Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone,

I am new to Cardschat forum, so i wanted to kick off with a hand that happened recently.
To make the story short, its 3 places away from bubble, I have round 40BB placing me somewhere in the middle of the remaining players. UTG+2 raises 2.5BB, with the blinds being fairly high, and has me covered, 2 players fold to me with QQ.
Here i shoved, racing against A10s and of course losing on the river :D

Any tips regarding what you would do in this spot, is there something I could change in the future?

R

Reprise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had 40BB and the player that covered you and called, he must have been a lunatic. That's why I love tournament poker. Was this online or live?

Btw, I wouldn't have changed anything.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was online, on pokerstars...

Since i had a solid stack, I kind of wanted to get called and win, because I am always looking at winning the whole tournament if possible. Still, once i called i had a bad feeling it will be a bad call, and that i should have just folded, and wait the money...

I still can't balance out my range, and the way to play it, once the bubble is near...

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why u shove with 40bb? You have chips for nice raise here.. 8-10bb and see the flop.. if ther no over card on flop hand is yours after big bet.. no need to see river;)

J

jefrock21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not that is worth anything, but you got your money in with best hand. I'm guessing A-10 had an obscene amount of chips to call. When I am around the bubble and have that many BB left I would raise enough to get people to win blinds and antes, but save myself enough to get away if the flop goes bad.

You were trying to win, so you did what was right for you, unfortunately you got outflopped.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@PokerNuts01

I figured that if I raise and get reraised I would be in a tough spot, this way, going all in, I wanted to get aces (except maybe AK) to fold, as well as some suited connectors, also there are numerous flops i dont like, everything between 567 rainbow to flops with A or a K, as i know that the guy with the big stack can raise lightly preflop...

@jefrock21

I got outrivered :p

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand what you are saying but I agree more with a decent raise and a solid continuation bet if the board is friendly. This should chase out the same hand s you outlined before without putting so much at risk.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a min raise and no reason to shove. You can call or re-raise. I would re-rasie and call if the villain raised again outside of a shove. These players will play any ace. If they were dealt one card by mistake and it was an ace, yeah they'd shove with it.
I don't like this shove in suck a micro pot but it's not wrong. It's just variance that he doesn't know the fold an inferior hand.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually thought about "These players will play any ace" a lot. How does anyone play against that?
If we were to think of every low stakes player as stated above, wouldn't it become impossible to read hands, or at least put them on a certain range.

How would u play any pocket pair if an ace comes on the flop?

Perhaps this should be a topic for itself :D

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you had to do a 3-bet. If the flop no A or K - then you can put all-in. On the bubble, you need to put all-in on the preflop with QQ when you have a small stack or when you are a chip-leader.

Last edited:
K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a horrible decision.

40bb on the bubble???? I guess if you had AA or KK, but QQ is pretty weak to hang my while tournament on.

Just a bad decision.

Call me crazy, but I like to see more than just two cards before all of my money goes into a pot! - DANIEL NEGREANU

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was posted back on another thread that you are only going to win a race like that about 60% of the time. I like to raise and see flops so that I can make a decision to push or fold. I do not like to get into All In situations in a tournament especially on the bubble of the money. If you hit a set on the flop or you know you have the nuts, then go all in. Otherwise, just keep your cool.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many players will chase any ace. Your shove is a bit much tho. That's a spot where you are likely leading but a nice raise is much more affective. Some players may think you are trying to steal the the pot with an over bet and call. You got your chips in ahead and that's all you can try to do. If your trying to win the tournament then playing aggressively on the bubble is vital. It's a great time to chip up a great deal. Seeing a flop may have saved you from elimination. Obviously you may have picked up the pot preflop but is that all you wanted to do with QQ? I would put in a 3bet and go from there. If they shove then I'm calling.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not have pushed your 40bbs, could apply 4bet and if the opponent paid, you would bet another bomb on the flop and turn, surely your A10 opponent would fold and not have a river. Haha