Checking with pair of As

Nybala

Nybala

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch a lot of pro poker player that check in position with pair of As, as a trap, what do you think about this play?

UTG open 2.2bb
ME (Btn) reraise to 6.9bb with AKs
UTG calls

FLOP A 4 7
UTG check
ME cheks back

RIVER 8
UTG BET 12bb
I CALL

RIVER 8
UTG GO ALL IN
I call

He have JJ

What do you think about this play?

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it perfectly. Basically made UTG feel like you have 10s or smaller with the check back on the flop.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it right and got the right result.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I, too, would not believe in your As and fell would in trap. Well played !

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly what level is this? Micro stakes or big stakes poker or something in the middle. I think that the level you are playing at will make an impact on your decision.

And what have you observed about villain up to this point? Is it an aggressive or passive player? Loose or tight? Again, that should also influence your decision making - this will help you narrow down the possible range around what villain was playing with.

And what were the stack sizes for you and villain? When villain was jamming on river, how big was the actual bet? 20bb? 200bb?

Lastly, what suits were the cards? Was the flop a rainbow? Was there a flush draw on the board? If so, giving someone a free card is generally not a good idea.

I don’t know if this was actually well played. A lot of missing information to determine that. Good result though.

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is just a standard play to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with it and nor do I see anything special.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's how we all play, but sometimes it doesn't work, especially in online poker. It's a slow but sure trick

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Can't really say whether it was a good or bad play. As Nameless said above, there are so many factors you didn't mention that could've been taken in consideration there.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each to there own, I find if I slow play AA I loose. I always bet out 4BB now and slow play the flop if it is in my favor.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I slow play a hand like this but most of the time I shove in a bet. I'd rather win now than lose later.

V

Vida005

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously you had a fair read on UTG but I would have made bet after the flop to build the pot as I don't think he would be connected with the 4 7.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are lucky he was not holding pocket 4's or 7's. Nice win but i seldom risk an all in on 1 pair.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It looks like a very dry flop (but you should mention suits) so you are probably way ahead (unless he hit a set).

Checking back is often best here so you can give the villain a chance to either over-value his hand or bluff.

But as other has mention you should also write stack depth so we see how big the all-in is.

But calling two streets with normal bets is almost automatic since you lose to so few hands.

That is another advantage by checking a very dry flop with TPTK. In a vacuum it is often a 2 street hand in a 3-bet pot against one player. But if you see betting(or raising) on three streets you are often in trouble.

Nice pot-control and inducing (IF the river bet wasn't a colossal over-bet against a passive player).

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually do that with AKo. Well what do I know.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play the hand in the same way. But I would not be surprised by a straight or set.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
That was standard poker play.
But like some mentioned, in poker there are a lot of factors that make a big difference on the way you play every street.
It depends on the stakes, style of play of your opponent and your stack size vs your opponents stack, etc...
You could have lost to a flopped set or a any other pro ability.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to do that. Sometimes I do that when I hit a set on flop too.
I think you played well, but it depends on the suit of the community cards. Maybe if you flop 2 cards of the same suit, it would be worth betting to get UTG if he had 2 cards of the same suit.

V

vzmoney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well played

I think it was very well played my friend. Im no pro but prolly would have played it the same.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I’m probably checking back here too. They could have an A but you have top top so you beat most of their ranges. They aren’t gonna have very many sets after checking flop either( unless they’re being tricky like you were here.) All I know is that if they have trip 8s then I’m losing money here lmao.