Books About Putting People On Hand Ranges

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that the next step I need to take to improve my game is hand reading and putting my opponents on hand ranges. I have been studying the stuff online. A lot of what I read seems just like a regurgitation of the last thing I read which was a regurgitation of the read before that. Every now and then I find something halfway decent, and on a rare occasion I find something to be a really good lesson in hand reading. I would really like to find a good book or two dedicated to hand reading and putting opponents on a range. Have you come across such materials yet? What books would you recommend? Please help me find that great hand reading tome I need to take my game to it's next level.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for online hand ranges and the basics of the opponents / ranges reading, I think that you should look into Fundamentals of Exploitative Online Poker. Author lists all kind of players you can categorise using HUD stats and gives examples of a hands and putting those players on certain ranges.

You've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't, there is an interesting post from Jonathan Little on that subject: http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-blogs/96-jonathan-little/entries/562451-in-depth-hand-range-analysis
And Doug Polk wrote a post about that long time ago, which is quite short, but also interesting to see: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/3...hy-you-suck-unl-part-six-hand-reading-243042/

There is also Poker Workbook: Hand Reading For Live Players Vol 1 (you can buy it as well with flopzilla license here). I haven't read this book yet, but I have it on my list as reviews are promising. So I cannot recommend it myself, but it is definitely worth considering.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. this book is not as much as "putting on a range" book but more of a "ranges" in general, but matthew janda - "applications of no-limit hold'em " could be on of the best poker books ever writen and defenetelly on of the best books on the subject. But be warned, some concepts are a)advenced and b) are not aplicable to alot of games(micros and lows sometimes) as you will not really need balancing check-rasing turn ranges agains ops who are calling with 2nd pair in 3bet pot 3 streets.
2. you have to be more specifcit what you mean when you say "ranges". RFI ranges can are sumed in ~25% hands in 6max and ~18% in FR, thoug UTG and BU will differe, right? calliung 3bets will be ~3-6% but again , who are you playing against? how many people are in the pot?.... that stuff =)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a free resource my friend that is good. It's not just specific about hand ranges, but goes into that in different areas very specifically.

http://www.acepokersolutions.com/free-poker-books/

I've heard good things about Janda's book as well, but I haven't read it. Those are 2 good options.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands