Calling when you know your beat

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you call when you know your beat for information . At the tables people ask me why I do it or laugh at my play when I do it .

I think knowledge of your opponents is most important part of the game at the level I play. $1/2 $2/5 no limit or $5 to $20 MTT . So if I have a big chip stack and my opponent bets small I will quite often call even if I'm 90% sure he has me beat just to see what he's got when he's betting like this .I don't do it if I've got a good read on him if he's been at my table all day . I do if it's a new player or if it's a new play by a existing player . I find the info can be quite valuable in the future when he makes the same play . For instance if he does it on air or a week hand you can push him later . if he does it to just get a few chips on a monster you know it's ok to fold .

Any thoughts on this

P

pazzo1213

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend not to call when I know I'm beat. Those small pots add up and it's a negative EV play in the long run. I'd rather control the pot and pick spots as opposed to call off when I know I'm beat simply for info. Regardless that individual is able to switch up his play just as quick as you and what if he's altering his play to get thin value knowing that's potentially what your angle is.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I do but in a different set up. In a long Tournament when I am short on chips and I am left with minimum, then I will call even if I know I am lost. just wanted to end the suffering! :cool:

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this sometimes, when the opponents bet is so small, and I don't have a good read yet.
So basically just for informative purposes.
And the funny thing is, even if you think you're beat, you might get a nice surprise :)

C

Chaulko

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't typically when I'm certain I'm beat unless like you said, the bet is small and I can afford to look him up. I have however won a hand with high card 8 once by making a soft call to a river bet, just to look him up. Sometimes it pays off with chips, but you always get some info.

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did this sometimes at the beginning and its as simple as just not doing it anymore, just stop it.
There's a huge amount of information available at any table, once you start to listen to it your game will improve alot.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Totally fine by me. You will gather very useful information for the opponent. And you will be able to analyze better the same betting pattern in some future hands. Since poker is a game of incomplete information you can ''complete'' this info by paying a cheaply showdown. Let the others laugh and do whatever fits you right!

A problem may occur if you keep doing this when you are deep in the tournament and lose a big chunk of your stack :p

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally fine by me. You will gather very useful information for the opponent. And you will be able to analyze better the same betting pattern in some future hands. Since poker is a game of incomplete information you can ''complete'' this info by paying a cheaply showdown. Let the others laugh and do whatever fits you right!

A problem may occur if you keep doing this when you are deep in the tournament and lose a big chunk of your stack :p

I only do this when its an insignificant amount of chips related to my stack

K

kay1919kay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this alot to get a feel for the players sometimes it pays off others it back fires big time. However I am going to try not calling when I am beat for now on and play my game and see how that fairs.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I only do this when its an insignificant amount of chips related to my stack

Haha yeap I know I'm just kidding I put in the end the '' :p '' . So keep doing it in the early stages,I do it as well for the same reason! Best of luck sir!!

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The players tha give me the most trouble are fishy passive agressive ones that I try to semibluff or bluff but they call or raise in anticipation of me betting.
I dislike these players cause they don't add anything substantial preflop or flop and try to get all their money in at the river hoping to catch something. Rarely bluff and know I'm beat but they are so short stacked that I have to call

Gphillips15

Gphillips15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes if I've bin playing for to long maybe call it fatigue or something I dunno. But it always seems to get me. I try just stop playing and having a break but I never do lol.

S

sonebrate996

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has to be minimum. If it is, you are pro poker player :D

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you call when you know your beat for information . At the tables people ask me why I do it or laugh at my play when I do it .

I think knowledge of your opponents is most important part of the game at the level I play. $1/2 $2/5 no limit or $5 to $20 MTT . So if I have a big chip stack and my opponent bets small I will quite often call even if I'm 90% sure he has me beat just to see what he's got when he's betting like this .I don't do it if I've got a good read on him if he's been at my table all day . I do if it's a new player or if it's a new play by a existing player . I find the info can be quite valuable in the future when he makes the same play . For instance if he does it on air or a week hand you can push him later . if he does it to just get a few chips on a monster you know it's ok to fold .

Any thoughts on this
I find when a player bets small, they have hit the board but only have top pair no kicker, middle pair, bottom pair or even a draw and a re-raise into them will usually result in a fold.

It doesn't make sense to call a losing bet, especially in a cash game, even if you are fishing for information, there is no need to pay for it.
You can get all the information you need on your opponent just by simple observation.
If you do this in cash games regularly, stop it, you're wasting money and you don't have to.:)

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do call when I know I'm beat for information or to confirm that my read is correct. You do sometimes get a nice surprise a win when your opponent is value betting light or making a small bluff bet

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did this sometimes at the beginning and its as simple as just not doing it anymore, just stop it.
There's a huge amount of information available at any table, once you start to listen to it your game will improve alot.

I agree, usually you are at the same table enough to see a villain go to showdown with someone else. Even small bets are chips that I can put into a winning pot vs a losing pot.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call when I know I beat just out of stupidity. I know I should fold but I just can't.

Carlosypoker

Carlosypoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Studying opponents and psychology in poker is as important as strategy.

Each player must be studied under different conditions in order to make a decision based on his actions

steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. The information is very useful. I have at times called for value, almost certain I was beat... but won with Ace high, or a pair of 5's to my surprise. Makes me think twice when up against LAG's.

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this sometimes, when the opponents play so horrable))))

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes it is well worth it to call just for info - seeing someone's card will teach you a great deal!

Carlosypoker

Carlosypoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to make continuation, bluff and semi-bluff bets.

When there are passive players they can wait until the river without paying to complete their projects, it is better to throw them of the hand before they complete some project with weak letters or making slow play

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as well so when you're a little zippers wait shoving and prekluchvay if you win you very well back in the game if you do not win the other will play better