Calling all-ins pre-flop when your gut tells you your beat

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a 9 man sit-n-go today i had most chips 4000 and these two lower chips players one i know played really lose and figured i had him beat which i did. But the second caller was very tight have played him many times and know he had to have either QQ KK AA to call an all-in i had AKo and I told myself he has a big pocket pair most like KK's that is what i told myself. I was right he had KK's and beat me. He was than chip leader and i was taken down to 2000 chips. Do any of you struggle with calling when you got a big hand but know before you call that your beat, but still call. I have what i like to call entitlement tilt. I play really great get to be chip leader and because of my own self entitlement think i can't be beat and than lose all that i built up sometimes just before the bubble. anyone have any advice on how to deal with this kind of problem. It is my downfall every time i play. Don't seem to find much help because everyone else deals with bad beat tilt. Phil hellmuth has this problem. anyone have any advice please share it with me. thanks

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad beat, always!!!

see my first hand of the Rakeless tournament, bad bet where? Nothing surprises me anymore, it's my luck. either way
51172526_559600757871426_4339064708775542784_n.png

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go with your gut, its usually right.

Unless you are getting the correct odds in a certain hand, go with your reads.
Thats what seperates the good and great players. Looking down at strong hands but knowing it isn't good. The discipline is hard to master.

Obviously you can't always be right, but why go against your reads?

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd trust your gut in those situations. All-in's pre are going to be a flip regardless of your hand, sometimes your guts right and sometimes its not. In that situation you could've 2x'd or 3x'd if you are the one raising or just flat his raise rather then jamming as well. Take the time to think about all your options, even if your hand is strong it can lose.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to don't go all-in un the first good Hand.. so, just try to make a good call and see the flop if yours enemys let u do it of course

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is necessary to respect the raises of your opponent especially when you already had the time to analyze his style of play and his frequency of bet. on some spot better fold preflop and wait for a better opportunity to take his last chips.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your gut instinct is probably stronger than you think - it can help you sniff out a bluff and let you know when someone has the goods. It shouldn't override everything else to let you justify poor plays but you should factor it into the decision making process.

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion main reason of losing stacks is all-ins on preflop. when you have no other options, do that, but when u can wait to see the flop, better do that and your patience will be rewarded!
hf in games

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you know a lot before the flop,you can't do that

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When you open the first flop, then we decide to shove, and 10 percent intuition, good luck to all!

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Happens to me a lot! Had a pocket KK the flop k j 6 black . the guy bet the pot size . and i raised all in ... I knew the players as bluffer , but my gut told me stop dude he has a flush ... He called and he had 52 black . i lost...

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I've given allin to the final table with AA hand and lost it. Since then I have been able to throw an AA hand at the final table.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing is "gut feels", another if this was even a theoretically correct call. And chances are, it was probably not. When someone else has already called, you need a stronger hand to overcall. And depending on stacks sizes AK might not be quite good enough.

Moreover in a 9 man SnG 4.000 chips is usually enough to cash and have a good shot of taking it down. So with a stack this size it can make a lot of sense to nit up and let the other guys bust each other, until only two of them are left.

Ziadfox

Ziadfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every time I go with my gut I get a bad beat. I’ve had AK lose to some odd hand like 69 suited or 28 ... it’s very frustrating because I lose to those hands 99% of the time especially if the aggressor is from Russia ��

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will be times where I listen to my gut if I have a good hand and lay it down. I think in a tournament, I'm usually playing aggressively preflop with AKo, only if there has been 4 bets before the action reaches would I fold it. I don't think I'm really ever laying down KK or QQ preflop considering the combos of AK the opponent could have.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing is "gut feels", another if this was even a theoretically correct call. And chances are, it was probably not. When someone else has already called, you need a stronger hand to overcall. And depending on stacks sizes AK might not be quite good enough.

Moreover in a 9 man SnG 4.000 chips is usually enough to cash and have a good shot of taking it down. So with a stack this size it can make a lot of sense to nit up and let the other guys bust each other, until only two of them are left.

Well said! I have called others all in when I am the chip stack and really should not have. Thanks for your response.

D

DamocValentin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's simple. Don't go all in before flop. You won't lose from stupid reasons :)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had to deal with exactly what you are talking about. I managed to rein in my emotions (and sense of entitlement) by using 2 post-it notes on my screen. One said take your time and have a reason for every bet. The other said trust your gut. I found that my gut feeling was a brief moment of intuition right after the action took place. So if the other guy shoved my intuition would kick in for a few seconds almost right away. then it would fade and my ego driven brain would take over and say, nah, I've got this....needless to stay I usually didn't "got this".

So when I learned to slow down and try to come up with a reason for my next move (and a plan for the whole hand) I started to realize I had no good reason to call the shove. It wasn't easy but I actually started to play smart instead of stupid.

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AIPF, especially in SNGs, should be a purely math decision. What's their range for shipping, and how does your hand hold up against that range? Early in a tournament when you have no reads to go off, you should at least have a general feel for the type of play at that level of stakes.

From micro to mid stakes in a 9 man SNG, I'm not dumping AK, QQ, or KK preflop unless I have a very specific read. Too many people flip over a lower pair, or a worse Ace AIPF to not make this +EV.

dopustim

dopustim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intuition often brings.I think to make a straight. oops. bad luck.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When I feel like im beat I look at how much I have in the pot. If I have nothing in the pot its easy to fold ak, aq, or sm. to middle pairs. I do it in almost every tournament I play. Its a good thing to get used to so try it. You will start to win more tournaments and you will know its because you can fold a good starting hand. Took a long time to learn that one.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure I want to gamble that much with AK if it is early in the sit and go and blinds are low.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like pushing all in preflop unless I am down to 10BB or less. Occasionally I may try to just buy the blinds and ante with a small pocket pair by jamming preflop. But that is only if I am big stack at the table. That way even if someone calls I still have some value to going into the flop with and I'm not losing my entire stack in the worst case scenario. But even then I dont do it very often.

With the situation you were in you should've just folded it. Of course in hindsight you know this but with the read you had on him, knowing he must've had a monster, sometimes it just better to save the chips and play another hand. It does hurt to fold a great hand like AK but I have done it a few times when I'm getting raised and reraised preflop knowing I'm going against some monster hands.

It is always better to know you lost nothing than to think you couldve won everything.

Yes, it is nice to take down huge pots but instinct separates good poker players from great poker players. Trust your guts when you know you have good reads on your opponents.

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a 9 man sit-n-go today i had most chips 4000 and these two lower chips players one i know played really lose and figured i had him beat which i did. But the second caller was very tight have played him many times and know he had to have either QQ KK AA to call an all-in i had AKo and I told myself he has a big pocket pair most like KK's that is what i told myself. I was right he had KK's and beat me. He was than chip leader and i was taken down to 2000 chips. Do any of you struggle with calling when you got a big hand but know before you call that your beat, but still call. I have what i like to call entitlement tilt. I play really great get to be chip leader and because of my own self entitlement think i can't be beat and than lose all that i built up sometimes just before the bubble. anyone have any advice on how to deal with this kind of problem. It is my downfall every time i play. Don't seem to find much help because everyone else deals with bad beat tilt. Phil hellmuth has this problem. anyone have any advice please share it with me. thanks

100% my friend. I think one of the most important aspects of improving your game is taking that next step and really starting to calculate pot odds and knowing how many times you have to be right for that call or play to be profitable.

The other thing is just time. You really trust your gut more often than not and you learn whether thats biting you or helping you in the long run. Sometimes its okay to just let em go and on to the next.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always listen to yourself. Period. Even if it's shows like a mistake, not problem at all, you will learn and get the best from that mistake. If you did not made that mistake, how would you know witch is right or wrong.
Have a strong will, also have a high believe in yourself as you are the leader of your ship. Don't be afraid to take the risk, when you think that your hand is good enough, put a pressure to the opponent , bet, raise, re-raise him, as you're playing a lot of time you sure have already build up some conjecture for others hands.

Poker Tells