Button position advantages

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing poker for 3 years now but I don't know yet the advantages if your playing in position especially in the button.Sometimes I like to be 1st to act, first to bluff :) But if against good players it will be dangerous..

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It took me some time as well to start appreciating position but once you do, you realize that position is everything. Especially in the button, you get to see what your opponent does first and make your decisions based on that. You can bluff from there as well, you know. You can control the pot size by trying to keep it small by just calling or checking along, or try to make it as big as possible by raising or reraising so you have quite a leverage there in every scenario since you are the last one to act. It really matters. They don't say "position is gold" for nothing ;)

M

Mcash2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the button, you are like a spider in a web. Most often u can hold anything because you aren't likely showing down. Most people are honest and check when they whiff or are worried about their holdings. If they get tricky you fold. Yet on average you scoop much more than you muck.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the value of position is huge, just the fact that you get to play last is a big advantage

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the button you can bluff as well ofcourse. The biggest advantage is that you see what the villain(s) did and you close the action. So you got more info to work with and don't have to worry about someone acting behind you.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The button is similar to the dealer in blackjack. A lot of times the dealer wins even when they don't have a great hand or even if they bust because they are last to act and other people bust first. They have a huge advantage.

Y

Yoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button is most of time bluffing but most of time the others have 34 29 and they wont call.BB will mostly be all in when he have a good hand been convinced that your bluffing on midd late MTTs atleast i saw this is the way to deffending your BB from steelling by button.

yujiizumi

yujiizumi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in position

I'm playing poker for 3 years now but I don't know yet the advantages if your playing in position especially in the button.Sometimes I like to be 1st to act, first to bluff :) But if against good players it will be dangerous..

Always, the small blind is the first to action. When you are on the button, you can see how other players go play. You have a good advantage.

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in position is good, but I find it more useful to fold

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position is extremely important, especially for playing in tournaments, where you often have to make critical decisions pre-flop, because you can not just buy up your stack and often play relatively short.

In a cache, it's more important to play in the later streets, where the position also gives an advantage. Learn to understand and appreciate your position - this is money!

cubons

cubons

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to be 1st in acting, that helps me to do my move without thinking about my opponent :)

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I to prefer have position. You have more information on what happened before you, and what will happen after you, especially if you are last to act and can close the betting. While I understand in some spots against some opponents acting first can have some advantages, I will always prefer to act last if I can.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being in position allows you to act last giving you the information on majority of the board. you can get a read on the players hand strenght base on their actions. If they limp you can put them on a certain based on their range. You can also squeeze once in position allowing you to steal the pot. Only persons you have to worry about are sb and bb and that is based on preflop, once the flop come you can get a read on them as they are the first to act

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer to be 1st in acting, that helps me to do my move without thinking about my opponent :)

That is called gambling, we are discussing poker here. No way you can be successful over any extended period of time playing like that.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
the value of position is huge, just the fact that you get to play last is a big advantage

This ^^^^^ but it doesn't mean that you must play crappy hands on the button like some people do.

And how is that working out for you, can you PLEASE send me a PM with the details of what site and at what table and time you are going to play, I'd love to play on the same table as you. :deal:

:top:

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understood what you wanted to mean, but no matter what you think, position is more profitable nad it's benn proved by real statistics that the money flows from the small blind in direction to the button.
I understand that being the first to act enables you to bluff first, but think with me, when you bluff, you are trying to represent a hand that you don't have, so let's say you donk bet that flop and the guy on the button calls, what will you think now? Well, surely it's not a good situation and you will have to check or double barrel almost your entire stack depending on the type of tournament you are playing, and if you check, boom, he cbet on the turn again, and what you will have to do? Fold
Now almost the same situation, the flop goes on and then you donk bet again, trying to steal the pot right away by bluffing the vilain, but then he reraises you strongly, and what you will do? Well, calling is not a wise nor profitable play, that means, just fold it.

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is similar to the dealer in blackjack. A lot of times the dealer wins even when they don't have a great hand or even if they bust because they are last to act and other people bust first. They have a huge advantage.
I know blackjack if you relate to poker button position, I think its not so mean..

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I do not care about the position I'm in, but I know that in the button you can do a greater analysis of the table because it's the last one to play. I sometimes play in all positions depending on the cards I have in my hand.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being in position and thus knowing when to fold is at least as important than value side of position.

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Position is everything. You have the advantage of knowing if the villain is strong, if he is weak, and even if he is bluffing a few times. Not to mention that if everyone folds to you, you can try to bluff and take the pot depending on the cards that came out on the table.

Q

quake419

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
taking advantage

Well that's a great spot to ride along with big stack or little stack, you need to also have a little knowledge about whom you are playing with and their strengths as you will be in the lead. if you are playing watch the play of your table and play as of aggressive as your knowledge of the game allows you.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the time of my turn to make a decision, I already represent the strength of the hands of opponents, as I closely followed their actions.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The button position is the best position to be in because u get to see the action of all those in front of you. If you dont have a good hole cards you could either fold or bluff, depending on their actions. On the other hand if you have a strong hand you are still in the position to control the game as you want it.
If you are in the early position you could end up losing much if you tried bluffing and the guys behind you would bluff more.