Calculating Equity...(vs. random hands?)

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All!

Hope everyone is staying sane during these times.

I had a question about calculating the equity of my hands.

It seems that everywhere I look, how to calculate equity is explained with the same type of example, that being: if, for instance, you have a diamonds flush draw, you have 9 outs (since there are 2 diamonds in your hand and 2 on the flop), so that equals like 9*4=36% hand equity.

Okay, simple enough. And a cool rule.

But what I'm wondering, and what I've yet to find, is the equity of any other hand in poker.
It seems that all the examples only mention flush or straight draws etc. But like, what would my hand equity be with a pair of 8s unsuited, for instance, vs. a random range?

It seems that to use the equity calculators like equilab, etc., I need to type in specific ranges that I'm up against, but why can't I just type in a random range? Like how do i figure out hand equity of a pair, or hell even like an Ace with a 7 kicker, vs. a range of random hands?

Hm and I guess past the flop, I would need to learn to range my opponents to properly calculate my equity? Hm. I guess how can I learn to range my opponents also?

Hopefully this makes SOME sense and that you might be able to provide any insight at all would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In equilab, you can enter a completely random hand. A pair of 8s (which would always be unsuited) is 69.16% against a completely random hand. The issue is that people don't call with completely random hands. I mean, you might have someone who plays every hand to the flop, but after that you probably need to start narrowing it down.

If you want, you can do this in equilab too. On the right, click on the pie graph after you enter a flop and/or turn. Then you can check which hands you think the opponent will continue with (pairs, flush draws, gutshots, overcards, sets, etc). You can take that back to the main screen, see how you do against that. Enter the next card, narrow the range more, etc.

I recommend playing around with it. It's very neat.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In equilab, you can enter a completely random hand. A pair of 8s (which would always be unsuited) is 69.16% against a completely random hand. The issue is that people don't call with completely random hands. I mean, you might have someone who plays every hand to the flop, but after that you probably need to start narrowing it down.

If you want, you can do this in equilab too. On the right, click on the pie graph after you enter a flop and/or turn. Then you can check which hands you think the opponent will continue with (pairs, flush draws, gutshots, overcards, sets, etc). You can take that back to the main screen, see how you do against that. Enter the next card, narrow the range more, etc.

Dude, thank you so much. I will try this! And yeah, that makes sense! People don't just call with completely random hands so I can narrow them down a bit...ahh...so I see how the whole thing starts now...Alright...I think I can go somewhere with this...Thanks again!

Mark

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How does an utter beginner go about starting to range my opponents? Let's say I raise 15 cents for 2cent/5cent pre-flop and this guy calls. Is there some standard range that can be assigned to people that call a 3x big bling pre flop raise?

Thanks so much again for your time,
Mark

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A standard range? Not really. It depends a lot on the player and the stakes.

We can assume most loose passive players (your recreational players) are calling with lots of Broadway cards, suited cards, Ax hands, and pairs. They probably raise KK-AA and maybe AK.

So maybe something like this:

[ 22-QQ
A2s+, K2s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 75s+, 64s+
A2o+, K9o+, QTo+ JTo]

Now this is a huge range. And maybe your opponent will not play all of these or will play more than this or would raise with many of these. It is an art. When someone calls and you see their hand at showdown, look at it and see if you can figure out their range.

If they show 7c4c, you can be pretty sure that they will play better suited hands.

If you have tracking software and can see their percentages, that also helps you figure out what they are likely to play.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All!

Hope everyone is staying sane during these times.

I had a question about calculating the equity of my hands.

It seems that everywhere I look, how to calculate equity is explained with the same type of example, that being: if, for instance, you have a diamonds flush draw, you have 9 outs (since there are 2 diamonds in your hand and 2 on the flop), so that equals like 9*4=36% hand equity.

Okay, simple enough. And a cool rule.

But what I'm wondering, and what I've yet to find, is the equity of any other hand in poker.
It seems that all the examples only mention flush or straight draws etc. But like, what would my hand equity be with a pair of 8s unsuited, for instance, vs. a random range?

It seems that to use the equity calculators like equilab, etc., I need to type in specific ranges that I'm up against, but why can't I just type in a random range? Like how do i figure out hand equity of a pair, or hell even like an Ace with a 7 kicker, vs. a range of random hands?

Hm and I guess past the flop, I would need to learn to range my opponents to properly calculate my equity? Hm. I guess how can I learn to range my opponents also?

Hopefully this makes SOME sense and that you might be able to provide any insight at all would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

Vinnie is completely right in his answer.

There are no rules of thumb for this. 88 will have high equity on a lot of flops vs a lot of ranges, and low equity a lot of other times. So the closest you could come might be to say something like:

8 8 on 7 2 2 Rainbow

I put my opponent on a range of mostly random overcards so he has 6 outs twice for 24% equity and therefore I'm around 75%

8s 8c on Kh Qh Jh

My opponent almost always has at least a pair, sometimes a monster, and best case is a draw that's at least flipping against me. On balance I probably don't have much better than 2 outs drawing to a set, which would be 8% equity.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

We can assume most loose passive players (your recreational players) are calling with lots of Broadway cards, suited cards, Ax hands, and pairs. They probably raise KK-AA and maybe AK.

[ 22-QQ
A2o+, K9o+, QTo+ JTo]

Now this is a huge range. And maybe your opponent will not play all of these or will play more than this or would raise with many of these. It is an art. When someone calls and you see their hand at showdown, look at it and see if you can figure out their range.

If they show 7c4c, you can be pretty sure that they will play better suited hands.

If you have tracking software and can see their percentages, that also helps you figure out what they are likely to play.

This is SOO helpful!! Literally exactly what I was looking for and it makes perfect sense that somewhere around that range would make sense for a calling range. This truly is going to help me so much in getting started ranging my opponents! You da man!

Cheers,
mark

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There are no rules of thumb for this. 88 will have high equity on a lot of flops vs a lot of ranges, and low equity a lot of other times. So the closest you could come might be to say something like:

8 8 on 7 2 2 Rainbow

I put my opponent on a range of mostly random overcards so he has 6 outs twice for 24% equity and therefore I'm around 75%

8s 8c on Kh Qh Jh

My opponent almost always has at least a pair, sometimes a monster, and best case is a draw that's at least flipping against me. On balance I probably don't have much better than 2 outs drawing to a set, which would be 8% equity.

Okay! So are you saying you put them as having 6 outs because with 2 overcards, let's say a 8 and a 10, they have 3 other 8s and 3 other 10s that could lead to pairs for them?
Thanks so much man,
mark

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

[ 22-QQ
A2o+, K9o+, QTo+ JTo]

Like it's just so helpful haha I can't say this enough. I've finally now started to be able to understand how to predict and start to refine my predictions of opponents ranges during my online play. Like when I just saw this guy re-raise, I looked at the range of hands chart and was like okay, he must have something like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, etc etc. and so on, and then I get to see what he actually had (which was a KT) if it goes to showdown, and then this helps me to continue to refine!

Idk why I was just so kind of lost before and didn't even understand how to start. So this basic range that you mentioned was so helpful and made so much sense.

Cheers again haha

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

[ 22-QQ
A2o+, K9o+, QTo+ JTo]

Omg and I just saw that Equilab has "open raising charts" with predefined ranges that you raise with in different positions. Sweet! Okay I'll stop being annoying now.
Cheers

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You're not at all annoying. I love this kind of stuff and enjoy talking about it. There are also charts for calling raises and three bets there. Those can give you an idea of where to start when building a range for people. Just remember that your opponent doesn't necessarily need to follow those charts. I didn't mention those because I forgot if I had downloaded them separately. I guess not, they must come with it. Equilab is amazing for what it does for free.

The more you play and develop ranges for the stakes and sites you are playing at, the better idea you will have of the ranges. Those charts are a good place to start adjusting.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not at all annoying. I love this kind of stuff and enjoy talking about it. There are also charts for calling raises and three bets there. Those can give you an idea of where to start when building a range for people. Just remember that your opponent doesn't necessarily need to follow those charts. I didn't mention those because I forgot if I had downloaded them separately. I guess not, they must come with it. Equilab is amazing for what it does for free.

The more you play and develop ranges for the stakes and sites you are playing at, the better idea you will have of the ranges. Those charts are a good place to start adjusting.

Okay thanks man haha glad to hear that:)

Sweet yeah I saw those other charts for calling raises and three bets, and then it looks like they also have just a "random" preset range, or things like "only broadway" or "suited connectors" etc! So cool and such a great place to start, like you said.

Cheers!!

K

kohtakiev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opponents equity

8 8 on 7 2 2 Rainbow

8s 8c on Kh Qh Jh

Hello guys,i am a beginner in poker i read and watched the full course and i have also read Collins strategy book which was very helpfull to begin with.Now i am trying to get deeper in poker study.Equity is a very helpfull chapter on the book.I always calculate my odds when playing a hand and trying to put my opponent on a range based on his play but i havent thought that i can calculate my opponents equity.This would be very helpfull.Can you give us some more information of how we can calculate opponents equity like above?
Thanks so much Collin,you really helped me get into poker.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am not sure what you are asking. If you have 30% equity, your opponent would have 70% equity.

K

kohtakiev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks VINNIE.I am refering to Collins post above my question where he has 88 but puts his opopent on a range on the flop and calculates opponents outs to find his equity that 24% is so his equity is 74%.So i always put my opponents in ranges but i need some help to calculate opponents outs.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands