Chasing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get tilted sometimes when i have a strong pair or 2 pair and somebody chases the flush or sraight only to hit on the river.
Whenever i try they never come in.

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River cards can be a source of agony, can confirm 10/10. Try and keep the pot size low if you suspect that they are going for a flush draw, or you can bet a lot to make their odds really low. I find the second method rarely works because people just call if they see 4 suited cards. I always try to keep the pot size low so I don't lose too much. The reverse is also true, so don't be afraid to try it against them. GL

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will you play agressive, if there's many odds to the vilain I will try ro raise much to expulse he of the hand, or win more if he pays me. When I am short I will try to control the pot, some times I will shove, like playing against I play with low stacks or next of the bubble.

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a larger stack then I would be very aggressive with the other player but if he/she is just a calling station no matter what size bet you put out there then I would try to make the pot as small as possible. because especially when you play online. those calling station players will eventually get you on the river and win that one big pot that makes you from in good shape to now back to where you started or worse.
Now if I have a average to small stack I would just go all in and let the cards play out. Hope this helps you out.

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to bet at least half the pot each time to make them pay to see cards. If I know the player plays tight I'll fold on a shove but I might call if the player likes to bluff. I love it when my set turns into a boat and the river card gives them the flush.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! On this website there are excellent odds calculator! It is necessary to make the majority of decisions on the basis of calculations! Yes sometimes, very rarely can be listen to his sixth sense, but only very rarely! of course there are times when you are haunted by failure, but this mathematics also explains dispersion!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just remember all the cases when they managed to collect a flush. You did not see any unsuccessful attempts because the opponents did not collect the flush and threw the card. Everyone in such cases is lucky in the same way. I in such situations raise 10bb and higher, in order to scare off the enemy.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is actually where the profit comes from. They chase in order to improve their hands and will pay any price to complete their hands. So if you noticed this particular situation then valuebet and that's it. And sometimes the villain will get his outs and complete a better hand)

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, to answer your question, yes I hate people who chase as well. The caveat is that I only hate them when they connect. I absolutely LOVE them when they miss *which they should, more often than not, depending on the situation.*

Let me show you something, though. This is a situation I saw broken down on a YouTube video, it opened my eyes quite a bit to chasing draws.

Say you have KdQd in the button and you raise. You get called from the BB. The flop is JhQh9d. You're ecstatic, right? Top pair, second best kicker is a nice flop. But wait, there is that terrible, terrible flush draw.
What do you do? You shove. You are terrified of this draw. Pictures of suited connectors invade your head and cause your stomach to knot. BOOM. Snapcall. Your opponent turns his cards face up. AhKh. You're worried, but ok. "Just don't draw out," you say to yourself. You just need to not have him hit an Ace.. or a King.. Or a Heart.. or a 10.. wait that's a lot of outs.What happens? Rivers a deuce of hearts and takes you for your stack.
In your head, you just got sucked out on. You are cursing this CHASER and his family and going home broke. This game is unfair and you finally get it in good but get dropped. The problem is, you are wrong.

In that case, your bet was bad. Not in any game theory way, yes bet Top Pair Great Kicker on a drawing board, that is correct. Your bet was bad statistically. YOUR HAND WAS BEHIND HIS ON THE FLOP. HE DID NOT SUCK YOU OUT. HE IS A STATISTICAL FAVORITE TO WIN THAT HAND. A made hand is not always better than a drawing hand. That is a huge thing that people either don't realize or just forget.

This is the case for every single connector combo that pairs on the flop. You are statistically behind to any straight flush draw.

8c9c vs 10d Jd on a 9d 7d 6c board. 8c9c is behind even though you have top pair and EVEN THOUGH ITS A GUTSHOT.

JdKd vs QhJh on a Kh 10h 6c board. JdKd is behind even though you have top pair and EVEN THOUGH YOUR KICKER IS ABOVE BOTH OF THEIR CARDS.

Granted, not every draw is better than every made hand. It's actually not many, but it still can be true, as in the case given above.

AK w a Royal draw is ahead of every pair in the game on a flop. It is even ahead of AA and KK. AND it is only about a coinflip against any 2-pair in the game. Thats wild isn't it?

Last edited:
B

BuckeyeDon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing that you're behind before the flop is half the battle. Sure AKo is an awesome hand to have, but it is behind any pocket pair. I just had a guy shove against my AKo and I mistakenly called. What did he have?

77s

Shame on me for chasing Aces and Kings. And even if I would have caught an A AND a K, he had me beat when he spiked his 7.

S

SeriousBizzness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chasing

i cant lie . this is one of my biggest problems. chasing. i only try to chase the nuts if given the oppertunity. but ive worked on my bad habbit of chasing every hand. i use to be sooooo bad with that. thinking that i can win every hand use to kill me every time.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i have two pair on the flop or the turn and i want to win the hand and know i cannot get away on the river i will over bet it significantly if an opponent is on a draw.

the alternative option is to bet less on every street, know when you are beat and muck on the river.

this is also a valid strategy depending on the situation.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the key is to not think about what you have, but what your hand could become based off what your opp. could have if he calls you. for exsample...

If you flop top 2 Pair lets say ATo on a Ad3cTd board, you your gonna bet pretty big if your playing a passive tight player, your gonna bet standard 1/2 3/4 pot agaisnt someone that is more agressive, basicly not giving them odds to call unless they have top pair, and slightly outside the odds to call with a less then nut flush draw. If they call you gotta assume they have some sort of draw or Top Pair.

Turn comes 4s you bet 1/2 the pot, they call. now its obvious they probably have a draw or top pair.

River Jd, now they just completed almost every draw on the board, and a higher 2pair. They fire out....

you cant call...

they check, you check down to see what they have and gather information so when facing this opponent again you know how they play...

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try betting aggressively with two pair just right before the flop, or even a strong pair. if you think theyre chasing flushes or straights, scare them off with big bets

L

laimisj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that feeling, it always seems that luck is not on your side, but you should always imagine why they are calling you. If you have 2 pair, and there is a straight of flush draw on the board you have to ask yourself why are they calling you. You have to bet more with 2 pairs and if they call, well, you have to be careful because it means they are close to hitting nuts or already have them.

Betmakers

Betmakers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A normal player will calculate the odds on the turn, and almost never support his bet to see the river, having an unfinished combination on his hands.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To protect your cards from players collecting combinations on the turn or river, it's best to make a big raise when the opponent refuses his plans.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea I feel the same way. I try to catch a draw and never catch. I just find in tournaments I play the best hands and win at some tables. once I get moved like 4 to 5 times then those best hands never hold up I find.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with IcyNicy, people chasing is where profit comes from. It is always unprofitable in the long run if you make to correct size bets taking away their odds. Make them pay to draw.

You have to always remember that a stopped clock is right 2x a day. These guys are going to hit flushes, gut shots, even 1 outters. Try not to tilt and keep playing your game.