the rules and you have to have skills to be en extra one and win championships but I am not sure how could teach somebody. Yeah use pokerface sunglasses, make false calls but in the game I do not know how it helps. I think the practice is the most important not the coach.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn all you can for free. Watch videos, read books, practice. So, when you don't know how to follow, take a coach. Keep in mind that if you want to take advantage of the money you pay, he should be able to show you things you won't find elsewhere.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I was seeing on the Internet that there are many people who are dedicated to doing poker coaching and I found it interesting. Obviously being a rookie it seems to me that I shouldn't get into this yet, but from what level do you think a player could start having a coach?

Thank U 4 Posting.

Coaching should come from the first moment you take poker seriously. If you want to make money at poker you should be coached.

The why of it is, we need someone else to look at our play and give us feedback.
Most of the success stories of poker players begin like this: I was struggling at X limits then met x person who was winning and x person worked with me.

Often it was a friendship not a coaching situation but their more highly skilled friends were actually coaching them.

Why from the very beginning?

Time.
Yes you can meander around finding ways to beat 2nl and 5nl and then hire a coach who has to undo your bad habits.. or you could quickly learn what to do from the beginning and learn to crush 2nl then 5nl and then keep moving up quickly enough to make a real difference in your bankroll.

There are small factors that good coaching can give to you immediately that it might take you 3 months of experimenting to figure out.

Example. Late stage poker tournament.

1k/ 2k blinds you raise to 2800.

Seems reasonable.

But a better raise would be to 2300.

Why, a coach could tell you in 1 minute of time.

How long would it take for you to figure out why by yourself?

5 minutes? 10? 10 times as much time to reason out why 2300 is better. If you even think by yourself, to say hey would 2300 be better than 2800 in this spot?

Can you do hand reviews now by yourself and understand when you mis-sized a bet on each street of a hand?

Can you recognize spots where if you checked you would get villain's stack vs betting large and same villain has to fold.

Do you by yourself ask why did I do "this" action and is it the best action? Or do you do like most do, find a reason that supports your action no matter that it was not the best action.

Can you by yourself right now now the difference between a good action and a great one?

That is what good coaching can do for you.

Hope this helps

:):)