Burn cards? why is this done ?

D

DaAthiest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok all i have been playing poker for 25 years, holdem for only a few and i have a question? why are the burn cards burned? i mean i never see burn cards online and i see sooooo many suck outs online could this be because of those 3 burn cards being in the deck .......and as far as that goes are the burn cards figured into the odds and should it figure in to the outs i think i should have ......its got to change something can anybody offer any insite:thrasher: :party:

R

Riedel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Burned cards are "burned" because someone might've seen them. Ofcourse, sometimes a burned card will be a card you'd want to see. Sometimes you'd have been glad it had been burned. It changes nothing.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards are burned live to prevent cheating.

Burned cards do not factor into the odds or outs because they are unseen cards. Therefore there is no difference between a burn card and the 22nd card in the deck. Both are unknown.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much what he ^ said.

They are to make it harder for a mechanic to set the deck.

Obviously online you dont get mechanics (although the rigged theorists would naturally beg to differ), and therefore it is completely unneccesary to do a virtual burn.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there are online burned cards too. If you read the dealing specs at FT, it suggests there is a burn card. Why?

Tradition perhaps.

The poker God Bernice, the Bumbling Burner of BlueBacked Bicycle Cards would know.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tenbob plays live games, they do it to try & protect the fish.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mechanics, and - I would have thought more importantly - marked cards. With burn cards, the card about to be dealt isn't at the top of the deck.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of reasons for burn cards, the primary one being the most clumsy form of cheating. Marking cards as they are delt, nicking/ marking/ folding corners of cards in a discreet attempt to gain information about the next card to be delt. Simply disgarding "burniing" the top card effictively eliminates this,